Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opening Bid is only a mere $100,000.00 (No Scan? Zero Feedback? Grade? Card?)

Such a deal! 1937 Black & White Pie Traynor (What's that?)

LINK!

Seller wants $ 100,000? (What's he smokin'?)

No Scan!

Zero Feedback!

rbd

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Why does someone waste there time and fee setting up this type of auction. I think even the most nieve Ebayer would sniff this one out.

Stingray
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    "Hi Ma....yeah, the weather is great here....I'm working on a six figure deal as we speak...."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    The theory is that out of 17 bazillion people wandering around on eBay, perhaps 50,000 are stupid / gullible enough to believe anything they read. Of those, 5,000 can achieve a level of stupidity / gullibility that allows them to enter a bid on such an auction. These people probably buy a lot from HSN and late-night TV ads. Of those folks, 50 might actually stumble across your auction. Of those, 5 might actually want what you're selling and bid on it. This is basic scammer math. Sure, only 0.1 percent of the market might fall for your pitch, but scammers don't care about the other 99.9 percent.

For this seller, however, the math works against him. What are the chances that anyone with $100,000 in liquid cash to spend on eBay is that stupid or gullible? You won't find people with that kind of juice in the larger group of potential marks who just fell off the turnip truck -- never mind in the final 5 who might bid on your item.

So either the seller is a turnip-truck passenger himself, or this is just an exercise in masturbation with some other goal in mind. I'm guessing the former ... perhaps some clueless 13-year-old who traded his collection of 2003 Upper Deck A-Rods to an older kid for an obscure reprint card he was told was real and worth a fortune, just like that real old Homer Waggoner card.

• Options
    Snipe bid is placed. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Hi Ma....yeah, the weather is great here....I'm working on a six figure deal as we speak...." >>

Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Hi Ma....yeah, the weather is great here....I'm working on a six figure deal as we speak...." >>

hilarious..

·p_A·
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ya that was a great one.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>perhaps 50,000 are stupid / gullible enough to believe anything they read >>

i think the seller is in this group