Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I need some ID help on some ancient Persian coins

I know almost nothing about these ancient Persian things other than that they are pre-Islamic, silver and neat. Any ID help would be very much appreciated!

Coin 1: Sassanian Empire, AR Drachm, 30mm
imageimage

Coin 2: Sassanian Empire, AR Drachm, 28mm
imageimage

Coin 3: Sassanian Empire, AR Drachm, 26mm
imageimage
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    I don't know much about these but this link might prove helpful.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I was gonna post that link image

I'm really not good at IDing these and haven't tried to pin down the rulers yet, but I think these are your mints (right-side inscription on reverse):

1. ST - Persepolis
    2. ShY - Shiraz
    3. BYSh - Bishapur

Again, I'm clueless so someone'll need to second this. But hopefully it's a start at narrowing things down.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Interesting site, but this may take a little time!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Here's some more guesses: My gut says the first two are from Khusru II and the last may be an Arab imitation.

Regnal years (reverse left-side inscription), same caveats as before:
    1. 27
    2. 33
    3. UNK

Though they're all pretty well clipped, I think the inscription outside of the obverse border on #3 may be bism Allah, but it kinda looks like too many letters so I dunno.

You might want to try asking at this forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting site, but this may take a little time!image >>

They look like they're worth investing the time to learn about. Very interesting coins. My guess is that they are tougher to find in decent shape than their prices might suggest.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They look like they're worth investing the time to learn about. >>

I agree, I have never owned any of these before and I'd like to know more about them before I sell them (if I sell them).

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    If I'm right on the second one (and I'm fairly certain on this one), that it's a Khusru II, year 33, then you at least have an interesting talking piece. Year 33 of his reign translates to 622AD--the year of the Hajj. This is the closest type you get to a coin that circulated in west Arabia in the time of Mohammed. (that and contemp. Byzantine)

PM me whenever you get tired of it. image
  • Options
    I asked about the second at another forum and I was right: Khusru II, Year 33/622AD, Shiraz mint. The inscription in the obverse margin is "AFID", meaning "praise", which apparently is fairly common on later Khusru II coins.

Ah, shoot... I was just plagiarizing! Here's the link to the guy who really knows. image

But it looks like that solidifies the attribution on the first too: Khusru II, Year 27/616AD, Perseopolis mint with obverse marginal AFID/praise. Just have to find out what the last is now!