Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I just got back from the National...literally.....

and it is after midnight. A little over 8 hour drive back to home in Lincoln NE. Here are the highlights of my 3 days at the show and my first National. Sorry I am an idiot for putting in scans, if someone wants to bail me out with all of the links I have added, I would appreciate it!

1) Met Acowa almost immediately when I got to the show on Thursday at the PSA booth. An absolute great guy. Took time to introduce himself and we talked cards for a few minutes. Nice pick up on the pinball machine!

2) Suprisingly there was a lot of Vintage golf cards. I picked up a nice 1948 Kelloggs Pep Sam Snead RC. It is off centered a bit but the surface on these cards is always in horrible shape and this one is very very nice. I recently sold a PSA 3 for over $300 and I am hoping this may come back a 5.

Sam Snead Kelloggs Pep Rookie

3) Traded some Wheaties golfers and some $$$ for a very nice 51 Berk Ross (I know I know) Ben Hogan RC. Got this from Bill MacAvoy who is also a fellow Nebraskan. If you have not dealt with Bill before, do so. He is one of the best there is and always has some fabulous material.

Hogan Berk Ross

4) As Alan mentioned in another post, when he saw me I had a PSA 9 1928 Churchman Men of the Moment small size Bobby Jones, and a 1928 Millhoff Bobby Jones graded a PSA 8. I met with fellow collector Mike Dobrynio who is chasing down building a Bobby Jones player sets all in PSA 8 and 9. He also was grading an Abdulla Jones (one of his rarest cards) and a couple of 1935 Pattreiouex Jones cards. He also was submitting a very cool 1936 Goudey Joe Dimaggio Premium. I got back a 1928 Churchman PSA 8 of Bobby Jones as part of our deal. We both left quite pleased. Here is my lower graded Jones albeit still a very very nice one!

PSA 8 1928 Jones

5) The Luncheon was great!!!! I met many of you who wisdom I read on a regular basis. Wolfbear, Funky Frank, The King!!! There are many more but too many people were gawking at all of the graded golf cards that Mike and I had on the table that I can't remember everyones name! Thanks for all who stopped and said hi. A special mention goes out to Ron Hobbs, who has an incredible collection and now warns me to look out for him on the Registry as he got some fabulous 1927 Churchmans graded. Ron- glad to have another get bit by the golf bug.

6) I picked up two cards I was hoping to find. Since I want to keep my kidney and I did not win powerball recently, I picked up a couple of nice Goudey Sport King Golfers from Rick Kahle who I have bought and sold some items with on ebay in the past. Rick was an absolute pleasure and cut me a deal I simply could not pass up. Both of these are centered a bit off but still have great eye appeal and were a can't miss for the price!

Hagen

Jones

7) I finally got to meet Cosetta at the PSA booth. Cosetta you are twice as nice in person as you are over the phone and email, and that is saying quite a lot. The pleasure was truly all mine. Thanks for all of your help in keeping all of us happy all of the time!

8) I have to give it up for Joe Orlando. He was visable, available, and took time to talk to a whole lot of people including me. It may sound strange to those of you reading this who were not at the National, but not one Card Company had a prominent player from the front office available to discuss what is working well and what isn't. What can we do better??? The manufacturer's would be in better shape if they followed the PSA business model for PR work at major shows. Kudos to you Joe for asking for feedback from us the collector.

9) The autograph lines today were very long but the folks in charge kept it moving. One of the guys with me was getting a Dwayne Wade. Other than the fact he was about 50 minutes late, things moved quick. The funniest part of the autograph pavillion were the middle-agers walking the circle around a group of tables which included Kevin Van Damm, Penny Marshall, Jeri from survivor, Lorenzo Llamas, and 3 Playboy playmates. Wonder who was making them spend so much time there.

10) Sorry this has turned into a monster long post. One last item is to show you are the last things I picked up this week!

Hagen Pep Stamp
Sarazen

Happy Collecting!

Dave
Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Sounds like you had a great time! Congrats on your finds.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I like the looks of the Kellogg's sports stamps. How much did they cost?
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    They were expensive. I saw a number of them at the show and the price range was incredible. I really don't know what these typically go for, but I was happy to pick them up for the price I did considering what some of the others ones at the show were priced at.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I like those Pep Sports Stamps also.
    And I'll ditto your take on Cosetta - she's a valuable asset.
    Wish I could get her to work for me!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Dave, I submitted this card at the show. I have no idea what it is worth. According to the pop report, this is a 1 of 1, however, im not sure if they updated it yet. I think it may be a 1 of 2. Any Idea what its worth??

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Yep it is a 1 of 2 now. I have just the Hogan and not the panel graded an 8 myself. The golf card section of the SMR lists the Hogan alone in PSA 8 at $825. Yours being a panel should be worth a bit more IMO>

Dave
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Not bad for $75

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    WOW.

I missed that one Dave. I did some good old fashioned trading for mine, but $75 is a steal! Wish I would have seen it first!!!image
  • Options
    You didnt miss it. I bought it from mickeys sportscards online about 6 months ago. I took it just to get graded and thought it had a great shot at 8.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

That's a nice 1951 Berk Ross. SHS has a nice PSA 8 double panel also, you can see it in his World Golf HOF set. I've also seen the single panel Ben Hogan in PSA 8. I only have a PSA 7 single, but decided it wasn't worth upgrading to an 8.

Great find for only $ 75. Can't go wrong with a HOF rookie card for that price and grade.

Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Golfcollector:
    They're all nice. But I LOVE that Churchman Jones card. Gorgeous!
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image