Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lincoln photos added

CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was feeling ambitious (or boredimage) today, so I photographed all of the Lincolns in my 1909-1958 basic set. I currently have 57 of the 140 coins slabbed, and another 59 raw coins that could be slabbed. I have a hard time justifying spending more on grading fees than the coins cost (most were purchased between 1967 and 1983), but some of them are now worth far more than I ever thought they'd be, so I'll probably bite the bullet and submit a lot of them. I'll never be any serious competition for the top positions in the Registry, but I hope to someday crack into the top 30.

You can check out the pics of my fledgling set here. There are over 150 Lincoln sets registered, yet only a handful have pictures of all of the coins. It would be great to see some of the top sets photographed.

Jim
Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    It would be great to see some of the top sets photographed.

Jim >>

Love your 11-D. Some of those RB coins look pretty close to red to me!
    Happy hunting.
    RegistryNut
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Jim -

I recently embarked on the 1909-1958 set myself after completing my Memorial Set last month.

One thing I have learned is that photographing Lincolns is no easy task. I have put a lot of time into mine.

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR SET!

Toby

• Options
    Great coins, great set, great pictures!! I wish you the best of luck with grades if you submit more.

I think I have the best set in the registry that has lots of pictures. But most of my 1930-2005 coins are raw too. I tried taking more pictures yesterday, esp of the 63-d,72-s,73-d and 86 but they came out too blury to use. I might give them another try today.

Lincoln Cents
    Lincoln Memorial Cents

Also, just wait until I add this coin to my set. Check out this picture!
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Cocoinut nice pictures of your coins. Great to see more set with Photo's Lincoln sets all have Photo's and proud of them. Just upgraded my camera so my pictures will be a little better image quality then before more detail on the coins. Al Ellwood said it is a lot of work for each coin to be shot, loaded, sized, reloaded to the site. I think Homerun Hall should have given a best Photographed Set an award. Anyone can have a set but to put all the work in loading all pictures of a set, now that is real dedication to the Hobby. I still would like to know why they won't put a counter on each set to see how many people view the sets. The set's across the street (NGC) do have counters. Maybe when they update the program as he stated in QA recently. To check my new pictures check out the Blues on my Red White & Blue LincolnSET in this set I put my nicer coins. I have a 1936-D in MS-64 Red that blows away both of my MS-66 Red lincolns one in my 1909-1958 Basic and one in my 1909-1958 W/Varieties. Sent this in raw hoping for a 66 but no luck. It is as nice as both 66's with very few marks or ticks but absolute stunning 67 quality surfaces. Good luck on getting any decent grades as of late the graders have been real tough.image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    Nice Pics Cocoinut , I will be adding pics of all of my Indians in the future, You have a super set
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very nice set you have started thereimage I just sent a group of my Lincolns to mgoodm3 to have him image them for me. It'll be great to update my lincoln set with some really quality pics.image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Jim,

Nice photos..good details and quite an accomplishment and labor of love.

As a long time student of photography, it appears that your camera was set on automatic white balance, which as you can see, when you use artificial light, it's anything but automatic. The camera, ifit doesn't have a custom white balance that you can set, should be set for artificial light rather than on AUTO. You've got a neutral gray background, which is ideal. No matter.

When you have the time, you can fix all the photos so far in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. When the background is compltely neutral to the eye, not reddish, the color of the coin will be far more accurate.

Just trying to help, not minimize your accomplishment.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Toby: Yes. it's difficult to capture the color, detail, and luster. It takes a lot of experimentation to find the best camera settings, lighting, etc.

Lincolns Rule: You have many coins that appear to be choice for the grade. I especially like your '26-S.

Rabbitracks: I like the fact that you don't always use the most common mint from each year.

Ira: I followed your suggestion, and believe that I now have the colors as close to the real thing as possible. All of the pics have been modified or replaced. I found a few of the older dates that I had photographed when I had a better lighting setup, so there are some entirely new images for the 1911-1918 coins.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Cocoinut - I'm glad that you took the time and made the effort to photograh your set. My set's in the same category (ranked #29 I believe) but I haven't posted pics (my boys are in a safe deposit box and I'm lazy). I think I'll take pics of a few of my better ones, 'cause if you're like me, I know how much a good pic will be appreciated. My '32-D in 66RD comes to mind - awesome by anyone's standards, though I haven't seen any of the 4 in 67RD.

Thanks for the pics!

Mike

p.s. Look here...no drooling!!! Linky
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Toby: Yes. it's difficult to capture the color, detail, and luster. It takes a lot of experimentation to find the best camera settings, lighting, etc.

Lincolns Rule: You have many coins that appear to be choice for the grade. I especially like your '26-S.

Rabbitracks: I like the fact that you don't always use the most common mint from each year.

Ira: I followed your suggestion, and believe that I now have the colors as close to the real thing as possible. All of the pics have been modified or replaced. I found a few of the older dates that I had photographed when I had a better lighting setup, so there are some entirely new images for the 1911-1918 coins.

Jim >>

Much, much better, Jim. The ones against the gray background are the best..looks like you re-photographed those after you corrected the white balance in the camera. The others, which you apparently corrected in your imaging program, have a blue background caused by adding blue color to the overly red photos. Still, I'm sure those are closer to the actual coin than before from the color standpoint! Nice job.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Thanks Cocoinut. The image of the 26-s is Ira's image of course. Ira sold it to (board member) marcalan, but Marc was determined to get a 100% red pcgs set so he sold it to me. I won't buy any red 26-s unless it's just as nice looking. I would love to see an image of Stewart or Gerry's 26-s, or the lone pcgs 65rd, but have never seen such.