Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Too Tawl's Version of the ANA Show

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
Attendance was light at best. This had to be the lowest turnout in the paqst 3 years. The two things I kept seeing on everyone's tables were Morgans and 50 cent commemmoratives. I searched for a 1892 Barber Half in the 45 to 50 grade range. I could only find good-3s or Proof 66s. I did find a VF Barber half that looked real good until I turned it over and noticed a small black spot. Yepper..carbon spot.

The vast majority of people that I met were people from the East Coast. I did manage to meet no more than 5 new forum members. No one wanted to go out and do anything with the exception of Alfalfa, Merc, dbldie55, fooddude, Bryan & Wayne Herndon. Dinner Wednesday was with Bryan, Wayne Herndon and his family. Thursday was dinner with Alfalfa (currency guy). That guy really knows his fractional currency. Friday night was spent at Alcatraz with Merc & dbldie55. I didn't see too many other forum people there. The tour itself was very cool. The view of San Francisco at night from the island was simply amazing. After Alcatraz, the three of us went around the corner from the Moscone Center to a place call Mel's Drive-In. While it wasn't a drive-in, you were instantly transported into the 1950s. Everything from the music that was playing, to the waiters and waitresses dressed in the 50s stle car-hop outfits, to the menu that look like it came from American Grafetti. We all figured that Lucy would be singing in the middle of the aisle! I said, no she wouldn't. She would get on top of the counter or of the tables and go nuts!
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had some fun Cliff.

So they let you out of Alcatraz.image

Wish I could have made it out there but...oh well.

Thanks for sharing your report!!
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hey Cliff,

You should've been at Oshkosh instead !!!

Get your prioirties straight, man !!!

imageimage

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for filling us in on the ANA fun.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I've been to a few shows in my short collecting life but I've never seen so many commems in one place. Most people that I talked kept mentioning how light the turn-out was. Maybe at the next ANA, we can have big parties like we did in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tootawl nice to meet you Wednesday. You see, on the west coast it's different. While you folks from the East like to spend
    your time all week socializing holding handsimage etc. .....Over here we're grabbing the coins man. No wonder you didn't find what you were looking for.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I didn't find what I was looking for 'cause it wasn't here. I looked for 2 days!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alcatraz tour was very informative. While I carried a camera the entire time, I never took a picture. I asked tootawl for a copy of the digital photos he took, and what did he do? He burned a CD of them last night. I am looking at them now and they look great.

The reason the let him out is he could not fit in the cells, he is too tawl.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Just messing with ya.image Sorry you didn't find it. Should have told me I would have sniffed it out.
  • Options

<< <i>The alcatraz tour was very informative. While I carried a camera the entire time, I never took a picture. I asked tootawl for a copy of the digital photos he took, and what did he do? He burned a CD of them last night. I am looking at them now and they look great.

The reason the let him out is he could not fit in the cells, he is too tawl. >>

I am very proud to say that I didn't hit my head on anything on the island or on the boat. I came very close a few times!

Stman, no biggie. I'm just happy that I got a 1891 Martha ace (it's a currency thing). I'm in no rush to get the Barber half. There's always Baltimore and other places. I go to most shows for the social atmosphere.
  • Options
    dbldie55, You have to tell the story of how Merc (Curt) got his Alcatraz tour ticket. Talking about being in the right place at the right time!
  • Options

<< <i>You see, on the west coast it's different. While you folks from the East like to spend your time all week socializing holding handsimage etc. ..... >>

People on the east coast like to drink and party more! image
  • Options

<< <i>People on the east coast like to drink and party more! >>

Yeah I used to go to the bar for that stuff. Hey you could have taken a little ride up to the Bunny ranch and.... ah, never mind.
  • Options

<< <i>dbldie55, You have to tell the story of how Merc (Curt) got his Alcatraz tour ticket. Talking about being in the right place at the right time! >>

When I got to the show I picked up my tickets for the mint tour and the Alcatraz tour. There was an envelope with my name that they gave me. It had two tickets for everything. On Friday, we were talking about the tour when Curt came over. He mentioned that he was screwed out of his ticket due to an "error". I then gave him my extra and we all went to prison for the night.

I do want to mention that I met a lot of wannabe's at the show and they had some interesting stories about the title.

My true fun came tonight when I got back to my room. I was sitting here (right here where I am now no less) when someone was trying to get it. It was a gal they had given my room to. Pretty soon I get a knock on the door from security asking me to talk to the front desk. I call them and they say someone called from my room and said they were checking out. Well it wasn't me and I thought things were set. Pretty soon another person is trying to get in. They gave the room to yet another person. Call the front desk again and they say it is all set now. I am afraid to leave as I may not be able to get back in to get my stuff.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cliff, we'll have to make sure to get a big group of us together at the Baltimore show!
  • Options
    If we do, fine. If not, no big deal. I'm not going to try to have a get together anymore. Someone else can try.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had more fun socializing and sight seeing around SF that you did at the Coin Show!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    I am bewildered about several posters' comments that attendance seemed "light" at the ANA show. This is proably a matter of perception, depending on where the person was at the show. Consider:

1) Huge bourse floor with lots of space in the aisles (compared to more cramped conditions at other shows and even previous ANA events, such as New York City). Although literally several thousand dealers, collectors and members of the public were in the room at one time, they are scattered over more than 100,000 square feet of space.

2) There were two floors: bourse downstairs, exhibits (and registration) upstairs. Both seemed mighty busy, especially on Saturday.

3) Several times on Saturday the registration line snaked around the escalators, and waiting time was about 20 minutes. ANA brought in additional volunteers several times (including current, former and future ANA Board members!) to efficiently get people "pre-registered" while waiting in line and to speed up the processing. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, there were constant streams of people at the Registration Booth from morning through late afternoon.

On another note, Coinstar set up six coin-counting machines to offer no-fee coin counting on Saturday. One young couple wheeled in a baby stroller that carried a large container filled with quarters. They cashed in more than $1,700 in loose change.

-donn-

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    With all the unhappy public coin sellers who just found grandma's jar of coins wasn't worth much--I'd have have loved to get those CoinStar buckets unsearched! Wonder if the local CoinStar guy is a collector??image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also ate at Mel's Drive In and did not see Lucy Bop image
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979

<< <i>Hey Cliff, we'll have to make sure to get a big group of us together at the Baltimore show! >>

It'll be easy enough to meet for lunch in Baltimore for whoever wants to. We'll start a thread that week.

Thanks for the report Tootawl. I hope to go to the ANA show someday.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    Cliff, PM sent about a really nice DDO reverse 1892 Barber. Check that baby out!! Good price also!!image

Carol and I will probably be doing Denver next summer. We'll have smoe parties!image
  • Options
    Did anyone see or meet Doug Baliko from Heritage at the show? and did anyone see prices on 1882-1883CC in GSA holders in MS63 or MS64? and for how much? Thanks
  • Options
    Hey Too Tawl, good seeing you again. Been a while from the new Market show. See you in a few in Baltimore. Pete
    Peter Murphy
    All American Coin Company, Inc.
    150 West High St. #100
    Red Lion, PA 17356
    WWW.AACoinCo.Com
  • Options
    I sat behind tootawl on the bus going down to the pier for the alcatraz tour. Couldn't see a thing!! image Nice to meet you tootawl and dbldie55. I'm back in Texas.
  • Options
    Glad you made it home. I was just happy to get off the island.
  • Options

<< <i>I sat behind tootawl on the bus going down to the pier for the alcatraz tour. Couldn't see a thing!! image Nice to meet you tootawl and dbldie55. I'm back in Texas. >>

This is the guy that siad that no one over 6'5" was allowed to sit in front of him on the bus! image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Too Tawl, good seeing you again. Been a while from the new Market show. See you in a few in Baltimore. Pete >>

Pete is one very cool guy to hang around with. image
  • Options

<< <i>It'll be easy enough to meet for lunch in Baltimore for whoever wants to. We'll start a thread that week.

Thanks for the report Tootawl. I hope to go to the ANA show someday. >>

The ANA will be back in Baltimore in 2008.
  • Options
    Some people that I talked to didn't even know that the World's Mints and exhibits were located upstairs.

Both Friday and Saturday morning, there were no more than 20 to 25 people waiting to get in the main floor.

The only reason they had a line at registration is that they had HALF the number of people doign registration than they had at the Baltimore or Pittsburgh shows.

The PCGS lunch was not that well attended. The NGC lunch had even less people. Halfsense is right. The vast majoity of the people that attnded the lunch were there to receive something. I think Fatman and myself were the few people that didn't get an award. The people cross the street gave out special 5 state quater sample slabs as well as copies of David W Lange's book entitled "History of the United States Mint and Its Coinage". As you could have already guessed, Cameron did get set #1. I got set #4.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was light......I was stop #15 of yn treasure trivia.....during spring show....500 packs of cards were given out and ANA actually ran out.....this show I brought 2,000 Money Plants to give away......only gave a few hundred away at best.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Hi everyone. I'm late with my posting. I had to go to a 4 day science meeting for work right after the NGC lunch and did not get home until last night.

Thanks again dbldie55 for the ANA Alcatraz tour ticket. I just happened to find you and Too-Tawl at the right time. The ANA messed up and didn't receive my fax and payment so they had no ticket for me. Then they messed up and gave dbldie55 2 tickets. I guess it all worked out in the end.

Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    ReeceReece Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    Too Tawl nice to sit with you at the PCGS lunch!! We right coasters are not that bad are we!!image
    RWK
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    Met Tootawl and Dbldie55 and together with Foodude we had dinner together (Mel's Diner, but take out) - a great group of guys & I got to see Tootawls neat paper currency (the Martha bill) and he truly is "TooTawl" (I'm TooShort!) - A fun time at ANA - Foodude and I had a great view of Alcatraz from our room - I think we actually witnesses Tootawl and Dbldie55 making their "Escape from Alcatraz" (Sounds like a good movie title image )
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. Sounded like a good time.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file