Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a triple clipped planchet 70-s Lincoln Cent in a roll.

Pretty neat, eh! Anyone have an idea if it's worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot a PM to SeanQ - He is the man here when it comes to clipped coins.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Pic???
  • Options
    I tried to take pictures of a bunch of stuff today but they came out blury. Yes, I'll pm seanq!
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    who do i go to with a lincoln doubled rim question?
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    Congrats on the find LincolnsRule!!!

Atarian: Without seeing any pics kinda hard to say. It sounds like one possibility it could be a mis-aligned die (MAD). These can somtimes show double rims. Can you get some pics up?

• Options
    my scanner is not giving me clear pics but i can describe it rather well. the outer rim looks like a regular coin. the second inner rim goes from the end of lincolns bust ( where the VDB is ( and its visible the VDB) ) it goes around barely missing the 9 in "1959" all the way the whole IN GOD WE TRUST is shrunken down so its like a micro "in god we trust" . keeps on going the L in liberty looks more like IIBERTY casue the L is pushed in the bottom _ isnt visible . then back around to lincolns bust. .

i was thinking it was post us mint but i cant see that being the case. the other side looks normal. but this is much differnt than any other lincoln cent of that year or any year. what do you think .

ill get my cam back from my ex gf this week cause shes using it for ebay stuff. so ill get it back and get some pics up. but what do you think i have here

edited for:

it looks like

lincoln a little bit of the field then 1959 then right after a rim intentation then very little piece of field and then another intentation for a rim and then like the regualr outer rim. and honestly the L and the "in god we trust " is smushed so its chubby letters barely can read the WE cause its so smushed.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options

<< <i>my scanner is not giving me clear pics but i can describe it rather well. the outer rim looks like a regular coin. the second inner rim goes from the end of lincolns bust ( where the VDB is ( and its visible the VDB) ) it goes around barely missing the 9 in "1959" all the way the whole IN GOD WE TRUST is shrunken down so its like a micro "in god we trust" . keeps on going the L in liberty looks more like IIBERTY casue the L is pushed in the bottom _ isnt visible . then back around to lincolns bust. .

i was thinking it was post us mint but i cant see that being the case. the other side looks normal. but this is much differnt than any other lincoln cent of that year or any year. what do you think .

ill get my cam back from my ex gf this week cause shes using it for ebay stuff. so ill get it back and get some pics up. but what do you think i have here >>

Atarian: Could possibly be a MAD. This is where the obv. & rev. working dies or not properly aligned with each other. A MAD will affect one side of the coin and not the other side. For instance -- the obverse of the coin could look like it's a little off-center and the reverse will not show anything -- perfectly on-center. However, without pics to help us see what's going on -- it could be post mint too. At this juncture I would only be shooting in the dark. When you get pics up -- we'll be able to go from there.
  • Options
    i have a pic its 1.46 mb big , i cant find a way to make it smaller, um ok who wants me to send it to them , or who wants to help me turn 1.46mb into less than 50kb
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    DieVarieties, I've seen many coins with doubled rims, which I believe might be what you refer to as MADs. Sometimes I've seen the edge of the coin doubled too, like a collar clash, even all the way around the coin. I'm glad you're around here to shed some light into these errors and varieties, because I don't know much about them, although I avidly seek them out in change, and have found thousands of different "error" coins.

I believe Atarian's coin is altered, however.

LincolnsRule, nice find!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>i have a pic its 1.46 mb big , i cant find a way to make it smaller, um ok who wants me to send it to them , or who wants to help me turn 1.46mb into less than 50kb >>

Gulp -- yep, that's a big image. Alterian, I'll PM you.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    A triple clip is a great find, as long as it's real and not homemade.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file