Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What type of coin is this

It looks like the rev is re-punched....any ideas on the date? I know it's not 18xx

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a token more than a coin. dunno really though
  • Options
    Mad King George, aka George III, was the reigning monarch from 1760-1820, even though much of that time he was too looney to rule in person.image

Except for the legend, your token resembles KM#608, a 4.1750g ~20mm .9170 gold 1/2 guinea. A real 1787 would be worth between $100 (F) and $500 (Unc), according to Krause.
    Roy

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    During the late 1700s many "tokens" were issued that looked like Guinea and Half Guinea coins. I have a small collection of these that I pick up when I run across them. The story was that they were intended to be used as gaming tokens, but I understand that now and then people would gold plate them and try to pass them off as legal money (which would win you a free trip to the gallows at the time).
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    "In memory of the good old days" token. Made to somewhat resemble a "spade" guinea. As Aelthered states, they were often used as gaming tokens or counters.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    What they said... There were a ton of varieties and dates. Here's one of mine from 1797. You would sometimes see a commercial company's name mixed into the letters of what looked like the spade guinea's legend, such as this one from 1790. They're cheap, or should be; about $3 to $5 max is my limit.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The ones I really like are those that have dates when Spade Guineas were not made, I even have one that is dated 1701 which was before George III was even born. I understand there is a reference book on these, I'd love to find a copy!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I've got a couple of those too. I think some of them, with different legends, were used as store cards.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22