Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Holy Cardshow... The National Was Great

Wow... I went to the National today and I must say, it was 10x better than last years. I didn't think prices were totally out of control, most dealers were very flexible, and nearly every single one of them claimed that the show had been very good for them, which is an excellent sign for the hobby.

I flew in and out today, and in 6.5 hours, I don't think I even saw every table, and I wasn't waiting in lines for auto's... heck, I didn't even eat lunch... it was beyond huge.

But, money was easy to spend... and the pickings were incredible...

Bought a complete 1964 Venezuela Topps set in EX + or -

Picked up several dozen other Venezuelan's, mostly from 1966

Found 1959 Bazooka cards of Maz & Del Crandell in G condition, but uncut from the back panel of the box... they'll clean up real nice

Found a complete run of all 4 variations of 1976 Topps cloth Bob Apodaca

Found, but did not buy, an incredible 1968 Topps 3-D Clemente proof which is believed to have been attached to the 1968 Brooks Robinson proto-type card when it was created. The $20K asking price was a little steep.

Amazing stuff... and PSA had the $4M nickle on display, right next to the PSA 8 Wagner...

Who else here went and what did you get?... got scans?... I'll post some later

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you did very well for yourself Josh WTG!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you had a good time Josh!

Wouldn't mind some scans?

congrats
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    unfortunate i couldnt make it. when it makes its way to the west coast next year, hope its just as good or even better!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I came VERy VERy close to buying a framed, signed picture of Nolan Ryan pummelling White Sox star Robin Ventura.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    julen...if it was signed by both ryan and ventura...i would
  • Options
    We've had that Ryan auto picture in our store a few times over the years. Awesome piece!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Got back yesterday and found that I wish I would have had more time to look around. Actually just ended up buying some 75 PSA 9s and PSA 8s to get my set going, nothing expensive. Actually had more fun just looking around and enjoying the old stuff. Saw a Paige that was PSA 9 for $25,000. Funny thing though was seeing Lorenzo Lamas just sitting there with no one getting his sig.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>Got back yesterday and found that I wish I would have had more time to look around. Actually just ended up buying some 75 PSA 9s and PSA 8s to get my set going, nothing expensive. Actually had more fun just looking around and enjoying the old stuff. Saw a Paige that was PSA 9 for $25,000. Funny thing though was seeing Lorenzo Lamas just sitting there with no one getting his sig.

Stingray >>

Thats really too bad Lorenzo is a really nice guy. I've met him a few times and he will sit and talk for hours if you let him.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Sorry I did not bump into you there. Though I almost took out Penny Marshal, was talking and walking with my brother (who lives near Chicago) at the show, and I turned around and there she was walking at me at a fast pace had to move out the way quickly.

Stingray
  • Options
    I hope to attend one someday.
  • Options
    OK, I gotta ask..........Lorenzo Lamas?.........Penny Marshall????.........No disrespect to these fine individuals but what the heck are they doing at a SORTS CARD convention, signing auto's??? Who's next? That Jarod guy from Subway???

Couldn't they find enough actual sports figures?
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    actually penny marshall has a huge collection of sports memoribila, in fact, she is in the smr guide and also was featured on one of the tv news mags with her collection.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I gotta ask..........Lorenzo Lamas?.........Penny Marshall????.........No disrespect to these fine individuals but what the heck are they doing at a SORTS CARD convention, signing auto's??? Who's next? That Jarod guy from Subway???

Couldn't they find enough actual sports figures? >>

Bow
    Another area for the card companies is the Non-sport area where auto cards are hot as can be - since one is assured thru the company that the autos are good. This may cause them to bring out some stars, if they can afford/get them to attend.

On Penny - besides being a big sports buff, she was the Director of League of Their Own which brings her attention to this day.

I consider it one of the better sports related movies made.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>actually penny marshall has a huge collection of sports memoribila, in fact, she is in the smr guide and also was featured on one of the tv news mags with her collection. >>

Ok, so she's a sports collector and fan, like you or me. I've never seen a card show with auto guests who were NOT sports personalities (athletes), is this common now?

Is it because athletes now want too much money to sign and the only people they can get are actors, and other celebs?

I saw on TV the other day that Willie Aames (8 is enough & Charles in Charge) isn't doing too much nowadays, I'll bet he'd be glad to sign at a show for a couple hundred bucks (maybe even a Big Mac'll do it).
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Bow
    On Penny and her appearance. If interested just scroll down to the part on her.

My first convention was in 1992 in Atlanta - there were all kinds of non-sport activities even then. And there were a few stars signing autos even then.

Pokemon, Yugioh etc. have helped to keep the struggling sports card companies affloat and really helped keep what card shops that are left viable.

I don't need them but the industry does. Diversity is the future.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Bow
    Another area for the card companies is the Non-sport area where auto cards are hot as can be - since one is assured thru the company that the autos are good. This may cause them to bring out some stars, if they can afford/get them to attend.

On Penny - besides being a big sports buff, she was the Director of League of Their Own which brings her attention to this day.

I consider it one of the better sports related movies made.

mike >>

I do realize non-sports is becoming a big part of the collector card market, but when you have a show and it's called the "NATIONAL SPORTS CARD CONVENTION", I'd expect the emphasis to be on SPORTS. Card shop owners use to call their stores "Baseball Card Shops", but almost always had other sports as well. Then the trend changed to calling them "Sports Card Shops". Now, maybe they should start changing to "Collector Card Shops".....and "Collector Card Shows"......and "The National Collector Card Convention".
  • Options

<< <i> I'd expect the emphasis to be on SPORTS >>

Bow
    If there were 800 tables and let's say 50 were non-sport, e.g., that would be about 5-6%?

I think the emphasis is on sports. Are you saying that it should be exclusive? The goal of Tri-star and it's predecessors of the National was to make it truly a Family Outing - and if beanie babies brought mom and kids in - amen to that?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Josh
    Great scans! Are you going to grade the 64s?

How about some infor on the array of cloth sticks you picked up? Are those all the variations on material?

Are going to trim down the Bazookas?

thanx for taking the time to scan
    very interesting
    Mike
  • Options
    NO, I'm not saying it should be exclusive. As long as I've been going to shows there has always been a certain amount of non-sports dealers among the sellers, which is fine I guess. I just think they need to retool the name of the show to be in line more with what might be found there.

When you go to an "antique show", you're not going to find sellers of new CD's and DVD's, just antiques. When you go to a stamp show, you find stamps, not coins, unless it's refered to as a "stamp & coin" show. I'm just saying that if they want to have a certain number of non-sports dealers and auto guests, then the names of these events should reflect that. Who knows, if they did this it might actually bring in MORE people.
  • Options
    A761506 - Sorry to get your thread off topic. Them are some neat things you found at the Nat. Until recently, I'd never even heard of those Venezuelan cards.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I've never seen a card show with auto guests who were NOT sports personalities >>

The only National I attended (AC in 2003) had KISS as autograph guests. I thought it was weird at the time as well.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Josh - did you buy the Venezuelans from David Levin?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    The Bazooka Mazeroski picture is very similar to this Maz pic I bought this week.
    I'll be starting a thread on the pic and others in a few days.
    I need some advice from the experts.

Keith

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The Venezuelans did not come from Dave. The man who I bought the set from actually lived in Venezuela for a couple years in the early 80's and built it himself.

On a side note, I learned quite a bit more about Venezuelan cards from him and several of my previous views on them have changed.

New ranks, based on ease of building a complete set with no glue, paperloss, pen marks, tape residue, etc:

Hardest to easiest: 1967 Retirado, 1964, 1967 MLB, 1967 Winter, 1966, 1968, 1959, 1962, 1960

Now, this goes against the PSA pop. report, but for good reason, I have skewed it with my submissions, as I own the majority of the Venezuelan cards listed in the report. The 1959, 1960 and 1962 set are easiest because there was no album issued, so if they were glued, it was into a scrapbook. The 1959's are slightly tougher than the 1962's just because they are more difficult to find in higher grade, but they do exist. Like the 1960 set, some of the cards are absolutely identical to their US Topps counterpart, and have not been properly identified as being Venezuelan. 1962 set is more difficult than 1960 because of a packaging problem which caused damage to a single card in every pack. The 198 card sets are easier also versus the 370 sets.

The 1964, 1966, 1967 & 1968 cards were all meant to be glued into albums which they distributed with the packs. He actually had a page of an album with a 1966 card glued to it, and you could see exactly why so few survive with no back damage. The 1964 & 1967 cardstock are the flimsiest of all the sets, making the cards much easier to damage.

Unmarked checklists in any set are the most difficult of any cards in the set, and that goes for every year except 1967, which there are no checklists. In years where the checklist was on the team card (1959, 1960), those unmarked team cards are also extremely difficult cards.

-Josh
  • Options
    Also I found it odd that they had Playmates there signing. There are quite a few younger kids there. Did anyone see that dealer who was selling a bunch of video tapes, they were not even sports related movies, I found that odd.

Stingray
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I purchased some great autographed wrestling 8 x 10's for 5 dollars each! I got Lord Alfred Hayes (Dec.), The Crusher, Cowboy Bill Watts, Bob Orton Sr, Yokozuna (Dec), Bobby Heenan and about 20 more! I also saw some rare items that made it well worth the day.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Invaluable info Josh, you are the V King! In regard to packs, did they have Spanish writing on them? Do you have an extra '64 Yaz #210?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Playmate issue, I couldn't believe how much foul language I heard from dealers within earshot of potential customers. Didn't bother me at all, but I can see it being offensive to some show patrons, especially those who were there with their children. If I were on the other side of the tables, I'd like to think I could refrain from dropping gratuitous F-bombs for at least a few hours so as not to alienate anybody who was there to spend money.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Also I found it odd that they had Playmates there signing. There are quite a few younger kids there. Did anyone see that dealer who was selling a bunch of video tapes, they were not even sports related movies, I found that odd.

Yea, I'll take the '64 Yaz, the '69 Ryan and Teenage Tit Freaks please...

LMAO

Julen

RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>Yea, I'll take the '64 Yaz, the '69 Ryan and Teenage Tit Freaks please... >>

damnit julen....you were supposed to PM that to me! that's why i never do business with you!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Was there all afternoon and evening Wednesday,
    all day Thursday, nearly all of Friday and all day Saturday.

There were over 400 dealers set up, so the dozen or two that weren't sports related
    were only a drop in the bucket and easy enough to walk past if you weren't interested.

The non-sports 'celebrities' were mainly off at side tables giving free autos
    while the actual sports stars were in the main auto section where you had to wait in line and pay.

The playmates and glamour girls that I saw signing were stunningly,
    can't-look-away gorgeous and didn't detract from my overall show experience in the least. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"