Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2005 UD Hall of Fame Baseball

I saw the first group of these cards from the $150 tins hit Ebay earlier this week. I was very excited by the quality of the cards and presentation. I grabbed the first few Perez cards I found listed. Now a few days into the release. I have counted no less than 38 different Tony Perez cards in this set. I am sure there are the same or more for the other players as well. All you have to do is search ebay for Nolan Ryan or Mike Schmidt cards from the set to see what I mean. With those prices for the tins and no way to ever complete a set (so many #d to 1, 5, 10, 15, 25 cards in the offering) these have to get absorbed by the player collectors. By my count there are now 165 different Tony Perez cards alone in this issue. I wonder how many player collectors out there plan on chasing this recent UD offering and trying to complete the entire run. As I am at 100% of the Master registry I have looked at the modern cards of Perez to keep me engaged but this may push it too far. I am now looking at finding another set/ player to chase so I can get back to some of the vintage cards this group talks about so fondly. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mcholke - does the Master Registry include every PSA-gradeable Perez card ever produced during his playing days? For many players, there are a significant number of oddball cards that PSA has never graded so far, and thus are not in the registry.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I have sumbitted every card I am aware of related to Perez. There are a couple in the pipeline at PSA to be added to the list but no others. There are some they will not grade, some they graded and no longer grade that got removed, etc. That being said please take a list at the master list and let me know if you see any omissions. Thanks

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I noticed the same thing with Bench. On the auto cards alone, there seem to be countless variations numbered to 15 or 25 each in the UD HOF set. I guess this is the way to hook the low-number crowd. An auto card numbered to 250 doesn't generate much interest these days, but if there are 10 variations numbered to 25 each .... For me that means having to get 10 cards instead of 1, which is the whole idea in UD's marketing dept., no doubt. So I decided not to buy into that and instead just be very selective.

They are gorgeous cards, though. But $150 a tin? What do you get in each tin? From the sales I've seen so far, you won't break even unless you hit the jackpot. It doesn't matter if you only plan to collect 'em, but it sure seems like everybody's just flipping them out on eBay as soon as they open 'em up.