Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Lunch

I was lucky enough to get an invite to the PSA lunch held in conjuntion with the Nation sporstcard convention.

An informal and pretty well set-up affair in my view. Nice food and a treat to meet a few PSAers, staff and members too. Joe Orlando seemed very friendly and sincerly interested in participants questions / comments. He stated PSA will soon begin to grade packs and a grading special for the 50s is shortly forthcoming, among various topics.

A question I asked was about graders qualifications, and Joe responded most are specialized in certain areas / years, every grader does not grade each and every card from each and every set out there. Seems very proper to have it that way.

All in all a very nice perk for us collectors who appreciated a chance to sit down a relax a little from the floor-pounding done at the convention.

Nicely done and thanks PSA !!

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 12, 2017 8:26AM
    nice set
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Thanks for the run down on the lunch guys. Did they tip there hand as to when the 50s special and tall boys special would be coming? I see the August special is on the website and it is for commons after 1972.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 12, 2017 1:15AM
    nice set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< PSA will soon begin to grade packs >>>

That's good news! An "unopened" pack in a GAI slab is certainly better than nothing but I never had full confidence in GAI.
  • Options
    sounds cool, wish I couldve made it
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Yes a big thanks to PSA for a great setup! They are to begin pack grading in early 2006, I am VERY excitied about this news, Joe gave great info and answered any and all questions. Already looking forward to next year.........
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Do you think some time in the near future, it would be wise to dump GAI unopened packs if their value is going to fall when PSA hits this market?
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>grading special for the 50s >>

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  • Options
    I would not recommend dumping the packs....you can always cross them over. From the sounds of things, PSA is going to find creative ways to include graded packs in the registry, this is good news for all us pack collectors! Here is to hoping this will do for packs what the registry did for graded cards! I also hope this will bring new material into the market as some pack collectors do not trust GAI.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    PSA grading packs would be superb!! Everyone I know has been frustrated by the GAI monopoly and poor service. I myself have 65 packs that I have been holding off sending to GAI. Now I'm boxing them up for PSA. Suspect that GAI will take a big hit on this one.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>A question I asked was about graders qualifications, and Joe responded most are specialized in certain areas / years, every grader does not grade each and every card from each and every set out there. Seems very proper to have it that way. >>

Very intersting. This of course makes sense to have the best graders for certain issues grading those particular cards, but this policy would also explain why PSA does not have a first-in-first-out standard for $5 specials. You are at the mercy of the backlog of the grader(s) who specialize in your issues. I felt was very lucky to get my grades back quite quickly during the last $5 promotion, while others waited close to the full 45 business days for their results.
  • Options
    depends if its a GAI graded pack you bought from boyerendeavors, or somewhere else
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options

<< <i>PSA grading packs would be superb!! >>

Yes except now I will have to cross over all my GAI packs.
    Or maybe I shouldn't. I'm slightly afraid of the results.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭

<< <i>I was lucky enough to get an invite to the PSA lunch held in conjuntion with the Nation sporstcard convention.

An informal and pretty well set-up affair in my view. Nice food and a treat to meet a few PSAers, staff and members too. Joe Orlando seemed very friendly and sincerly interested in participants questions / comments. He stated PSA will soon begin to grade packs and a grading special for the 50s is shortly forthcoming, among various topics.

A question I asked was about graders qualifications, and Joe responded most are specialized in certain areas / years, every grader does not grade each and every card from each and every set out there. Seems very proper to have it that way.

All in all a very nice perk for us collectors who appreciated a chance to sit down a relax a little from the floor-pounding done at the convention.

Nicely done and thanks PSA !!

image >>

<< <i>"PSA will soon begin a grading special for the 50's" >>

Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    MANY, MANY, MANY, THANKS ALSO FOR THE FORTHCOMING 50'S SPECIAL------------ TONY
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Any explanation as to why they are going to start grading packs when a year ago at the last luncheon,Joe stated that they would not be grading packs.There was not enough market share or packs to justify the capital outlay.I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that PSA is in litigation with GAI ? Also,whom will be grading these packs ? Seems like all the experts are elsewhere.

I have to wonder if their money and efforts might be better invested in additional graders.The thing that I seem to hear most is that PSA has perceived inconsistent grades and going back to the system of two graders with a third if there is a difference of opinion would probably decrease the perceived inconsistencies,therefore bringing back submitters and increasing revenue.I am in no way judging PSA or their grading practices.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

This isn't rocket science.

From everything I've read, teaching someone how to determine
    if a pack has been tampered with could be taught in a 20 minute seminar.

An 8 hour symposium would be overkill. There's just not that much to it.

Hopefully, PSA will abandon GAI's silly,
    arbitrary grading scale for packs and simply slab them as untampered with.

Back to subject of the original post. The luncheon was great ! Thanks PSA !

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"