Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OC Value???

Newbee with a question...

Browsing e-bay for my 1959 - 8 or better in my mind collection and found a Maris all-star listed as a PSA9- BV $800
Went to listing and saw no mention in listing of card being OC, but was obviously evident on PSA slab.
Emailed lister and he replied..."what's OC?"
Went to his other listings and saw an ungraded 58 Mantle which he said in listing was "off-center"
Emailed him again giving him a small piece of my mind (not much left)

Enough background..my question is this...the Maris was beautiful!!!! except for top/bottom centering which wasn't very bad. Are you experts saying that this card would only be worth a PSA7 value????
ADVICE....Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it

Comments

• Options
    you are correct it has a value of a straight psa 7...however, if you really like the card, buy it. never buy the holder (unless its a 1952 ,53 mantle for authenticity purposes)

and on the registry it will count as a 7 as well..

hope that helps
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Why do people request grading with qualifiers???
    Seems pointless.
    ADVICE....Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it
  • Options
    Because although a 9OC may be worth a similar amount to a 7, the two are descriptions of fundamentally different cards, and depending on the general condition problems associated with the set, the 9OC or the 7 may be considered to be more desirable.
  • Options
    It sounds to me like the reason some people request qualifiers, is the exact reason given here.....so they can advertise a higher grade card and neglect to mention the qualifier.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 9oc versus a 7 or 8? Almost always I'll take a well centered 7 or 8 over a 9oc. If it's a VERY badly centered 9oc unless it would be a super key card such as a 52 Mantle, I'm not even interested in it.

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the card and the degree of OC. Some 9OC are under valued imo and a good buy. With that said, a 9OC is a 7 for registry purposes only. It could very well grade out as 7 but could also grade out lower. Remm that they take the centering at its worst point and if it does not meet 7 standards they go lower. So in a sense a card could grade 9OC or even as low as 3 from what i understand.

one day 9oc will get its due.

Why do people request grading with qualifiers???

Lets say you have a valuable card. and you request no qulaifiers and it comes back a 6 instead of 8oc. well one can readily see that it is oc and that coupled with the lower grade could lead one to believe that somthing else has caused the card to grade lower.

I do not think people ask for qalifiers per say. they just do not ask for "no qualifiers" and one other tidbit (and I am not positive but i would hope) that when you request NQ that it is only for the qualifier OC, If a card has a stain, or is marked I think they will qualify it anyway.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winpitcher did a great job discussing this issue and I would like to add my belief on the topic:

1. A 9 OC - is a 7 (-2 pt. deduction) is for the Registry ONLY.

2. By PSA standards of grading, if the 9 OC card had 90/10 centering and you asked for NO qualifiers,
    the card may ONLY grade a Vg. One might get a "bump" for esthetic quality which of course is subjective.

<< <i>Vg - Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back. >>

And for those not familiar with the registry rules:

Registry Qualifier Rules (qualifier could be OC, ST, MK e.g.)

9Q = -2
    8Q = -2
    7Q = -2
    6Q = -2
    5Q = -2
    4Q = -2
    3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q = no deduction

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    personally, if the centering is off top to bottom and it's a 9 OC, I'd rather have that than a better centered card with slightly worn corners... a 9 OC is still a much sharper card than a 7.

regards
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS