Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

too many different coins

I hit a yard sale about a month ago and was able to buy a massive amount of coins... however some of the bags contained coins from different countries dating from the early 1800, late 1700's and the 1900's...

Problem is that there are several thousand coins and I don't even recognize 90% of them... What is the best site for pics and descriptions of other countries coins?
This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Comments

• Options
    You might try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info. It's not online because of copyright protection. Used copies can be found on ebay.com, half.com and other sites for sale at reduced prices.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    WOW!! Sounds like you have a lot of fun at hand.....

Like Brad said Krause's World Coin Books are your best bet for Id of what treasures you may have.....

You might try finding a local coin club and take up membership, many of them have libraries for member use.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    What beautiful little purr-monsters you have in your sig line!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    If you have a lot of 1800s stuff you might want to get a used Krause from 1996 or earlier. Before then the book had the 1800s and 1900s all in one. Later editions are separated by century and so you'll have to spend more. It'll have all the identifying info and as long as it's not too old the values will still be fairly close on most things. I myself have a 1993 Krause that works just fine!
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Thank you all....looks like a stop at the book store after work today. Did a count on my half pennies (freakin about as large as a Morgan) and came up with 294 of the buggers....tons of Australia coins....I am gonna be busy for a while....

BTW.... what's up with "Pope" coins? I found about 20 or so of them?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

• Options
    Here are a few that I brought in to look at today.

• Options
    Any thoughts on the ones pictured??? please ignore the liberty coin...got carried away when posting.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coin looks like a Roman coin but I don't know enough about these to give more info. The other ones are fairly common coins. One of the Philippine coins looks in higher grade, the redish coin, but I can't make out the date.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The Chinese cash coins (with the square holes) are commoner than dirt, and worth just about as much.
    Roy

• Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    I would have thought the one with the Swastika would have been obvious. Nazi Germany.

The large bronze 1912 one that says GEORGIVS V on the obverse with the helmeted women on the reverse (called Britannia), that would state ONE PENNY on the reverse except it's worn off, is a British penny.