Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I'm not too happy....but I'm satisfied....

It seems that I have hit the $$ wall as far as advancing my collection, (other than a random and difficult upgrade), yet there are others in the Registry that are just buying and buying and buying...The coins I need to fill slots in ms64 or better are like all six-figures now!

Damn...I have the GRADES, but I feel like I'm watching the train whizz by.

This must be some sort of Registry psychological malady???image

Comments

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>It seems that I have hit the $$ wall as far as advancing my collection, (other than a random and difficult upgrade), yet there are others in the Registry that are just buying and buying and buying...The coins I need to fill slots in ms64 or better are like all six-figures now! >>

You have done far better than I ever would have on such a difficult series as this ... tho' my local coin dealer has got a wild hair and started working on a complete $10 Lib set ... so ... who would be worse off?

<< <i>Damn ... I have the GRADES, but I feel like I'm watching the train whizz by. >>

Musta been the City of New Orleans ... one fast train in its day ... scheduled speed of 120mph just to make all the whistle stops.

<< <i>This must be some sort of Registry psychological malady???image >>

You got that right ... its been a royal pain finding nice raw coins as of late just to upgrade some of my sets with ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Time to sell.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    No. Not time to sell. I'd just start collecting something else...and I wanted to hold these for at least 10 years or until I die, whichever comes first.image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s see 9 TOP POP’s and MS64 as a MIN. Yeah, and they are not the commonest coins around. It just might get a little pricey to upgrade.
    But that is still one of the prettiest sets in the registry. Fantastic pictures and just beautiful coins.
    A jewel of a set that you can be very proud of any day of the week.
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I got over it. Slipped out of the top 5 two years ago and will be out of the top ten in a year. Just to short of bullits to stay in the chase.
  • Options
    Thanks, Lindedad!!

If I only had another million to add......I could do some MAJOR work!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one way to go LOTTO!!!!
    Someone has to win.
    And if I ever do I am going to get some of them things.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. Not time to sell. I'd just start collecting something else...and I wanted to hold these for at least 10 years or until I die, whichever comes first.image >>

I think you would make a great Kennedy collector image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    What's a Kennedy?image

Oh...it's that family of guys that drink, womanize and get away with bad stuff...right?? Been there...done that.image
  • Options
    image:1Balloons
    ; Saintguru,
    You have a set that anyone would be proud of, and it will take more time to improve , just take it slowly, pick the coins that you really want to use as upgrades.
    Congrats on a great set !!
  • Options
    I have not hit the wall, yet. However, I know the wall is coming.

I feel your pain.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    You and number 1 by far have the highest quality--NOT just on the insert--but in the beauty of the coin. So what if you're missing 7 stupid coins. You may not be the richest collector, but you clearly have the best eye for quality. That's what counts!
    morgannut2
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    SG, I told you I would back off either of the Morse 1921s........image . . . just for you.image

Futures, baby!! Rock and roll and rollover and rollover........LIMIT UP!!!!

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    saintguru, you know your coins are top quality.

I don't understand how you could become less satisfied with your own collection because someone else did something with theirs.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what if you're missing 7 stupid coins. You may not be the richest collector, but you clearly have the best eye for quality. That's what counts!

saintguru, you know your coins are top quality.

I agree with these remarks.

It may be time to start another collecting theme. Good Luck.
  • Options
    I thank you all for your comments. Thos e who don't know me should know that I was speaking somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Certainly I am aware that I have held the highest standards when buying my coins, and I am very proud of them. Fact is, I love each and every one of these large breasted women as individual pieces of art.

What I was really expressing is hitting "the wall". It's frustrating, because clearly I have the bug. I could have had a 98% completed set without much trouble if I lowered the bar, but I was mentored over the years by Steve Duckor and David Akers, and there would be NO compromise with the quality of every coin I bought, with a minimum of MS64. Even those had to be strong coins...no sliders!

The Morse sale is coming up. I won't be able to grab any of the real "headliners" but there are some upgrades that I have my eye on, and as long as I can lift my GPA with even rarer examples, that's all I care about.

Oh...LOTTO is NOT out of the question. "The LOTTO winner who spent ALL his winnings on gold coins"!!!image

• Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    SG,

Remember the days when we would buy every scarce date on Ebay or at auction becuase it was scarce? Now you have truly RARE coins that all the "wanabee" collectors only dream about. So what if you don't have a 27-d! When the bag is found, we will all eventually own one.....In any case you can bid on the 27-d in the Morse sale as I have decided to let you own that coin. Of course if I win the LOTTO then its mine!

Those pop top coins are bringing good money these days. The 1922-s went for $82000 plus the juice and the 1922 in MS66 brought $32k!

I have been encouraged to start a Morgan $$$ set but am afraid to do so as there are so many.....big bucks as well.....

I have realized I will NOT be able to buy the coins in the MORSE sale that I wanted to as there will be players there none of us have ever heard of.....without a doubt.....The prices realized should be amazing.....The good side of that is that your "big breasted babes" will be worth that much more.....

My #1 Finest $10 Indian Gold Registry Set
  • Options
    Thank you for dropping out of the Morse sale. that's one less competitor!image

I've saved this post, John. Don't let it haunt you in November.image
  • Options
    SG,

Not dropping out of the MORSE sale, just going in with the realistic view that whatever I think a coin should bring, it will fetch more than that and unless I want to overpay or not care what I pay I probably won't score anything too exciting.....I can hope but I am also going to be realistic.....

My $20 Saint Gaudens Registry Set
  • Options
    Hi Saint Guru. You have a great collection there already. I especially love your 1912, and 1907 hi relief.

But the cost is why I've avoided the series. I love the coins; just don't think I can afford it.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saintguru:

<<<Time for another theme,>>>>>

I agree. Why not buy one of Augustus Saint Gauden's plaster copies.

Tom B. can tell you all about them.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Plaster casts? I though they went out in the 60's?image

JHF...You could do Saints! Who are you kidding!!image

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "But the cost is why I've avoided the series. I love the coins; just don't think I can afford it.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun"

• Options
    "But the cost is why I've avoided the series. I love the coins; just don't think I can afford it."

JHF,

Funny thing is, I KNOW I can't afford it! But I buy them anyway....

My $20 Saint Gaudens Registry Set
  • Options
    jb

>>>>No. Not time to sell. I'd just start collecting something else...and I wanted to hold these for at least 10 years or until I die, whichever comes first.

you could of bought 50,000 mdii last week for 44,000 k and sold this morning at 2.17.....then you could buy a few

if that didnt work for you

TRY COMMEMS....WE`D LOVE TO HAVE YOU IN OUR ARENA.....

1) none the same in a 50 piece set

2) lots of history to get your jollies off

3) great collectors and great comradere

4) very...very low pops...some only 2000 made...( no eurobags comng in ...i collected saints and had a few pop 1 coins ....and i sold all pop 1 coins because of the euro bags...now one coin i sold as a pop 1 is now a pop 196 ..booo for the buyer)

so jb...come join us....you love em

monsterman

ps..love those saints ...but love commems better

my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    Nice try, Greg...but ain't gonna happen.

I like big tittied gold and that's that!image

As for collectinf something else right now I'm collecting bills.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

sTOP WHINING JB ! You should buy every coin that you need except the 27 D if the price is right.Set goals for yourself.
    Don't look for sympathy on the message boards because you will not get it in the auction room.Mortgage your house if you need
    to because opportunity is the key.

Stewart
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Them's smoe nice 1921's coming up in Morse... image
  • Options
    Yeah Stewart. I'll just mortgage the damn house and then try to top Sperburger's overheated bids so I can get a foreclosure!!

Can YOU get me a loan from BlayBanc?

Them's smoe nice 1920-S' too, TDN!!
  • Options
    Sperburger's?

BlayBanc?

Is there a connection here?image

JB: You need to learn to be happy with what you have already accomplished. You are potentially missing out on the enjoyment of the ride!
  • Options
    I AM happy...some of you are misinterpreting this as a whine...I'm showing what I know to be common frustration of "hitting the wall". That's why I said perhaps it was a "malady".

If I didn't buy another Saint for the rest of my life I would be 100% satisfied with what I did. image
  • Options
    now the title should clarify the issue.image
  • Options
    Perhaps you should retitle this thread " I'm happy but not satisfied just yet!

Isn't that a more true description?

You can be happy yet can never be fully satisfied until you accomplished your goal.

Ok, ok now you can call me Dr. Oreville. image