Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Discussion about sf coins and the registry

I added a couple of quarters to my collection, both with the sf designation. Then I noticed that they were coins 215A and 216A. Does this mean that they are allowing both buisiness strikes and mint set strikes in the registry? If one chooses to add both style coins, will both be counted in the weighted gpa or set rating? A curious mind wants to know.

Comments

• That is a question many of us would like answered by PCGS and SOON
  • mademanmademan Posts: 431 ✭✭
    I just asked the same question on the US coin forum- I will hold my breathimage--Don/MM
  • I posed this question HRH a while back, but the powers that be filtered the question out.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that this issue is being avoided, just contemplated. My guess is that they are trying to come up with a workable policy.
    ps. Maybe change the thread title to "Discussion about sf coins and the registry" and let's help them out. Obviously, this is a toughie!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now you can have either a non-sf or a sf coin in a slot. I do not think they will have a set with both (as it makes no sense). It is similar to a Jefferson set where you can fill a slot with either a FS or a non-FS coin.

In most cases, changes are made by asking the actual registry set participants. The problem with the SF coins is they cover so many different series. They would have to make things the same across the board (so they would not make state quarters have slots for SF and non-SF and the dimes make it an either setting).

I suspect that the big issue will be with the weighting to try and make the playing field level.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Good point dd. I know this has to be a tough decision on pcgs' part. I also think that whatever they come up with, not all of us will be happy with the decision. But so be it.

Registry Title changed. I didn't mean to imply that they avoided the issue. I know this is not going to be an easy situation to address. I'm sure there will be a announcement of sorts, when they do have it worked
    out. Until then, I am slowly getting both bs and sf coins. Well maybe I should say buisiness strike instead of bs. image