Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

gfg.com

Anyone know anything about "Dave's Vintage Sports Cards?????

www.gfg.com
ADVICE....Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He's a dealer in West L.A., always been a good guy to deal with. Doesn't really deal in graded cards, so if you're expecting a NrMint raw to get a 7 you may or may not be disappointed, but it should be at least close. He certainly stands behind everything and you won't have any problems.

Edited to say- he does travel a lot, and if he's slow getting back to you it is due to that. He's at the National this week if you happen to be there.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a bunch of 60's inserts of Cardinals that I needed (about $70 worth) a couple of months ago. He shipped the next day. No complaints and would buy from again.

Shane

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    It has been a long time since I've bought anything from David, but when I did, the experience was great. Personable guy, even talked on the phone with him several times.

Geordie
  • Options
    I purchased three cards from David. All three were sent to GAI for grading and two of them were returned ungraded with a GAI label that said "TRIMMED". I called David and he said he will not honor the opinion of any one grading company and a second opinion would be necessary. David said he would give me store credit if either SGC or PSA also deemed the cards to be TRIMMED.

I just let it go because if he is not going to refund my money if two different grading companies determine a card to be TRIMMED, it was more trouble than it was worth.
  • Options
    Thats pretty shady.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    I've bought a number of raw cards from Dave's and had them graded without any problem. His service is excellent and he answers questions quickly. I'll buy from him again.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    His partner Art is the more personable of the two, but Dave's a good guy. A bit pricey, but aren't most net dealers? Never dissatisfied with any purchase.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Bottom line---almost all of the cards graded by PSA have come via David's company or by the guy that was at the National in Anaheim a couple of years back ( couldn't find his business card). Yes, they are overpriced at David's business, but you have to take the overall approach that a majority of the cards have been graded including both of the 68 # 80 Carews which i have owned. If both would have come back as "evid of trim" i would have been less supporting. Look at the condition of the cards he selling too. Some of them have paper loss,stains,corners missing from the cards. It's not like he is trying to hide anything or be deceptive. He gives you clear photo's of the cards that you request. He has had some of these cards for years because of the condition they are in and people chose not to buy them just for that reason.

Recent auction of David's---speaks for itself
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Just a follow up to this message... I have had multiple successful transactions with Dave and I think his prices are quite reasonable given the scarcity of the cards. I had the opportunity to meet Dave, Art & Fred today at the National... they are a good group of guys, Dave was easy to work with, he even spent a considerable amount of time helping me identify a card. I purchased another large group of cards today, as he brought a good portion of his Venezuelan inventory with him (and it is very impressive to say the least), and he had no problem working with me on the price of the cards.

And a note about trimmed cards... most weren't actually trimmed, that's how they were cut to begin with, but it is important to measure them to make sure they are no more than 1/16-3/64" short in either direction or they will be rejected for being too small. 2 of the cards I purchased from Dave today turned out to be too small as I was submitting them, he refunded me the cash on the spot when I went back to him.

Carew29 - I noticed he had at least one 1968 Carew and it looked like it was in pretty nice shape, but I did not examine it.

-Josh
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I chose between the one you saw and the one i have now. I thought mine would 6 last month and it came back a 5. Once i get off my lazy arss and go buy another scanner i will throw a picture of it. I still think it is a 6.