Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Donruss factory set break anyone's thoughts?

Bought a 1985 Donruss factory set today in celephone. I am pretty happy. $40 plus local sales tax. Set overall is centered and sharp. I plan on sending in about 20+ cards heres a couple of scans. Thoughts?

C:WINDOWSDesktop
yan.JPG

Not sure if I posted images correctly. But nice cards IMO.

Damian

Comments

• Options
    Didn't post them correctly. image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    You need to upload the image...the link you posted is to your local hard drive.

The knock I hear on factory sets is the cellophane being wrapped so tight lends itself to dinged corners and edges, which would be especially evident on the black borders.

Good luck, though.
  • Options
    Stupid common question, but how do you post pictures?
  • Options
    How do I upload the image? I am running ancient win 98.image
  • Options
    Maybe this is how? Here's the Clemens?

image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    Damn, I am a dumb ass. I just think this was really a nice break and want to share as I enjoy when others do. If I can't noodle this through can I e-mail someone and they can post? Here goes again.

[URL=http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clemens1ed.jpg]image[/URL]
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Under the box where you type, there's a box labelled 'attach file(s)'

A window will open up, click the 'browse' tab, locate the file on your computer, hit 'open', the click the 'attach file' button at the bottom of the new window that had opened. The file size needs to be under 50kb, though.
  • Options
    Got it finally. Thanks Axtell. File is too large will take new scans and post.
  • Options
    Here's one, I think.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a really nice Ryan student!

good luck if you decide to have it graded!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Couple of more. Thanks for your patience from a newbie.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's patiences and help. Now finally, after all that BS, what do you think? Nice, eh? I can post more scans of others if you like and will let you know what they grade when back. Going in tomorrow on 45 day. Hoping for recent fast turnaround. Not bad for 40 bucks.

Damian
  • Options
    Those are really nice especially the rose. I'm a huge 81-87 Donruss fan and these are some of the nicest I have seen pulled.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damian
    I think ya did really good! The scans are not sharp enough to say for sure but these looks great! If there are no wrinkles or defects on the back - you may some 9s there!

Again
    good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news and bad news. I broke one open last year and the Puckett got a PSA 10! The bad news - the Clemens got a PSA 7. And get this, if you shine it in the correct light, you can see - not one - but TWO surface wrinkles!! I did not see them before I sent them in, so I am thinking the card got bent while in PSA's possession.

Shane

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    When I opened my factory set, I found aound 15 cards that had serious wrinkles. I don't remember exactly which ones, but it included some stars, which was a bummer.
    Also, I'm curious if you checked the size of the cards from your factory set against cards issued from packs. If I remember correctly, the factory set cards were a little shorter.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Those are good looking cards! I recently cracked an 85 donruss case and am also planning on sending in 20-30 when a special includes them. I would like to know if the factory sealed are shorter so if you have any 85d from packs it would be awesome if you could say if they measure up.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I think as a rule Donruss factory cards are a bit smaller. I meaured and they are short. I think it has something to do with getting the cards in the cellophane. Question is will they still grade?
  • Options
    The factory set cards are indeed shorted than the regular pack issued cards. I bought a few lots of star cards including a lot of 15 Steve Carlton cards. They all measured EXACTLY the same. When I compared them to a Carlton that I had pulled from a pack they were shorter by at least 1/16 inch. Not only were they shorter, but they were perfectly centered. The centering on the wax cards is all over the place and rarely perfect.

Does anyone know if they factory cards were cut differently than the regular cards, since most of them are near perfectly centered. And how can any grading company tell the difference?

Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I'm surprised. They are very nice cards. Guess the factory set in Donruss is good quality.

I have had good and bad luck with the cello wrapped sets. Bought a bunch of Donruss Rookie sets once, the one with the McGwire on top. Mst of those were not 10 worthy and a 9 just doesn't matter much in that set. Many of the others were OK, I think the Maddux and Palmeiro are two others.

Perhaps I'll look at the 85D.