Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Demand must have been pent up for this '75 wax tray.

This is the highest I've seen a '75 go for yet.

1975 Topps baseball wax tray.

Comments

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Yikes.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    I think the three shill bids which bumped it up from 408.00 to 754.00 had a bit to due with it....
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed those bids too. But the winner obviously was willing to fork over what he did.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I just do not get it, if you figure the price of three unopened 75 packs, I just don't see this as a viable investment. Someone must have some extra money to burn.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

I like the tray! Topps has been doing trays since the 50s and they can be very scarce for some years.

The 1975 tray - according to the BBCKid Unopened Guide (2nd ed.) is 400$.

Looks like the winner set a snipe? If so, then this was not a bidding war for this winner and it was a deliberate bid. So, I'm guessing the guy knew what he wanted?

Still, that's a lot of money. Now by the time you get to 1979 - they must have made a bundle!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    That's pretty high. I saw multiple 1975 wax boxes today ranging from $1450 to $1850.

Where is the bang for the buck?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty high. I saw multiple 1975 wax boxes today ranging from $1450 to $1850.

Where is the bang for the buck?

Julen >>

Julen
    I posted the same time you did - in this case you are buying the tray rather than the packs.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>in this case you are buying the tray rather than the packs >>

Exactly.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Is there a demand for a tray?

Is the rarity of the wax tray the thing?

That being said, then opening this tray would be out of the question?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    The tray is tough but not THAT tough, winner will have to sit on that for quite some time to come out ahead, I have never seen a tray go that high.
  • Options

<< <i>That being said, then opening this tray would be out of the question? >>

Exactly Julen.

Some packs, racks, trays etc. should, IMO, be viewed as "museum" pieces - to be displayed and enjoyed unopened. Sorta like the special hanky my mom would put in my sport jacket pocket at Easter and tell me:
    "mike, this is for showin' not blowin'!

Two points on scarce/rare packs:

1. Once opened - they are gone forever. Mystery gone forever.

2. Unopened - they have all the excitement and allure of a virgin bride on her honeymoon. But once tapped....well you get the point.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Personally, I just don't get it. I'd rather have the cards for some reason. Plus, I'd rather have the fun of opening the packs. To each his own.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I just don't get it. I'd rather have the cards for some reason. Plus, I'd rather have the fun of opening the packs. To each his own. >>

Mac
    I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm not a big pack collector but....

This pack is 51 yrs old - it's kind of like a little piece of "package" art - once opened - just not the same if you know what I mean.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, packs can look pretty cool for display, I guess I just don't see the need to have three packs on a piece of card board wrapped in cellophane for that kind of money, when I could have three separated packs for a lot less, rare or not on the tray, IMO.

Stingray
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally like unopened packs. I have never spent a great deal of money on one though. I had a notion a couple of years ago to go back to my birth year (1975) and get a Topps pack from each year. I now have one Topps pack from every year through this year (every series) sealed in a "team bag". I paid $50 for a GAI 7 1975 pack. What are they going for now? About the same? This was a couple of years ago.

Shane

• Options
    I would say this is probably as rare as a 75 mini rack pack. The mini cellos are seen quite a bit . The mini racks and regular size tray packs are pretty rare. I have seen probably two or three wax trays in about 10 years. I have seen maybe two on ebay. That is a lot of money. I would have gone around $500. The allure of the trays are there is no way to search them. There is no question three packs are unopened. Single packs who knows if they have been combined from searched boxes, opened, resealed etc. Personally I like the display factor of a nice rack pack with a star showing. This wax tray should never be opened.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Wow..this is why buyers should not bid until the last seconds of an auction.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like a snipe was set up to me. image

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Was doing a little research today and came upon this thread - Fun conversation about collecting unopened. Wonder what a 75 wax tray would bring today? Likely a little more than the $750 paid in 2005 I would imagine :)

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 76 tray just sold for $712 tonight on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    75 trays are my favorite from the 70s..

Boom - mic drop!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 11:10PM

@grote15 said:
    75 trays are my favorite from the 70s..

That is one awesome tray Tim! Looks like it's brand new!

If the 75 is your favorite tray from the 70's, which is your favorite from the 60's?

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

That 75 tray is stunning. The colors blend together beautifully. Have never pursued trays south of 79 because of the premium. But I can definitely see why they are coveted.

Tim,
    How far back does your run go?

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took until I saw the photobucket crapout to realize this was a 2005 thread. I was wondering "where's Tim" all along ;)

Daniel
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

$14760 for this one that sold a few days ago

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=283286

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:

Yep, it went insane. I dropped out of the bidding at around $8k. This is probably the only one we'll see as it came from an ex-employee's archive collection. The only way to get a '61 tray is to hope this one gets resold someday.

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 11:37AM

@coinspacks said:

Wow, that '61 tray is unbelievably awesome. Never seen one before. I have to wonder how Steve can feel comfortable authenticating a rarity like this. I suppose he has to rely a lot on provenance.

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Probably one of a kind. Also a 1963 rack pack. Unique.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    A 76 tray just sold for $712 tonight on ebay.

I can take credit for this one. First pre 77 I had seen in a while, and with the eBay bucks rolling in to make the price a little more palatable, decided to take the plunge into the world of tray packs - now I just need to find myself one of those gorgeous 75's! :)

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018 4:33AM

@gemint said:

@coinspacks said:

Yep, it went insane. I dropped out of the bidding at around $8k. This is probably the only one we'll see as it came from an ex-employee's archive collection. The only way to get a '61 tray is to hope this one gets resold someday.

congrats on that beautiful '63 rack John. Also a very rare 1 of a kind item. I dropped out at $8K....so either I bumped you or you me on the '61 tray. And we weren't even close!!

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

There was a '75 tray on e-bay; now it's completely dissappeared. Can't even find it in complete or sold auctions. Weird.

IIRC they were asking $1,600. Anyone find that link?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:
    There was a '75 tray on e-bay; now it's completely dissappeared. Can't even find it in complete or sold auctions. Weird.

The cardboard backing on that tray was from 1977-1980, not from 1975.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2018 10:02PM

Duplicate post

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Sdub said:

Thanks Tim. I recall it was in a GAI plastic slab? What does that mean for GAI encased trays/packs?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2018 10:26PM

@Sdub said:

@grote15 said:

@Sdub said:

Thanks Tim. I recall it was in a GAI plastic slab? What does that mean for GAI encased trays/packs?

Most are perfectly fine but there are mistakes out there, too. As I recall, they also mislabeled a few 76 trays as 74 trays because Topps reused 74 wrappers in 76. You can tell the difference by the tray (which was redesigned in 1975) and also by the pack price (15c vs 10c for 74 trays).

As with all graded items, the pack or tray should be evaluated based on its own merits and attributes.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flatfoot816 said:

@gemint said:

@coinspacks said:

congrats on that beautiful '63 rack John. Also a very rare 1 of a kind item. I dropped out at $8K....so either I bumped you or you me on the '61 tray. And we weren't even close!!

Thanks Manny. Sorry to top you on that one.