Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thursday at Nationals- my experience

Very well run gig, especially for so many vendors that were there.

Highlights:
1-Don't like hockey, but a couple of pretty cool booths, this Steve Yzerman booth w/ nothing but his jersey's and stuff was very neat.
2-MacFarlane booth was very cool and most of the stuff was not super $$$$$.
3-Upper Deck and Topps booths were big and showy, but I didn't really see a whole lot there.
4-BBCExchange booth rocked, Steve said he sold a case of 1978 Topps yesterday and same guy was coming back this afternoon to look at 1977 case he has.
5-Got interviewed by some guy from Money magazine, if I get quoted, I will share it w/ you guys. He related a very sad story from last night where some kid had a Mickey Mantle autographed ball and the authenticator told him it was a fake. The kid was pretty distraught after hearing the news. Bummer.
6-I spoke w/ several old-timer collectors (guys in their 60's and 70's) who couldn't understand the desire for graded cards. I empathized w/ them, but tried to tell them how grading has helped the entire collecting arena, not hurt it. They kindly, or unkindly disagreed w/ me... heheh
7-PSA booth was slamming w/ people getting grades, the PSA workers were primarily females, probably in their 20's and early 30's
8-Wax From Past booth was pretty cool. I noticed his inventory is much deeper than what his website reflects. He told me to relate to you guys calling him and he will work w/ you on pricing. He was obliging to me on my stuff.
9-Didn't see BBCKid there.
10-Beckett booth was doing some insane raffle every hour or something, I kept hearing this same guy's voice while I walked around.

Lowlights:
1-NUMEROUS vendors selling non-psa graded cards and trying to sell them by putting sales stickers on them saying ("PSA 9 SMR = $400", our price $100). I hope not many people get taken to the cleaners on these deals, gives hobby bad reputation and drives people interested in cards AWAY from collecting.

This is what I bought:
1952 Topps Reprint set $180 from Steve Hart
3 1978 Topps wax packs $17/pack
2 1978 Topps cello packs $25/pack
1 1985 Topps grocery pack (3 packs inside) $20 from Wax from the Past
2 1984 Donruss wax packs $5/pack
3 1985 Fleer Cello packs $10/pack

I was able to spend less than my $500 estimation, but given more time, I would've gone crazy at the unopened cardboard booths. There were a couple of 1969 topps 3rd series packs I almost pulled trigger on but just couldn't justify steep prices.

Julen
RIP GURU

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Nice review!

how many vendors do you think were there?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    1-NUMEROUS vendors selling non-psa graded cards and trying to sell them by putting sales stickers on them saying ("PSA 9 SMR = $400", our price $100). I hope not many people get taken to the cleaners on these deals, gives hobby bad reputation and drives people interested in cards AWAY from collecting.

You should haved used these losers in your argument to the old fogeys.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Nice pick-ups. See any '67 wax? image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Prolly around 400 vendors in all.

There were like 6 or so booths that had vintage wax packs and such. One vendor said that they people who had purchased his vintage wax packs were meeting together later to open their packs at once. I guess that could be a really good thing or a really bad thing?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>probably in their 20's and early 30's >>

Were they hot?
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    1-NUMEROUS vendors selling non-psa graded cards and trying to sell them by putting sales stickers on them saying ("PSA 9 SMR = $400", our price $100).

Were these cards slabbed by gem elite/pro type grading companies or were they raw?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Were they hot? >>

That was exactly what I tought when I read that.image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

This is killing me! My office is litterally 1 block away from the center and I don't think I co get there by 6! I want to bust some packs!!!!

Those 78 racks sound like they have my name written all over them!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    NOpe, the cards were graded all right, but just by grading companies that I'd never heard of before.

No comment on female workers. There were a couple of booths manned by women in mini-skirts and such, a very effective selling tool I must say.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>7-PSA booth was slamming w/ people getting grades, the PSA workers were primarily females, probably in their 20's and early 30's >>

hope these same workers come to the SF Tristar show this September...
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>manned by women >>

Sounds a little kinky. Maybe I shouda gone.image
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Julen

Sounds like you had a really good time.

I like someone who will take the time to talk to collectors - one can learn a lot that way.

I wanna say that SCD said there were 800 tables this year?

I went to a National where there was 900 tables! Try covering all those in one day! I was exhausted.

thanx again for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1-Don't like hockey, but a couple of pretty cool booths, this Steve Yzerman booth w/ nothing but his jersey's and stuff was very neat >>

Did your eyes happen to fall on any graded vintage hockey or anything like that?
  • Options
    There was a booth w/ vintage hockey and hockey ONLY cards.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I'm glad some people are having a great time at these Nationals.

Most of the stuff I've read in these threads so far, re-affirms why I have stayed away from them since 1995. Back then it was so disorganized, leaving no time to shop. Nowadays it sounds like they've smoothed the wrinkles out, but it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of decent ungraded cards anymore, bummer. Too much BIG business. I'll stick to the small shows, where it's still possible to find a one time seller offering up his childhood card collection.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad some people are having a great time at these Nationals.

Most of the stuff I've read in these threads so far, re-affirms why I have stayed away from them since 1995. Back then it was so disorganized, leaving no time to shop. Nowadays it sounds like they've smoothed the wrinkles out, but it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of decent ungraded cards anymore, bummer. Too much BIG business. I'll stick to the small shows, where it's still possible to find a one time seller offering up his childhood card collection. >>

Bow

I hear ya...but here's a quote from a friend about his experience this year...so far...that sums up why I like to go to big shows:

<< <i>If you're coming to the National to buy cards, you're better off spending your time on ebay. Raw costs what graded does, and I can find more I need in a given week that at this show. But if you're coming to have a good time with a bunch of friends it's pretty hard to beat. >>

One thing for sure - ebay has made hobby life easy in many ways - but meeting new people and sitting down to drink a beer or go to a ball game is - well - priceless!

There are about 12 people that I hope to meet up with next year in CA. I had to abort this year unfortunately.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are about 12 people that I hope to meet up with next year in CA. I had to abort this year unfortunately.

mike >>

Mike - maybe you can make it 13. I can't hit the Nats unless they come west. I went to the last Anaheim show and had a blast! I'm about a 5-hour drive from there - I will definitely be there next year.

Geordie
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    On the booth babe tip I find it quite strange. I was waiting in line at will call on Wednesday afternoon and this hot blonde stated she was working a booth. She stated she didnt know anything about cards and was just going to be handing out flyers. My hats off to the following booths for providing the booth babes.

MVP Sports Book.com
    Beckett
    Dart Flipcards World
    Chicago Bulls
    And last but not least the guy who had the booth next to the a Playboy playmate in 1998. If you were there you know what I am taling about.

One great booth I did find for ungraded cards was The Battersbox. They had great 50's and 60' and 70's cards at very reasonable prices. They don't have a URL but they have a quarterly mailer they send out.
  • Options

<< <i>One thing for sure - ebay has made hobby life easy in many ways - but meeting new people and sitting down to drink a beer or go to a ball game is - well - priceless!

There are about 12 people that I hope to meet up with next year in CA. I had to abort this year unfortunately.

mike >>

Well, maybe I'll try another National sometime in the future (anyone know when/if it will be in St Louis or K.C.?). I guess my 1995 (I think it was '95) National experience just left me raw. I think I paid like $10 for parking, then waited in a line for like 1.5 hours, only to be told that it was the line to get in AND NOT TO GET TICKETS! So, back to the end of the ticket line. I saw more bargains being struck in line than in the show, especially on those stoopid promos they use to give away. Well, I finally got in and decided to hit the autograph section first and get it out of the way.........until I saw the line WHICH WAS JUST TO GET AUTO. TICKETS! I was told it would be another 1.5 hr wait. I said "scr@w it! and headed for the floor. I barely had enough time to walk (very fast!) up and down each aisle. I left empty-handed, not because I didn't have money, but because I had no time to spend it. I vowed never to go back again, and stick to the small, more casual shows.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    I heard the etopps booth was very very nice and busy most of the time. Any verification of this from a non-etopps member? I know most of the people on the boards aren't a huge fan of the program so just know that I'm not trying to spam or anything. I just wanted to hear anything from someone who wasn't going to talk up the booth too much.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Etopps had a great both. I really was impressed. Each VIP ticket holder recieved one free Etopps card and free encasement. I recieved a Kevin Brown. I was never really exposed to the product before the National but it seems interesting and they had one of the largest booths at the show. There were selling etopps hot boxes, $60 for vips and $80 for regular price. Each box contained at least one 1/1 card. Not that I was looking for them but football boxes sold out Wednesday night and they still didnt have anymore on Thursday. Here a few pics from Wednesday night.

• Options
    Fur
    Great pics!

Thanx for taking the time to post them.

Anybody see any good memorabilia for sale? GU stuff - bats, jerseys. Older stuff like advertising pieces, banners, penants etc.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    samsgirl214samsgirl214 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭
    I thought the show was great. Anything your looking for, they had it. Didn't spend time getting all the free autos that came with the vip tickets. Did get a couple wed night at the vip party. wasn't looking for vintage, i have ton of it here I'm trying to get rid of. mainly looking for brett favre and joe montana cards/items. found plenty at pretty good prices. i was never into the etopps thing but had to stop by and get free card encased and spotted some nice favre's and montana's so of course i picked them up.

gayle sayers was very nice, allowed us to take some pics with him and got two auto helmets. Also got dolly konwimsky's auto ball and pics with her (grand rapids chicks 1943-1954) HOF 1988

got to meet alot of very nice people from all over. met a few movie stars at motel (crown plaza) they also let us take pics.