Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting analysis 1955 Topps set partially graded on ebay not spam, not mine!

Ok This set features some graded cards by every grading source, seems liek mostly the stars have been graded. Looks like he average condition of the satrs is PSa 6 and the commons are more than likely 6's and 7's. The SMR has the set in PSa 6 at 8800. From your own perspective, is this a smart buy, good deal, or what have you. Please discuss!

I think is is a typical ex-mt+ set. I am not sure why the stars are graded by diffrent companies. To buy this lot for more than 6k, crack the slabbs and send them all into PSA seems like a bit much for the going price. I doubt there are any 8,9. or 10 cards in this group. Also, the seller states there is a Mays Psa 8 which is really a 8 o/c. Funny but that is also pretty much a 6 NQ. actually a very nice, presentable set!

Comments

• Options
    I think anytime you buy raw (which this set has) you are risking alot, especially with some of the star cards not graded, what if they are trimmed? Then you are way out.
    I would look at the smr for the graded cards, come up with a value, and maybe add a little more for the raw. That would be my top bid. This way if the raw are trimmed, you dont really lose out.
    This set screams of a problem waiting to happen.
    As much as we may all want to find that diamond in the rough, more often than not, its not. If I cant personally inspect each card, hold it in my hand, loop the cards, I will only buy this set based on the grading value of the cards.

6,000.00 is way off base with what I see.

However, I do want to point out your SMR quote, is not a real true value of a psa 6 set, and the 15K for a psa 7 set is just not even close, heres why:
    psa 7's in the 55 set have MANY very tough and low pop cards that sell for $100.00 to $300.00+ whereas smr lists them as 32.00, 38.00 or 60.00..

I realize that every set has those few cards, but this set seems to have many, some examples of cards you cant touch at smr include:

Fowler, Hal Smith, Bob Keegan, Billy Herman, Vic Power, Joe Collins, Triandos, Agganis, Delsing, Tony Jacobs, Sherm Lollar, Frank Smith, Freese, Consolo, Moore and I am sure I am leaving some of them out.

almost 20% of the set sells well in excess of 100% of smr in a psa 7.

so, while 8800, or 15K is smr in a 7 set, there is no way to put that set together thru purchases on ebay or dealers, for an all psa 7 1955 topps set for 15K.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    I think its a good buy and definately a nice presentable set. I think that most collectors have more fun in piecing together thier own set card by card than laying out a bunch of C notes for a completed set. Funny thing is, you can purchase the complete collection with most of the star cards graded PSA 6 for about HALF the price of the Ted Williams graded PSA 9 from the same set.........
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice set. Since I completed my set a couple of years ago I have not stayed in touch with the market. I did basically the same thing though I had the HOF's and some harder cards graded by PSA and kept the others RAW. My set though not as nice as this one cost me around 5k to put together. I do of course have a koufax in 8.

a set in ex condition is a very attainable goal. once you start getting up into the psa 7's and 8's it gets extremely tuff.

The 55 set is a very popular set as the set registry will attest

pictured above is my Berra.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

i agree with you Ted regarding the Mays in 8. I wish guys would say its OC when it is OC. that card like mine above is still a decent card. id rather have the 8OC grade then a 6 grade though. at least with the 8OC you know that the card has the attributes of an 8 (escept for the centering) when the same card is graded a straight 6, one see's the centering anyway and then could be led to believe that it does not have the 8 attributes.

SD
    Good for you.