Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eSCD article on counterfeit cards

This from eSCD.
What a surprise! image

SCD INVESTIGATION UNCOVERS COUNTERFEIT CARDS

A counterfeit card problem centering on 1980s Star Co. basketball, Kenner Starting Lineups, Sportscasters and minor league baseball has been the subject of an investigation by card dealer Steve Taft and Sports Collectors Digest.

Most of the counterfeits SCD or Taft have purchased have been graded by Gem or its “premier” Gem Elite service. Taft first noticed the problem on eBay about a year ago. Taft began making sample buys, and they proved the counterfeit status.

Gem Grading is owned and operated by Timothy Lorber, who also runs www.startcollecting.com. Lorber told SCD he was disappointed Gem Grading holders contained counterfeits and that he does not run the company with any intent but to maintain high-quality standards. “When we sell cards, we give a 100-percent, money-back, 30-day guarantee, from any of the sales that we do,” Lorber said, including www.startcollecting.com or his sportscardzz eBay ID.

SCD asked Lorber if the counterfeits seemed to originate from one person or place. He said there were submissions, and his suspicion is that these came from Gibraltar (Mich.). He clarified that he meant the area, not specifically the show. “I do not know for sure,” he added. “We do not want counterfeits in Gem holders,” Lorber said. “I would buy those back. It’s not Gem’s policy to do that; we have turned away people who have offered us money to put cards in the holders that were not real.”

SCD has purchased about 20 cards in Gem grading holders, and only four or five were counterfeits.

There have been sellers of Gem-graded cards on Yahoo!’s auction site as well, and those sellers offer a connection to the October, 2003, investigation by SCD. In that investigation, SCD discovered that counterfeits of 1963 Bazooka cards, 1921 W551 strip cards, 1931 W517 strip cards, 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread and 1952 Wheaties were being sold online by, among others, “Randy Howard” in Halifax, Pa. In this newer case, the Yahoo! Auctions seller IDs of “isellforu52296” and “consignmentsplus1” are both backed by the name “Randy Howard,” this time from Mechanicsburg, Pa. Both of those Yahoo! IDs have been inactive for the past several months, but when they were active earlier this year, those IDs offered not only the counterfeits described in this article, but also the Bond Bread and other similar cards that were targeted in that SCD investigation three years ago. Capitol Grading and FGA (Foremost Grading Authority) holders often contain fakes, too.

Taft said he believes these cards could be part of the largest counterfeit card operation ever. “A year ago, when it was rampant, there were multiple auctions going with counterfeit cards from multiple eBay sellers,” he said. “You could be talking maybe over $1 million in sales. That’s money that probably would have been spent with honest dealers.

“One of the cards that I saw fairly early in this was the 1989 Pittsburgh Greats Dan Marino. That’s about an $8 card. When you look at the fact that these guys have taken a card that will sell for $8-$10 and counterfeited it, that in itself is a huge message.”

Comments

• Options

SCD has purchased about 20 cards in Gem grading holders, and only four or five were counterfeits.

They forgot to add that the remaining cards had been trimmed of recolored................

• Options
    “One of the cards that I saw fairly early in this was the 1989 Pittsburgh Greats Dan Marino. That’s about an $8 card. When you look at the fact that these guys have taken a card that will sell for $8-$10 and counterfeited it, that in itself is a huge message.”
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is EXACTLY what I have been trying to explain to the folks who think that only "expensive" cards are vulnerable.

This same thing is rampant in stamps. Stamps that retail for less than $10.00 are NOW being printed - NOT
    xeroxed - and they cannot be detected by even moderate-skill level collectors. That is why expertization is critical.

The moral of all the scam stories is: Do not buy anything that has not been certified by the foremost experts.

Cher
  • Options

<< <i> “We do not want counterfeits in Gem holders,” Lorber said. “I would buy those back. It’s not Gem’s policy to do that; we have turned away people who have offered us money to put cards in the holders that were not real.” >>

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    “We do not want counterfeits in Gem holders,” Lorber said. “I would buy those back. It’s not Gem’s policy to do that; we have turned away people who have offered us money to put cards in the holders that were not real.”

It lies to us, nasty fake slabber company, it lies. Tricksy! False!
  • Options
    I have a semi-expensive card in a GEM 10 holder.
    I want to send it to PSA, but I do not want to crack
    the thing out myself, because I want to complain to
    the seller when/if it comes back bad. (If I crack it
    myself, that seller will say that I switcheroood.)

So: If I send it to PSA in the case, am I guaranteed
    a negative response just because it is in the junk
    holder, or will they give it an unbiased look?

I have no monetary recourse against the seller anyway,
    so maybe I should carck it myself. What should I do?

Cher
  • Options

<< <i>I have a semi-expensive card in a GEM 10 holder.
    I want to send it to PSA, but I do not want to crack
    the thing out myself, because I want to complain to
    the seller when/if it comes back bad. (If I crack it
    myself, that seller will say that I switcheroood.)

So: If I send it to PSA in the case, am I guaranteed
    a negative response just because it is in the junk
    holder, or will they give it an unbiased look?

I have no monetary recourse against the seller anyway,
    so maybe I should carck it myself. What should I do?

Cher >>

Its a lose lose situation so learn a valuable lesson. Thats about it........
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lorber told SCD he was disappointed Gem Grading holders contained counterfeits and that he does not run the company with any intent but to maintain high-quality standards. >>

The day SCD does a truly "journalistic" piece of investigative reporting - I will be checking to see if the world is coming to an end!

Gem is pure crap! Personally I believe they holder their own stuff to "distribute" rather than grade submissions only.

Just check out their web - the Contact Us page:
    the don't have a PHONE NUMBER! and they use a PO Box number!

I'm not saying these guys are crooks but quack, quack....

Mike