Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

National Report

Well I scoured the floor, found some interesting items, 1971 Football Vending boxes as well as 1973 ones too. An artist who does the greatest paintings in the most vivid colors of todays stars and events. They were facinating. Lots of EX_MT commons and overpriced graded as I expected. I figure I'll be done tomorrow. Might be my last National for a few years. Oh did get to meet Virgil the WWF wrestler and the great comedianne Ruth Buzzi. Ruth was great. I'm not being sarcastic. OH YES I almost forgot. I did get to hail the KING. KING KELLOGG that is.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the report!!!

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

What were they asking for the 71 box?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    So, a bit overpriced and overrated?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I remember the Anaheim show a few years back, i ended up making better deals by people walking around with stuff than i did at the tables. And imagine, not a one had a ego problem!!
  • Options
    Gaspipe,

I didn't get to go this year but I would realy appreciate it if you could get a card from the people who have the 71 & 73 vending boxes. A phone number would be great. I would owe you big time. Please pm me. Thanks.
    Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.
  • Options
    Bob,

What was the name of the painter? Does he/she have a web site? I remember seeing an artist a couple years ago at the Atlantic City National but don't remember the name of the company or painter. Thanks.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    As an aside, does anyone know where the National will be in 2006?

Mark
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Anaheim Convention Center
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Here is a schedule of the next four Nationals:

2006 - Anaheim Convention Center
    2007 - Cleveland OH - I-X Center
    2008 - Anaheim CA - Anaheim Convention Center
    2009 - Chicago IL - Donald E Stephens Convention Center
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Why do they avoid the east coast and NY?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>Why do they avoid the east coast and NY? >>

Smallstocks, they had it in Atlantic City two years ago. It wasn't exactly a huge success. I can't for the life of me understand why they won't attempt a show in New York.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Was it 2 years ago in A.C or 1 year ago ?
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Anaheim in 2006! Wooo hooo! Can't wait to go. It's been ages since I've been to a "real" show (sorry NAXCOM/Hollywood Park).

• Options

<< <i>Was it 2 years ago in A.C or 1 year ago ? >>

Definitely two years ago.
  • Options
    Because MR. MINT would want to host it!!! image

Stan/bosko56
  • Options
    If you're a collector rather than a dealer, I think it usually doesn't pay to fly long distance and incur hotel charges to attend the National Convention unless you're mainly going for the social aspects. To me the money would have been better spent on cards in Ebay and other various auctions going on right now (Memory Lane, Superior, Mastronet, Lelands, Goodwin, etc) When the National is within a reasonable driving distance for a day trip (or two), then I attend.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Well day 2 is over, and it was about the same as Day 1. I made my large submission to PSA, and a 15 card next day one. I might try to catch a flight out tomorrow night if I can. No need to stay after the luncheon tomorrow.
    The 1971 Football vending is very expensive, I expect maybe 25-30% too high. The 1973 is possibly reasonable. I may try to negotiate 1 or 2 of those.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the national..Wed thru Friday. The volume is simply overwhelming. AFter 1 1/2 days I've almost seen every table (not stopped at, but at least 'seen'). Picked up about 75 gradeable cards ..and plugged some holes in some '60s and early 70s sets--usually at about 60-125% of book (for the best of the best) for about 10 hours of searching. Prices are a bit high, but it's nice to be able to see the cards you're buying (at least at tables where light is good). My impression is dealers are not doing that well. But most of them don't admit it. I think they make their money buying/selling with other dealers and the occasional deep pockets collector.

Brought $1800..spent about $1600 so far and will be looking for an ATM in the morning!

Met King Kellogg..although it didn't hit me until after we left the table where he introduced himself. I don't really 'know' any of you but I've bought from him before & of course see his messages here.

Crowd has been pretty good and would expect it to be bigger now that the weekend is here.
  • Options
    I went yesterday and only had 5 hours to get around. It is a social event, I talked to Gale Sayers for 10 minutes which was very nice. I am leading the master set of his. Cards are higher priced than on ebay, but if you have it, you can ask whatever you want, doesn't mean someone will pay that. I did meet one of the leading 1977 mexican football dealers so I can complete somemore registry master sets. I had a good time, except for the construction on I80 and three traffic jams on the way home. It is nice having teh quarterly shows in Chicago, but I definately made some connections with people that can help me complete some of the sets I am working on.
  • Options
    Hey Bill. You must have met Mike at Touchdown Treasures on the 1977 Topps Football Mexican.
    What did you get from him? Did you get some #360 Paytons from him? What other Mexicans did he have
    around on display? If it was not him who was it? I wish I could have seen his display. Did you take
    any pics?
    Always looking for 1977 topps Mexican Football. Packs and boxes. Need cards #21 and #404 bad $.
  • Options
    Sorry man, no pics, but he is the man when it comes to Mexican. He also has a lot of the other non-topps stuff I am always looking for, hope to start an account with him soon. I bought a Casper, Griese, Csonka, Simpson and a Carmichael from him to finish or improve my player sets. He had some really nice stuff. He want $$500 or $600 for the SGC paytons. They were very nice. I already have a nice centered Payton with the dreaded roller marks. that will get me a 5 for sure. I went over a bunch of stuff i've learned from PSA grading, so hopefully we helped each other out. I need to get with him on the really hard ones, but at $9 for a well printed and $200 for a short-printed common. I may need to refinance the house to complete the set.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I went today for a few hours and picked up only a few packs. I saw the 1971 fb vending and the guy wanted $4k for it. No thank you. Just an FYI if anyone else was intrigued when gaspipe said he saw one there that was "expensive". I think $4k is outrageous. You could probably get 300 cards by buying 71 racks when you see them(and there were a few there that I saw) for less than $4k and have 300 better conditioned cards than the 500 the vending box would give you.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions