Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees get another over the hill pitcher off waivers from the Devil Rays

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
Welcome aboard Nomo.

He was 5-8 with a 7.24 ERA for the Devil Rays. That is actually an improvement to the current Yankee rotation.

Pavano and Wright have been expensive and are broken. Brown just cant loosen up. Wang needs rest and rehab...

Johnson and Mussina are work horse pitchers. Al Leiter is a good guy. 2 more spots open to experimentation.

Bring back Jim Abbott. David Cone would come back, but he has arthritis (it would not work). Gooden should have not retired--he had juice in the tank.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Geist one possible positive out of all this is that this guy (Nomo) has been washed up before and has bounced back. Will he do so again? probably not, but the Yanks need guys to chew up some innings. Why not him?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    That is the whole point. Its about chewing up innings.... Brown had a history of doing that, but his back will not let him anymore. Why not try Nomo. EXACTLY.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    I thought Nomo retired three years ago
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Hideo Nomo now?

imageimageimageimageimage

If the Yank staff hasn't hit rock bottom yet, they have now.
  • Options
    he sucks yet his auto'd cards bring upwards of $500 on ebay image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol Brian i remm that!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Hah just read this on the MLB site:

"Al Leiter battled valiantly, allowing one run over five innings of work."

Are they that desperate to put a positive spin on all things Yankee? He allowed 7 hits and FIVE walks in those five innings...how he escaped with just one run is beyond me.

After a strong first showing, it's appeared he's back to his Florida ways.

• Options
    Oh come on Axtell, give old Al some credit for pitching on guts. The guy is a finesse pitcher so he lives dangerously anyway. He knows how to get out of jams and has good knowledge of the game, otherwise, he could not just give up one run when he gave up so many walks and hits. Nice job Al, but the Yankee bull pen was pitiful.

If Leiter can pitch 5 innings and give up one or two runs, then the Yankees will be in good shape.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Funny, isn't it?

<< <i> Leiter labored through five innings, allowing the leadoff batter to reach base four times and throwing 115 pitches -- just 62 for strikes. >>

That's from another game recap - and more of a realistic description of 'ol 5 inning Al's performance.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>he sucks yet his auto'd cards bring upwards of $500 on ebay image >>

Got that right. I sold one for over two bills in June to a guy in Japan.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim Bouton and Fritz Peterson are tan, rested, and ready.
    Guess Boomer Wells is laughing in his beer right now, but you know he'd do anything to be a Yankee again.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

They can nickname him Hideous Nomo, Who knows maybe the Yankee pinstripes will make him Superman. LOL