Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Deals at the National?

This is my first National and I have heard people saying, don't expect the E-bay type pricing on cards. That I can live with, but are the dealers there at least willing to deal on pricing. What should a newbie like me expect?

Thanks,

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    The show doesn't start until 4:00pm but I expect high asking prices. Whether they will deal all depends on the dealer. There is a football field full of dealer tables and exhibits. Given those odds, I am sure I can find some decent buys.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    The autograph guests aren't very strong IMO, so I am expecting the majority of the people that are there to be card collectors. That being said, I am expecting that the prices will be fairly high. Seems that when the autograph guests are really good the card collectors stay home and the places get packed with auto hounds who couldn't care less about cards.

I do however hope, for my sake, that there are some deals to be had. I've got 11 pages of some football stuff I want to try and find for my registries. image

I've also got a few cards I'm going to have graded on site, and a couple others I'm going to have PSA take a look at. Like that <ahem> psa 9 <cough> Walter Payton I have.

I'm going to be in awe seeing several hundred tables all in one place, biggest show I've been to only had 250 tables!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Josh
    Last National I went to had 800 tables!

It will be immensely large - I was going until the health bug bit me in the ass!

Some Stone recommendations - of course just my feelings.

1. Would be nice if you had more than 1 day.

2. Wear something comfortable - especially the shoes - you will be doing a lot of walking!

3. Bring a small writing pad and pen - that way if you find something you want to go back to, you won't have to commit to memory.

4. A comfortable tote bag is nice to store the crap you pick up.

5. If you are able - set up an itinerary of what you want to do and stick to it - keep an eye on the clock since there is the possiblility of getting stuck in an area and spending too much time.

6. McFarlane is having a show only figure of Nomar for 15$ - kind of a fun item.

7. Unless there is someone you really want to meet - don't get hung up on spending hours getting one auto - especially the free ones - if the line's long - check back later IMO.

8. General concensus? Best deals - very early...guy breaks the ice or very late...guy doesn't want to take it back or can use the xtra $.

9. Some dealers will deal - I have found being politely deferential wins points - "excuse me, will you offer me a break, if I purchase a handful of cards?" or "excuse me, are these prices set in stone or can we talk about the price on this item?"

These are just a few ideas from my larger show experience.
    Good luck guys
    Happy Hunting
    Please show us what you bring back!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Those are great tips Mike, especially the notepad/pen.

I'm going to the 28th Sportcard and Memorabilia Expo in Toronto - November 11th-13th. It will be my first time going to a LARGE show.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Thanks Mike, good tips. I have the PSA "tote" bag I'll be carrying around, along with my fine point ruler, loupe, sharpie, pen, paper and screwdriver. I also have a 100 ct thing of card saver 1's in case I pick up something high $$$ worth submitting, and some regular 3x4 toploaders for those cards I get in crappy cases or penny sleeved only.

What is PSA's on-site grading fee? Is it a fixed one or do they have several tiers? I have a stack of stuff I'm bringing with but I'm guessing for most of it the fees will be too high. Will they do crossovers or anything there?
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    The best deals that i have gotton at the National was when I went early and did some trading. The high prices match the quality. Trading gives you a pretty good advantage and saves the money in your pocket for other opportunities.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "I'm going to the 28th Sportcard and Memorabilia Expo in Toronto - November 11th-13th. It will be my first time going to a LARGE show."

I, too, will be making my annual foray to the Toronto show. The 2003 show was excellent. Last year's was notso hotso. Hopefully this year it will rebound.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Heading out this morning, will give everyone my experiences today.

I will have my kids and wife manning the ship also, so this should b an exciting day.

Julen
    RIP GURU