Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay latest; Buyer wants me to throw a card in an envelope, and lower the shipping to 50 cents!

A majority of my cards are graded and I charge 2.95-3.95 depensing on the weight. Usually, the bubble mailer, postage, and delivery confirmation, add up to just about that. Now I had the same shipping on one of my cards, it sold for 99 cents. I had lowered the shipping since it was a raw card to 1.95... and I receive this email from the winning bidder;

"Hey was just wondering if you would throw this card in an envelope and slap a stamp on it so I don't have to pay $1.50 to mail it. I will include 50 cents for postage. Let me know if that is okay ASAP and I will paypal."

HUH? Didn't he read the shipping during the auction. What should I do? I would never ask DSL or louisbollmanllc to lower their shipping from $7 for one card..

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    The guy is just asking - I would politely decline, saying that your standard packaging and posted s&h charges are not only for the buyers protection, but your own peace of mind.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ^Thank you! Perfect!!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The guy is just asking - I would politely decline, saying that your standard packaging and posted s&h charges are not only for the buyers protection, but your own peace of mind. >>

yep.. what Morrellman said..

ive recently started selling a few vintage postcards i own (non-sports).. wow, talk about cheapskates! ive gotten several emails wanting to know if i'd put the postcards in a 37cent envelope and ship..

i politely explain that the postcard is from the early 1900's and i want to protect it as much as possible.. i also explained that i charge $2.95 to ship sportscards, and that buyers have never had a problem with it..

and then i ask the person not to bid if they dont like the S&H..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I guess you E-bay sellers are now going to have to put in a line on your auction, please do not bid if you are going to have an issue with my s/h charges(sarcasm intended). What some people won't do to save a buck. Remember the total cost of winning an item = item + s/h.

Stingray
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I like MorrellMan's response - explains the S&H charge (which is fair, by the way) without being rude about it.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with asking. A closed mouth does not get to eat.

I like Morrel Man's response. There is NO reason to be rude on a straight forward question. Just give a straight polite answer and be done with it. THere is a diversity of people out and most do not think like you, so as a seller, be accomodating to questions.

When I win an auction, I always politely ask if they would accept a personal check based on my feedback and all, and most of the time they just accept it even though they never stated that they do. For an item that is below $50 and for the chance to have the check cleared before shipping, there is NO risk to them, so they go for it. THose people get repeat business from me because of being so cool.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    In some of my last couple auctions I've waited a few days for payment, when, all of a sudden, payment comes in the mail in the form of a personal check, or, better yet, CASH!!! The check or cash is short the $2.25 I charge for shipping and there's a SASE (normal white envelope) included, stating 'please send in this envelope, my risk'...Gotta love it...

Mark

And I also state 'Paypal only' in my auctions!
  • Options
    i dont take checks ..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    You should tell the buyer that $.37 cents isn't going to cover the tracking cost which paypal requires sellers to have for protection.

I can see the receiving the card and then filing a claim with paypal saying he never got it.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Tell him you spoke to the boss (your wifey! hehe!) and the boss will not change shipping rates that are published in the description before each auction begins.

Tell him I'm sorry, if it was up to me I would consider it, but there is nothing I can do!

Signed
    Shipping Department

edit: I'm just the shipping clerk!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think what most people forget is that even if you put it in a white envelope, 37 cents does not cover costs. You have the stamp, envelope, topload and/or sleeve, not to mention ebay fees, etc.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Bend it in half then put it in the envelope. image

J/K Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Mark,

those buyers should have asked you before hand what they were going to do. You stated paypal only, so they needed to ask you to accomodate them and not assume you will accept it (of course, if they ask, you can refuse and hold to the original agreement and they are not allowed to get mad).
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In a polite way tell him no

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's another option, strange as it may seem. How about replying as follows: "Sure, not a problem." And then, send him the card in a plain envelope with a 37 cent stamp.
  • Options
    right, and when it shows up in BAD shape he'll get all his money back...and the card
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, forgot to mention that the "Sure, no problem" reply should contain the phrase "as long as you assume all risk of potential damage."
  • Options
    kick his ass
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Even better, just send the card with the stamp on it.image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even better, just send the card with the stamp on it.image >>

Amen to that!

After being rejected for insufficient postage - this one is off to AJW's house - start sending cards like this!

That should cure the problem.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

I know about the experiment you are participating in and all, but that card you have there is really appealing. What is it? Topps Heritage? Topps Total (never heard of it)?

Its been a long time since I have bought a pack of cards. Now I am thinking it would be neat to have the 2005 Yankees team set. Just attractive photography and good paper quality is enough for me. With all this talk of investing, selling and flipping, it would just be nice to collect team sets raw or cards of individual players like Olerud, whom I like even though he is not a Yankee anymore. It's the spirit of the hobby. Once in awhile, I like going through my album that I prepared over 12 years ago and seeing what players I collected.....nothing of value, but the cards are well protected in sleeves and album sheets and are fun to look at. They are all mint with excellent color of Donruss, fleer, Topps and Upper Deck. Its all about the fun of the hobby and it makes a great conversation piece with baseball fans as they remember the season of yester year as well. Thought I share....

• Options
    Ripublican

Just reply with this: "Shipping is not negotiable. Thanks for your purchase."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Its all about the fun of the hobby

I agree
    Good for you.