Home Stamps Forum

How to Store graded stamp certificates

I wanted to find out how other stamp collectors are storing their graded stamp certificates. I am a new graded stamp certificate collector and wanted to find out if there is any special way to store them. Any help would be appreciated.

George

Comments

• Sheet protectors work quite nice. You can buy them in any office supply store and many stores like Walmart. The sheet protectors are clear, usually top loading, and you store them in a standard three ring binder. Two certificates per each protector.
  • Thanks for the help.

George
  • DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Check out the link to SAFE in this thread. The same approval cards for PSE submissions can be ordered with a clear plastic sleeve to wrap around the card. I fold my cert's, and store them behind the card, in the clear sleeve. The storage album on that same page is also a pretty good organizer. I realize some don't like to fold their cert's, but that's just my 2c.
  • dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I fold mine into 3rds and stuff them at the back of the album/stockbook.

If you wanted to get fancy, say if your album/stockbook is Linder/Safe/Lighthouse, then buy one of their empty binders and their 1 pocket stocksheets and put them in separately. This would kind of be a separate index book for your cert/graded material.

Doug
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Mine are at the last page of the albums, just loose.....image

Might be a reason why I keep searching for them when they have fallen out of the albumimage

Dennis
  • This is a great question. When you have only a few Certs, it is easy to put them in one place in a small book with a three ring binder. This is what I did.

Supose you have 300 Certs and your stamps have multiple Certs and then some are out for Grading Cert? What if some are for stamps you want to sell b/c the are seconds, etc.?

It is tough enough just to figure out how to store your stamps much less your Certs. I have seen and heard people criticize the condition of the Cert! So it is of some importance.

I now have Red Rope files and put them in number order of the Stamps in my collection, not for resell (seconds). This is not as neat as others, but I can look up what I have on Cert very quickly. I think the Condition of a Cert is not as important as having the Cert for stamp and maintaining the condition of the stamp.

I keep the Certs for stamps I want to sell eventually to a dealer, collector or auction house in a Plastic sleeve with the stamp in a separate location.
  • You brought up a great point that I had not considered, if you have many (in your case 300+) how do you keep track. I have a great idea, someone make an album for certs. (just kidding). I guess it could get a little tricky keeping track. I used Excel to write a program for keeping track of my collection and I guess I could add another column to idenify those with certs. I started using the page protectors because a friend of mine uses them and it seemed like the good thing to do. I do have mine in catalogue order. At some time in the future I think the condition of the cert might make a difference. That is my two bits.
  • I'm gonna resurrect this post and hope it doesn't die a quick death image

I've also been looking for a way to store certificates. I've probably got about 100 now and it would be nice to organize them. I'd like to put them in a small size binder designed for 5.5 x 8.5 sheets, but haven't been able to find anyone who makes sheet protectors in this size. Has anyone seen any sheet protectors in this 5.5 x 8.5 inch sheet size? I'm surprised I haven't found any, as the size is not that weird (it's half the standard 8.5 x 11 inch size).

Matt
  • dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Sometime after my previous post, I saw an album in one of Regency/Superiors auction for a cert album with pages. The desc said it would hold PSE/PF/APS cert and unfortunately I was outbid and cannot remember the brand. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but maybe a call to them could give insight.

• << <i>I'm gonna resurrect this post and hope it doesn't die a quick death image

I've also been looking for a way to store certificates. I've probably got about 100 now and it would be nice to organize them. I'd like to put them in a small size binder designed for 5.5 x 8.5 sheets, but haven't been able to find anyone who makes sheet protectors in this size. Has anyone seen any sheet protectors in this 5.5 x 8.5 inch sheet size? I'm surprised I haven't found any, as the size is not that weird (it's half the standard 8.5 x 11 inch size).

Matt >>

Matt,

I have used these specialty size sheet protectors for Certs in the past. Here is one vendor of this size protector, I am sure there are others, 20th Century Plastics comes to mind, but I couldn't find a website for them.

sheet vendor
    Steve Crippe
    Managing Director - Rare Stamp Department
    Heritage Auctions
  • Thanks for the responses! I actually found some here:

5.5 x 8.5 page protectors

I got them for just over 20 cents each and bought 250, so I should be set for a while.

Matt