Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looks like BGS has some explaining to do

You might want to save it locally in case it gets deleted. This one goes up there with that trimmed BGS Mark Prior rookie.
Who is Rober Maris?

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting but not surprising. I truly believe the big time submitters get better treatment.
  • Options
    Doesn't get more damning than that.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    how can beckett catch stuff like this, when they're too busy protecting pedophiles?
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    lol - this stuff happens all the time with grading. One day it's an 8, the next day it's "evid of trimming," and another day it's a 10.

Since you mentioned the Prior, I'll give you another example involving the same seller. I follow 86 fleer auctions pretty closely. When I saw Kevin B. auctioning off several psa 10's from that set, I took a closer look. Here's one of several cards from his first batch. If you punch in the surrounding certification #'s, you'll see the typical results from this seller - 10's, with a few 9's, and numerous evidence of trimmings. Among those cards rejected were Doc Rivers, Robert Parrish, Wayne Cooper, and Byron Scott.

He later auctioned off some more 86 fleers that obviously came from a different submission. Once again, you have 10's surrounded with evid. of trimming. Among those graded...

Robert Parrish
    Doc Rivers
    Byron Scott
    Wayne Cooper

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I ran those 86-87 Fleers when they were listed as well. It makes me sick to my stomach.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Just read another thread on the Beckett Registry Forum about a guy who cracked and reslabbed from SGC 96/100 to BVS and got an average grade drop of 2.5 due to alleged corner damage from SGC holder with "spacer". Comment was then made... " if you want Gem Mint 10...send them to PSA now". It appears to a neophyte like me, just trying to find out what my childhood collection might be worth, that this is a big GAME at the higher quality end with endless innuendo about "favoritism", trimmed/not trimmed, pixel centering, good grader day/bad grader day, etc. The structure seems to be designed and maintained by the big graders/dealers to take advantage of the market rather than provide a stability and a quality standard.

WHAT"S A ROOKIE TO DO???????????????????

Just a newbee perspective...back to Stone's comment on TRUST in Mudflap's thread... is that nobody really has it. Looks kind of like the Nasdaq bubble. I'm sure reality will set in some day but there will be a lot of pain. Guess I'll just keep my collection raw until that day comes.
    ADVICE....Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the comment from one of the Beckett posters that says the bottom of the card looks like it has been trimmed. Looks like there is some of the shoe that is gone, that was there.

Stingray
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely trimmed.

I've always said that the grading company's favour the big shots. There is a perfect example. How many times have we seen a "questionable" 9 and said, "Boy, if that was mine, it would only get a 7."

Shane

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Trimming and preferential treatment are two possibilities, but there is another: Beckett has dropped its standards for BGS 9.5 significantly. This formerly rare and elite grade, for which starstruck Beckett collectors would pay up to 20x the price of a PSA 10, is now almost the default grade for modern material. Submitters who were stunned and elated when 22 out of 25 cards received BGS 9.5 or 10 were justifiably uneasy after the initial elation wore off. They realized what would happen to the value of the once-rare BGS 9.5's when realization struck the market. If they did the math, and were not emotionally attached to those cards, they put 'em on eBay as fast as they could -- but not all at once, because there are those in Beckett-land who still believe this is a 1-in-1,000 grade.

At this moment there are 1,656 BGS 9.5 cards listed eBay. This is using the precise phrase "BGS 9.5" as a keyword, so it does not turn up auctions where the seller states "BGS 9 With Subgrades of 9.5!" or "BGS 9 Should be 9.5!" Longtime buyers of Beckett cards, how many hits did you get when you searched for the exact phrase "BGS 9.5" two years ago, or even last summer?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    For all of us who knew this was going on over there - here is the proof positive. Amazing!
  • Options
    rlankhaarrlankhaar Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I wonder why, especially on higher profile cards like this, that grading companies don't keep a database with serial numbers (the factory number stamped on the card) of already graded cards. The few seconds it would take to input/lookup a number would certainly prevent a "problem" like this from happening. Unless, of course, your grading standards really have changed that much.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all of us who knew this was going on over there - here is the proof positive. Amazing! >>

It would in my opinion be naive to believe it's not going on with all the companies. Beckett just seems to be the most vulnerable at the current moment.
  • Options
    I really stopped sending in larger submissions because of crap like this. I always believed BGS and PSA favour dealers like dslsports etc and I won't believe otherwise. Had the proof with PSA also jumping in grades (PSA 8 SP Authentic Vince Carter RC jumped to a PSA 10 when a larger dealer submitted it as well).

This Brady probably didn't even have much work to it either...just resubmitted it and boom...BGS 9.5....
    CB4
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shocking!

<< <i>The reason I'm so sick? I paid $800 to upgrade from my 8.5 to a 9.5 after the super bowl. >>

No way I'ld pay that kind of money for a card like that!

Mike
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think it's another example of dropped standards as well, more so than evidence of trimming. You'll note that the 8.5 flip is the older variety, indicating that it was graded back when Beckett was really tough. The newer graded cards come with the sub-grades on the front instead of the back. This stuff really sickens me. I'm not a BGS basher by any means. I always give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's getting harder to do so these days.
  • Options
    At the Harvard Design School, they have a step by step manual for Laser "trimming" paper.

A couple of high grade cards and this puppy is paid for!

Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "I've always said that the grading company's favour the big shots. There is a perfect example. How many times have we seen a "questionable" 9 and said, "Boy, if that was mine, it would only get a 7."

This may be true to an extent, but it's not the whole story. What people don't understand-- or if they do understand it they don't keep it in the fore of their conscious-- is that the actual 'grade' of a card exists on a continuum. For instance, there are no '9's' out there. Instead, there are cards with, say, 25% equity in an '8' grade, 65% equity in a '9' grade, and 10% equity in a '10'. One thing that smart dealers know is that if you have a blazer 8 you should just crack, crack, crack it until it comes back in the highest possible holder. Your average collector doesn't do this. He feels like he's 'wasting money' if he resubmits the same card 8 times and it comes back all 8 times as nmt-mt. But a savvy dealer just isn't phased by this. He'll keep sending it back in-- 15, maybe 20 times if he has to-- until it comes back a 9 (or a 10).

Like everyone here, I've submitted what I thought were 'sure fire' 9's and had them come back as 7's. But I've also submitted 'sure fire' 7's and had them come back 9's. I don't know the cert number, but somewhere out there is the worlds ugliest PSA 9 '87 Bonds-- and I'm the one who had it slabbed. Ditto for an '85 Fleer Clemens and a handful of '89 UD Griffeys.

I'm not saying this Brady isn't trimmed. Looking at it it would appear as though it is. But unless you've done any SERIOUS cracking and resubmitting- and by serious I mean sending the same card back over 10 times-- it's hard to appreciate just how subjective grading really is. There are a lot of people who say that an 8.5 should 'never' cross to a 9.5, or that a PSA 6 should never cross to an 8, but these people just don't understand the dynamics behind grading.

Take DSL. Do they get preferential treatment? I don't know. I do know that I had access to Joe Tuttles submission results a few years ago, and I can say without a doubt that he never got a break. So my guess is that this doesn't happen. Instead, DSL is smart enough to say 'you know what, this card came back an 8, but I think it's got a 10% of coming back a 9. I think I'll crack it." If you aggressively crack and resubmit you're going to get some average cards in high end holders-- and it's not because you're business is favored.

Also, one last point. Like I said, this Brady is probably trimmed. But simply because a trimmed card is in a 9.5 holder is NO guarantee that the reason it ended up there is because the dealer who submitted it got a break. If anyone here ever tried to submit trimmed cards to BGS they would probably be surprised at how many they could get slabbed-- even as a small time submitter. These conspiracy theories have one big thing going against them-- namely, that each party has to rely on the other to keep quiet forever. Let's say DSL is getting grading breaks from PSA. Well, what happens if PSA gets a new CEO, and he decides to stop it? At this point PSA is totally beholden to DSL, because if word got out about their arrangement PSA would just go in the tank. Ditto for Beckett. Can you imagine what would happen if a big time submitter suddenly got disenchanted with BGS, and came out and announced that BGS has been slabbing their trimmed cards? Boom! BGS is done. End of story. You look at it from a risk-reward standpoint, and taking this kind of chance is just not worth the extra few thousand you make from a submitter each month- particularly when that submitter may have submitted his cards to you anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not saying this Brady isn't trimmed. Looking at it it would appear as though it is. But unless you've done any SERIOUS cracking and resubmitting- and by serious I mean sending the same card back over 10 times-- it's hard to appreciate just how subjective grading really is. >>

But centering isn't subjective. For centering to improve, either the card was trimmed or the dealer got preferential treatment.
  • Options
    "But centering isn't subjective. For centering to improve, either the card was trimmed or the dealer got preferential treatment."

This assumes that centering is actually measured-- which I'm almost positive it isn't. The BGS subgrades are a total farce. Somebody looks the card over, decides on a grade, and then slaps on some subgrades.
  • Options
    Instead, DSL is smart enough to say 'you know what, this card came back an 8, but I think it's got a 10% of coming back a 9. I think I'll crack it."

I've always wondered how many of his vintage cards are bought raw, especially the star cards. I've never sold a graded card to him/them on ebay as far as I know, but, man, that's a lot of gradeable vintage to keep finding raw week after week. I know other dealers buy high end cards all the time, though.

And, yeah, beckett's centering subgrade is very much subjective. I've seen 86 tt cards that were a grade apart in centering even though they were centered the same.

So, Boopotts, since you've done so much resubmitting, how many times on average do I have to submit my high end 9's to get a 10? (This is kind of like the old Tootsie Pop question).
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Boopotts, excellent post, I agree with you 100%. IMHO, all subgrades do is give the appearance of objectivity to an inherently subjective endeavor. Exactly, what does a 8.5 surface have that an 8 doesn't have and a 9 has more of? Likewise for edges. You can argue all you want about centering, but exactly what is centering on full bleed modern cards like the Brady in question? Pure horsehockey, all of it.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    "So, Boopotts, since you've done so much resubmitting, how many times on average do I have to submit my high end 9's to get a 10? (This is kind of like the old Tootsie Pop question)."

That's actually a really good question. I've cracked out some expensive cards, but I just don't have the stones to bust out something like a 67 Mantle in a PSA 9 holder. Too much can go wrong. Also, I've had PSA damage cards of mine when they were in their possession, and I don't think I could stomach having a four figure card come back in a 7 holder with a corner bent.

So, in sum-- I've never cracked a vintage nine (although I've cracked an ocean of modern nines). And I'm not sure that I will get into that, since it's such a risk cracking the stars and cracking commons is not cost effective.
  • Options
    "Exactly, what does a 8.5 surface have that an 8 doesn't have and a 9 has more of? "

The surface grade is far and away the biggest joke. Nobody as BGS actually examines the surfaces-- I'm now sure of that. Unless there's a scratch or a surface wrinkle they don't even spot it.
  • Options
    And what do expert collectors and dealers pay for this impeccably executed precision evaluative service on an annual basis???

I know...pass it on to the customer as a cost of business. Kind of like 6% realestate commission.

IMveryHO grading should be on a continuous scale...not a step function... with supporting commentary. I guess some sort of do that????

Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. (I guess there ARE different results so it can't be stupidity)

Don't fix the problem....reslab on...I love it.
  • Options

<< <i>And what do expert collectors and dealers pay for this impeccably executed precision evaluative service on an annual basis???

I know...pass it on to the customer as a cost of business. Kind of like 6% realestate commission.

IMveryHO grading should be on a continuous scale...not a step function... with supporting commentary. I guess some sort of do that????

Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. (I guess there ARE different results so it can't be stupidity)

Don't fix the problem....reslab on...I love it. >>

I'm really not trying to be a smart alec, but I don't understand what you're saying here.
  • Options

<< <i> IMveryHO grading should be on a continuous scale...not a step function... with supporting commentary. I guess some sort of do that???? >>

and no two cards are in the same condition...

take a psa 9 - some 9's could have been on a bad day (or in worse cases ARE) psa 8's, while others could have been on a good day (or in best cases ARE) psa 10's. the monetary difference between an 8 and 10 could be 50 times or greater.

i grade all my psa cards like this: (-2) denotes a slider, (-1) for a weak card, (0) for an accurate card, (1) for a high-end card, and (2) for a card that has a shot at being graded higher. i keep an excel file - this way i know which cards to upgrade.

brian
  • Options
    This has been very interesting.

On a board that is skewed towards cards I will tell you that the net result for me is the gradual expansion or diversion of my budget toward "other than cards."

There's nothing new about this discussion other than the participants.

I, like many of my collecting friends, have gradually moved into other areas with a new set of painful problems!

A hobby ceases to be fun when people spend more time debating the crooks, pitfalls and fallacies rather than interesting and informative posts on items of interest.

Ya know, I could consider selling out and collecting rocks and sea shells!

Mike
  • Options
    "A hobby ceases to be fun when people spend more time debating the crooks, pitfalls and fallacies rather than interesting and informative posts on items of interest."

That's your opinion, and I respect that. However, you need to respect the fact that some of us do enjoy discussing the dynamics of card grading. If this doesn't interest you then there are certainly other threads currently active on these boards that you will find more engaging.
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Rocks and seashells will just break your heart...sad, but true. image
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    I guess it just amazes me after less than two weeks in "the Collector Club" a significant amount of banter revolves around the less than satisfactory grading standards in the industry.

Coming from business and manufacturing, there are volumes and volumes written on Comparative Evaluation, Subjective Evaluation Theory, and numerous other tools to define quality or comparison to perfection with a number or level when the characteristic is not objectively measurable. i.e Softness, Sharpness, Focus etc, etc.

Surely those who run these companies are not ignorant of these systems.

IMO both the seller and buyer of grading services are satisfied with the status quo since any change would radically alter their perceived value...or business level...and they can't predict in which way.

So we all line up with a favorite grader, blast the opposition, and reslab trying to work the fringes of subjectivityto our advantage.

Probably not clearer but at least I tried to explain what I see as several glaring deficiencies in the whole game.

• Options
    "Probably not clearer but at least I tried to explain what I see as several glaring deficiencies in the whole game."

Hi Clev--

You're obviously an intelligent guy, and again-- I'm not trying to be a smart alec. But can you tell me what these deficiencies are that you see?
  • Options
    Dynamics????? Give me a break

Looks like the dynamic of people who would rather talk about it than do something to change it.

It can be improved and can be corrected but I guess many of you don't think that anything is wrong.

Dynamic Denial ???
  • Options
    "Dynamics????? Give me a break

Looks like the dynamic of people who would rather talk about it than do something to change it."

Why would I, or anyone else, want to change it? That's an ignorant assumption. Just because I say that BGS's subgrades are a farce doesn't necessitate that I wish they were otherwise.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Collect for fun, use disposable income and this sort of crap will never bother you.

If I like a card and it happens to reside in a 7 holder, there it remains. if i do not like it I seek out another. I guess it all depends on you want from your hobby.

Steve D
    Good for you.
  • Options
    No standards...and I mean REAL standards.... for grading. Like GAAP...generally accepted by all

No explaination on variation from ideal or perfection...the old I'll know it when it see it until I see one better method.

We don't know the details of the grading process, training required/given, certification required,etc. (Trade secrets??)

Varying "standards" (Beckett 9.5, as someone mentioned used to be IT,...now ????

Basic lack of " professionalism" for lack of a better word.

Enough blather but these threads are really something to read through for a neophyte....almost unbelievable!!!

To summarize, I would "TRUST" some of you to grade my cards before sending them off to who knows where or who knows who to look at.

The expertise of the hobby is really in the forum members....flex your muscles a little if you want it to change. Does anyone???

• Options
    Amen Steve...

After this diatribe I think my collection will stay raw...as it has been for 45 years.
  • Options
    Boopotts -

How have you done with the modern 9's?

I've cracked out a fair amount, but I've always sent them to beckett. I know that even if they remain a 9 but get high subs, they'll still sell for a lot more. I've only had a few go up to 9.5.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The expertise of the hobby is really in the forum members....flex your muscles a little if you want it to change. Does anyone???

we were told that we had no muscle, that we were only 1% of the PSA world.

not much muscle there

Knowledge? Plenty of that to go around.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>lol - this stuff happens all the time with grading. One day it's an 8, the next day it's "evid of trimming," and another day it's a 10.

Since you mentioned the Prior, I'll give you another example involving the same seller. I follow 86 fleer auctions pretty closely. When I saw Kevin B. auctioning off several psa 10's from that set, I took a closer look. Here's one of several cards from his first batch. If you punch in the surrounding certification #'s, you'll see the typical results from this seller - 10's, with a few 9's, and numerous evidence of trimmings. Among those cards rejected were Doc Rivers, Robert Parrish, Wayne Cooper, and Byron Scott.

He later auctioned off some more 86 fleers that obviously came from a different submission. Once again, you have 10's surrounded with evid. of trimming. Among those graded...

Robert Parrish
    Doc Rivers
    Byron Scott
    Wayne Cooper

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. >>

This is VERY VERY troubling.

I don't know why you bring such things onto the PSA boards. The TRAINED and CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS at PSA do a very good job of grading and weeding out the altered cards. Is it their fault that they're able to find the trimmed cards? The only pattern I see from the cert #s is that PSA was able to catch a bunch of trimmed cards and that we should be thankful to them for doing this.

PSA is doing a fine job and I will continue to stand by them against these malicious attacks!

I personally think PSA should mix all cert numbers as to prevent things like this from happening. We don't need collectors snooping around in things that really don't concern them. PSA grades the cards, you collect them. NUFF SAID!!

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>"A hobby ceases to be fun when people spend more time debating the crooks, pitfalls and fallacies rather than interesting and informative posts on items of interest."

That's your opinion, and I respect that. However, you need to respect the fact that some of us do enjoy discussing the dynamics of card grading. If this doesn't interest you then there are certainly other threads currently active on these boards that you will find more engaging. >>

Boo
    You totally misunderstood the purpose of my statement.

It was NOT directed at what people should nor should not post.

It was meant as a reality statement on WHAT is required to talk about. I'm right there with you guys - we NEED to discuss this. We NEED to keep informing each other.

Unless people are rude to each other, I will never tell someone what is an appropriate post. I have NEVER informed anyone about spam, wrong forum or anything - we all pay the same dues to post here.

I'm disappointed that you would think that I would go down that road.

mike

edit: for the sake of clarity - what I'm saying: I think it's a shame that we have to spend so much time and energy because there's so many problems/hurdles to jump in the pursuit of something we truly enjoy.
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for always being a class act. Nice to have you around! image
  • Options
    I request membership in the misunderstood group also.

I am for the HOBBY....not a grading company.

I am here because I believe that PSA is by far the best.. but
    Praise doesn't force improvement nearly as much as constructive criticism and suggestion for improvement
    Being the lead dog in a last place sled (comparing our sled - cards to other sleds that grade items) is not very comforting
    PSA should, IMHO, either lead, follow or get out of the way in this area...not tell people they will be booted for voicing legitimate concern
    The crucible of change always creates a better breed.

Like someone said 8 to 10 can be 50x value...it ought to be as RIGHT, FAIR, REPEATABLE, and as BEAUTIFULLY CORRELATED to a REAL STANDARD as humanly possible.

Bottom line...ITS OUR VALUE / $$$ / HAPPINESS AT LOOKING AT A CARD or whatever....

Wag the dog some more???
  • Options
    I don't think any grading company (of cards, coins - you think cards are bad! image , comics, etc. etc. etc.) has even heard of, let alone employed some sort of TQM (Total Quality Management) system. The very fact that people even accept this notion of cracking-and-resubmitting as a way to get improved grades (and such a process actually WORKING at a decent rate) is a sign of the complete and utter failure of grading companies to employ strict, exacting, and consistent standards. Even the loosest internationally accepted TQM standards require adherance to six-sigma standards, which essentially means that errors in a process occur at most a handful in every MILLION cases. I think that some method of computer grading would help immensely, especially since scanner technology has taken some incredible leaps over the past several years. Sometimes I wonder whether a single MBA graduate works for any of these companies image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think any grading company (of cards, coins - you think cards are bad! image , comics, etc. etc. etc.) has even heard of, let alone employed some sort of TQM (Total Quality Management) system. The very fact that people even accept this notion of cracking-and-resubmitting as a way to get improved grades (and such a process actually WORKING at a decent rate) is a sign of the complete and utter failure of grading companies to employ strict, exacting, and consistent standards. Even the loosest internationally accepted TQM standards require adherance to six-sigma standards, which essentially means that errors in a process occur at most a handful in every MILLION cases. I think that some method of computer grading would help immensely, especially since scanner technology has taken some incredible leaps over the past several years. Sometimes I wonder whether a single MBA graduate works for any of these companies image >>

Interesting point bjork
    On that note - I wonder how big this company truly is? My point - every corporation should be spending money on R&D - some of the assets should be going towards the development of a computer "assisted" grading program IMO. I know...they have tried it in the past....well keep going back to the drawing board till one gets it right - that's called research for the purpose of "progress" and the net result will be a better product and even more customers!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I don't understand why PSA should do anything more than what they're doing now. As evidenced by the success of the PSA Set Registry, consumers are very happy with the quality service provided by the trained and certified professional graders at PSA. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Ya know, I could consider selling out and collecting rocks and sea shells! >>>

I just had a conch shell graded. I thought it was a 10 but it came back an 8 because it had some sand in it. I'm thinking of cleaning off the sand and resubmitting.

• Options

<< <i><<< Ya know, I could consider selling out and collecting rocks and sea shells! >>>

I just had a conch shell graded. I thought it was a 10 but it came back an 8 because it had some sand in it. I'm thinking of cleaning off the sand and resubmitting. >>

DON'T DO IT!!! Don't go to the darkside! But if you decide to be very careful since the sand can scratch the surface and it may come back a 4.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    "I don't think any grading company (of cards, coins - you think cards are bad! , comics, etc. etc. etc.) has even heard of, let alone employed some sort of TQM (Total Quality Management) system. The very fact that people even accept this notion of cracking-and-resubmitting as a way to get improved grades (and such a process actually WORKING at a decent rate) is a sign of the complete and utter failure of grading companies to employ strict, exacting, and consistent standards. Even the loosest internationally accepted TQM standards require adherance to six-sigma standards, which essentially means that errors in a process occur at most a handful in every MILLION cases. I think that some method of computer grading would help immensely, especially since scanner technology has taken some incredible leaps over the past several years. Sometimes I wonder whether a single MBA graduate works for any of these companies."

This assumes that PSA wants to change. What % of their monthly gross comes from crack and submit?
  • Options
    "I've cracked out a fair amount, but I've always sent them to beckett. I know that even if they remain a 9 but get high subs, they'll still sell for a lot more. I've only had a few go up to 9.5."

Which issues have you cracked? Some issues just never get the bump; others get it frequently.
  • Options
    Mostly the popular rookies from the 80's and early 90's - bonds, ripken, griffey, sosa, etc. As far as the card actually going up a grade, most of my success came from the later issues such as 89 ud and 90 leaf. When Bonds was hot, though, an 87 fleer graded a 9 by BGS with high subs could go for as much as $150-180, whereas a psa 9 could be picked up for around $80.