Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

RAW Vintage SCORE - long!!! Subm. Questions?

Just let me start by saying that I'm a long time reader of this forum and enjoy it whenever I get the chance! I currently have the #1 1978 Topps Basktball Set on the Registry and have been in the air about starting another, preferably baseball. I started buying some 61 and 75 graded cards but fell out of them pretty quickly. To make a long story shorter, this is what basically happened this past week:

Last Friday I left work for my lunch break to blow off some steam. I usually go to the driving range and kill a bucket, but I decided to stop into the card shop nearby cuz i havent been there in quite a while. I asked the usual, "what's new? whataya got for me?" The owner told me he bought up an older collection and went out back and retrieved 2 monster boxes. To my amazement, they were full of baseball singles from 1957 to 1975.......Diamonds!!! I started to flip through them and we just looked at each other and laughed! These cards were like they were just ripped!! The borders were WHITE, the colors were LOUD, CENTERING dead on, and the corners were SHARP!!! He bought the collection from a friend who decided to focus more on the newer cards that are out nowadays. This guy was anal about these.

OK, so I was very late from lunch that day....and Sat...and Mon. I ended up plucking the best ones I could eyeball as minimum PSA 8 while a Large % should yeild a PSA9 (maybe even quite a few 10s) . There are a few lower grade cards i took too cuz of the player or Hi # or SP. These werent too much lower either. All in all about 300 cards and a huge dent in my pocket!! No Mantles, but just about every other HOFer throughout those years. With the majority of them being from 64 65 and 67. I'm thinking of the 65 set to focus on. But I still want to grade the rest.

My Questions?:

1) Should I grade them all at once and chance it with Darth?

2) Should I submit separately by years (65 being first)? or star cards?

3) Or should I focus on the real real hi grade ones and submit them together?

Basically I want them holdered! Now! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Someone must of had this grading dilema before. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum don't mean to SPAM if that's what it is. Just had to vent this out to people who would understand and be able to give me some ideas. TIA

Comments

• Options
    I would say to go with smaller batches and "pre-grade" them so you can see how close your grades are to psa's.

Good luck on those 1965s - I'm 6 away from finishing my set.

Brian

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a grading special on now - $5 for cards from the 60's - If you are confident that they will grade, send 'em in! Must be postmarked by end of July though. Sounds like a score! Am just starting out on the 1964's - after a nice raw find myself. Good Luck!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Brian is right. Did you loupe the cards or just check them out close up? The difference between a 6 and an 8 is often not visible to the naked eye. Pregrade a small batch (25 cards if you use the current special), send them in and see how you fare. Better to pay an extra buck a card (bulk 60's is $6 a card) than to be out $1500 bucks if you send them all in and they come back lower than you thought.

Not to offend, but there are a couple of things in your post that would cause me to recommend you check your hysteria level:

1. I ended up plucking the best ones I could eyeball as minimum PSA 8 while a Large % should yeild a PSA9 (maybe even quite a few 10s) .
    Raw 8s from a dealer are rare indeed, especially when "eyeballed". Although possible, the chance of picking up that many vintage 9s and 10s raw from a card store are slim. I would have no reason to doubt your enthusiasm but....

2. Basically I want them holdered! Now!
    Slow down - haste makes waste.

Good luck!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would chance it and submit them all, hey you only live once!

SD

Good luck!

ohhhhhhhhh welcome to the psa boards!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the inputs guys! Just stinks that its almost a gamble on the grader you get. But these cards are no sliders and I would find it hard for any grader to screw most of these up. I think I'm gonna send in the star cards first. These being the ones I'm most wanting to see slabbed. I'll then probably submit in groups of years, some bunched together. Likely start with the 65's.

As for my dealer, he really doesn't believe in grading cards. I know, it's 2005 get with it will ya!!! He does have some graded cards of todays stuff only to please the crowd, whatever. But he's old school and enjoys a real nice card in a plain hard plastic holder. I basically got 20% off NrMint Beckett Quarterly prices. I'll try to get my scanner up and blast a few here and we can argue over the most likely grade. Should be fun! It'l be a test of my naked eye. Hope its not too hard to post the pics.

• Options
    Please tell us how you make out, as raw vintage scores are few and far between these days it seems... way to go!