Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wanted: SMR writer - Contact ASAP

Hello All,

I am out at the National in Chicago, looking forward to a busy week.

We have started to change the SMR slowly but surely, taking your advice and focusing more articles on the collectibles and people that make this hobby great. While the change is going well so far, I could use some more help in hopes of furthering the improvement.

I am looking for a writer who can generate, at minimum, one feature story per month. I would like the writer to have a hobby background and focus on hobby-related matters.

If anyone has interest, please email me at joe@collectors.com with your contact info, etc.

We want to continue to improve SMR and appreciate the great feedback from all of you over the years.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
PSA President
Joe Orlando
CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I think you should contact Mudflap. He will give you the edge you are looking for.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have Axtell and Gemmy10 do a monthly debate! image

Shane

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I had been critical of the SMR in the past but I must say that this recent issue (Shoeless Joe on the cover) is a great read. A long article on 1958 Topps, the Odyssey of Steve Wong plus quite a bit of results on previous auctions (which I always enjoy). I can forgive having a basketball article because everything else was enjoyable. If you can find more writers like Laurell and of course, Churilla and those that do the Market News, the SMR would become even better.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I have suggested following the lead of the car and motorcycle mags -- heck, even most of the women's mags! -- and having a girl in a bikini fondling PSA-graded cards on the cover, but Joe hasn't gone for it.
  • Options
    Im partial to the article on the vintage movie cards in this months SMR.
  • Options
    you know Marshall Fogel did a story in one month and it was supposed to be a regular thing. Whatever happened to that?
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    I'd be more interested in bringing your prices closer to what the market is bearing than writing an article.

If you need assistance in this area I'd be glad to help.

Bob

Bobocaf@aol.com
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Consider putting someone in charge of tracking NonSports PSA graded cards on Ebay. Add more NonSports sets to SMR. Ebay is really the most accurate guide to sales prices of NonSports cards. And how about another $5.00 NonSports card grading special
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    Joe:

Just a thought.

Run an ongoing monthly "writing contest," open only to Collectors Club members.
    Submissions would be 700+/- words, on any subject related to the card biz/hobby.
    (Photos welcome.)
    The "winner" gets his/her edited screed published and receives $x in PSA gift-certificates.
    (The higher x is, the more serious entries you will receive.)

This concept should be in addition to the original idea you mentioned.

Cher
  • Options
    ajetfanajetfan Posts: 229
    I'd be more interested in bringing your prices closer to what the market is bearing than writing an article.

I agree with the above!

As some examples, if anyone has the following cards, I'd be happy to buy at full SMR and then sell at 2-3X SMR.

1970 Kellogg's Clemente PSA 9
    1972 Topps Aaron IA PSA 8
    1975 Topps Jim Rice PSA 9
    1992 Bowman Mariano Rivera PSA 10
    and I'm sure the list could go on.

There are also many examples that consistantly sell at 1/2 of SMR or more, but way too many to list.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Perhaps instead of pushing for a priceguide, we should push for a return to when cards were fun and not investments.

If you want to make a profit, play the stock market. Don't cheapen my boyhood heroes by putting a pricetag on them.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    You can do what Beckett does.. they monitor their message boards and whenever they notice something interesting in a post such as a guy completeing a tough set.. pulling a great card.. or for instance the cards I made in my signature.. they'll ask the person to do a first person piece regarding whatever it was to be featured in their next issue.. They got a free 1000 word+ article out of me with graphics and everything.
  • Options

<< <i>and receives $x in PSA gift-certificates >>

At this point I would take a simple "thank you."
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the job has been filled, but following ESPN's 50 States/50 Days tour, I would like to see an article each month about a different city and the hobby. I know people from this board are from all over the US and I think we would all be interested in what people collect, regional shows, stores, etc.

For example I am from Detroit, the hockey collecting capital of the States (Toronto can have Canada). We one regular regional show at a place called the Gibralter Trade Center every two weeks, they rotate it between two locations and bring in signers (usually a local star, Hockey HOF, or a WWF star). The most popular players are Steve Yzerman, Ben Wallace, and Kevin Jones. Red Wings stars are always in demand. Lions and the Pistons are probably the next most popular. The Tigers are way behind. There is a huge collecting community since we have winter for six months out of the year, four pro teams, and two Big 10 teams in the are. However Detroit is a tough market for dealers and retailers because the economy is down and there are a lot of part-time dealers that tend to dump stuff for the next mortgage payment. The retail market is stronger, albeit smaller, once you get out of the metro area. Actually the west side of Michigan (it is a wide state, as are the people) has a lot of Chicago fans. There are a few stores in the area, but the selection is limited to local stars and tend to be at book. Pictures from a show, local store, sporting event would add a nice touch. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

I'm sure each city has their own unique collecting communities. Just my opinion.
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and receives $x in PSA gift-certificates >>

At this point I would take a simple "thank you." >>

Thank you, Kevin.. image

(from a reader)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Mr. Orlando,

I do not have a suggestion for a specific writer, but I do have a suggestion in general for SMR. I hope this isn't too OT. I think it would be great to have a "Reader's Write" section in the magazine. In the 80's it was one of Beckett's best sections. It is awful in that publication now (the whole thing sucks), but if it was done right it could be fantastic. I think you and I are about the same age, and I just remember reading BBC monthly in the mid late 80's and how much enjoyment I got out of the "Reader's Write" section, and don't think it was because of my age at the time. I think SMR is a great pub. and getting it for free with my membership is more than just a frindge benefit. I am really impressed that you are looking from input from readers/members to make it even better. You get "your hacks" every month and I think it would be great if we could take ours as well. Thanks for letting me get in my 2 cents.

Damian
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Joe -

Beckett has a weekly column featuring a dealer's "buy and sell experiment." Now that column is pretty dry, but it's a good concept. If one of your authorized dealers - particularly a vintage dealer - would agree to write a column giving some details regarding their latest "deals," I think it would be interesting. It would depend on how much the dealer was willing to share.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I really hope they were able to get some writers because I just got the October issue and it is...thin on content. Two good but short articles on Red Man and T3. That's it, plus the usual stuff one can see online. There's a Pigskin Preview which 1) doesn't belong and 2) not that interesting; plus an article on those ugly but apparently popular 1993 super atomic refractors. Just one reader's opinion, esp. coming off of the superb September issue.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I wrote an e-mail to Joe around the time of the National to talk with him about the possibility of doing it but have received no reply. I would love to write articles and can think of tons of good topics which SMR readers would likely enjoy. However, I've not heard from anyone about it and I'm not going to chase anyone down about it either.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wrote an e-mail to Joe around the time of the National to talk with him about the possibility of doing it but have received no reply. I would love to write articles and can think of tons of good topics which SMR readers would likely enjoy. However, I've not heard from anyone about it and I'm not going to chase anyone down about it either. >>

Josh
    Did you email him a resume and some samples of your writing?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    No, I just e-mailed to make initial contact and inquire more about it. Since there has been no reply, I am under the assumption that they have found someone already.
  • Options
    I really have no comment on this........none at all.........see you next month image
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso