Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Congratulations to Greg Maddux

3000 Strikeouts! and in a Cubs uniform no less!
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Where does he rank with everyone else in strikeouts?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's #13.

Steve

Edited to correct the number (I forgot Walter Johnsonimage )
  • Options
    I think they said he is the 13th pitcher to get 3000Ks and 9th pitcher to have 300wins/3000Ks
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I was thinking about the Maddux Master set, but it has 760 cards!!! image
    I may give it a try, anyway. What the heck?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking about the Maddux Master set, but it has 760 cards!!! image
    I may give it a try, anyway. What the heck? >>

Mac
    You are talking raw set?

I have a lot of his RCs that I pulled from 87D packs - I will probably be long gone to the next world before they exhaust the supply of his RCs!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Congratulations to Greg Maddux

you mean this guy?

• Options
    Yeh I started with collecting maddux cards from the 80s..then I started doing the master set. After not even putting a dent in this set, I will settle for trying for the basic setimage It will take some time but hopefully I will get it done someday.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

The pitcher he is facing tonight, Noah Lowry, was 5 years old for Maddux's first K.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    300 wins, 3000 strikeouts, the lights-out pitcher of the 1990s. Not bad at all. Chicks may dig the long ball, Greg, but I dig you!

To think I discarded this HOFer's rookie cards as commons when I was going through 1987 Donruss boxes in the late '80s. Bonds, too. image
  • Options

jr... I bet you pulled every Kevin Mitchell, BJ Surhoff, David Cone, Bo Jackson and Wally Joiner though!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Sure Brian
    I'ld know that sig anywhere! Now this is an auto I could do without! With all the classic sigs like Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams, Ruth - this guy looks like he signs his name with his feet!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>You are talking raw set? >>

Mike, I'd be interested in graded, I guess. I like to see where I stand on the scoreboard. I've totally fallen for the PSA registry psychology. Unless, of course, the Pogo Stick Registry has a Maddux set(?)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You are talking raw set? >>

Mike, I'd be interested in graded, I guess. I like to see where I stand on the scoreboard. I've totally fallen for the PSA registry psychology. Unless, of course, the Pogo Stick Registry has a Maddux set(?) >>

Mac
    That's quite a project! Doesn't that mean that in some cases a buck or 50 cent card gets graded?
    What's on the list e.g.?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Does Maddux go in the Hall as a Brave or a Cub?
  • Options

I am a die hard Cubs fan and I say he will undoubtedly go in as a Brave.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I think he will go in as a Brave as well. A die hard Cub fan Zef? I'm 40 years old and used to run home from school to watch the Cubs on WGN. I also used to sneak a radio in to class and listen to Lou Boudreau and Vince Lloyd. All that changed though when the Cubs got Sammy Sosa from the White Sox.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Does the HOF choose what "cap" a player goes in with now? I thought they had allowed a player at one time to choose.

what "cap" did Gaylord perry go in with? I remm seeing him at some oldtimers game and he had somthing like 6 or 7 logos on his shirt.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>That's quite a project! >>

That's the thing, it gets absurd after a while. I started a Sosa master set because I wanted a set with more modern cards, and have found that if I'm patient I can pick up nice graded cards for $2 & $3. The Sosa set is over 1,200 cards now, so it'll take the rest of my life to complete it. Plus they'll be adding 100 new cards every year until he retires. I'm not ready to take on another one of these, especially since my heart is really in vintage. Here's a sampling of the Maddux set:

2000 BOWMAN CHROME METEORIC RISE GREG MADDUX
    2000 BOWMAN CHROME METEORIC RISE GREG MADDUX REFRACTOR
    2000 E-X E-XCEPTIONAL RED GREG MADDUX
    2000 FINEST GREG MADDUX
    2000 FLEER GAMERS EXTRA GREG MADDUX
    2000 FLEER IMPACT AUTOGRAPHICS GREG MADDUX
    2000 FLEER TRADITION GREG MADDUX NL WINS
    2000 FLEER TRADITION GRASSKICKERS GREG MADDUX
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Gaylord Perry played with 8 teams in the majors. In the HOF, he is wearing a S.F. Giants cap--the team he started with and spent the most years with in the majors.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    ajetfanajetfan Posts: 229
    I'm pretty sure that the HOF does pick out the players cap worn.

I remember when Gary Carter was elected he wanted (well maybe he was persuaded by the coaching job given to him in the Mets system) to wear a Mets cap, but the HOF insisted on the Expos.

I was a bit surprised since he did get his ring in NY in 1986, but what can you do. The hall probably just wanted an Expos cap there, but the Mets still have zero non-pitchers in until Piazza is elected way down the road. Yes, Piazza has more at bats with the Mets than the Dodgers.

---------------------------------------------
    1987 Topps Traded Tiffany Greg Maddux PSA 10 ending Thurs 7/28 on ebay
  • Options
    I thought so ajetfan. wasn't there a controversey with Boggs as well? regarding Tampa bay, a few years back?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Yes, the Hall of Fame does now pick what cap a player wears on his plaque. This policy was changed after Dave Winfield was inducted and was supposedly paid a million dollars to have a Padres cap on his plaque. Prior to that, the player was always allowed to pick what team he would represent.

Steve
  • Options
    ajetfanajetfan Posts: 229
    Thanks for clarifying that SDSportsFan. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall that Winfield situation.

Does anyone know for sure if the HOF goes strictly by # at bats for a hitter or # of innings pitched for pitcher? Is something written in stone or is it a case by case situation?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for clarifying that SDSportsFan. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall that Winfield situation.

Does anyone know for sure if the HOF goes strictly by # at bats for a hitter or # of innings pitched for pitcher? Is something written in stone or is it a case by case situation? >>

Here's the answer straight from the Hall of Fame's website:

Who decides what team logo will be used on induction plaques?

The choice of which team’s logo appears on a player’s plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history museum and as such, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark. Visit our Hall of Fame plaque section to see the plaques of your favorite Hall of Fame members.

Steve

• Options
    A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement,

Interesting.....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Being a lifetime Braves fan, it was kind of sad to see him leave. He was one of, if not the best pitcher of the 90's. A lot of pitchers nowadays have tried to copy that inside pitch that moves over the inside corner at the last minute that he perfected. The guy had an era of 1.nothing one year in the era of everyone hitting 50 plus homers.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options

<< <i>Being a lifetime Braves fan, it was kind of sad to see him leave. He was one of, if not the best pitcher of the 90's. A lot of pitchers nowadays have tried to copy that inside pitch that moves over the inside corner at the last minute that he perfected. The guy had an era of 1.nothing one year in the era of everyone hitting 50 plus homers. >>

Jay
    I hated to see Tom Glavine leave also - I wonder if he would have won more games in Atlanta than he did in NY - since he's a lefty - and based on his total career, he's moving into HOF territory IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I wonder if he would have won more games in Atlanta than he did in NY

YES

SD
    Good for you.