Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Larry Fritsch selling unopened stuff from his vault

Hi Guys....Has anyone noticed Larry Fritsches ad in SCD this week? He is now making available unopened boxes and cases from 1968 and up. He does not list anything but asks you to send a list via email or letter but no phone calls of your wants and needs. I have sent 3 email with my wants and have not got any replies. He stresses that this is not a sale but i guess you have to guess what he has since he does not list anything. Sounds like he wants big bucks. Has anyone got though and quoted any prices? Does anyone think that he has some really neat unopened stuff left besides what he usually advertises? Anyone know him personally or professionally?

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have never bought anything from him, but everytime I see his adds his prices are outrages, IMO. When I was collecting modern stuff, his prices on sets were way out there, like $15 or $20 more than other dealers. I do not know his pricing on older items, but figure it is out of my range.

Stingray
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    you can be sure the cost will be top dollar plus 50%. Larry is no fool. If you're looking for bargains, look somewhere else.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    What sports are for sale?

Nothing about it on his website. I'm extremely curious to see what he has.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing tho

And I hope I'm not lying but if you get it from him and pay more - at least you know the stuff is good, IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's most of the Ad - SCD doesn't totally fit on my scanner.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing tho

And I hope I'm not lying but if you get it from him and pay more - at least you know the stuff is good, IMO.

mike >>

It was back in the dark ages, but my brother and I used to buy from Fritsch all the time - a complete set every year, and a miscellaneous star card we really wanted here and there. Even then, and even with my adolescent knowledge of pricing, I knew his prices were pretty steep. But, I was always very pleased with his cards. I've also heard that he is very good about giving refunds, but I was never disappointed so I never tried.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It seems like they are trying to create an artificial air of mystery surrounding this sale, making it seem as if there are some super duper incredible buys in there 'no phone calls!' screams out 'hey we want to make it seem more important than it is, therefore driving prices up'.

Seems awfully forcefully dramatic to me.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

May wonders never cease. I agree with Axtey again. But in future topics will he ever humble himself to agree with me? Nah.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    "This is not a sale" = Be prepared to pay through the nose for my stuff.

I'm with Mike though, his unopened product (whatever that may be) is as legit as you can get.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    If it is not a "sale", is he really selling anything? Will it become a closed bid auction? Look out pop reports, which will go up, and prices of high grade vintage cards will go down.
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Written inquiries only?? No email, fax, or telephone contact regarding the boxes. Sounds like a scam to me. If I had great unopened material to sell I would use every avenue possible to maximize my return. I would never by anything under his guidelines.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I'll say his prices are high.

$124 for a box of 05 Topps Turkey Red. I guess he offers no presell prices.

That box will cost him $70 or less, guaranteed.
  • Options
    I emailed him......see what happens....
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Written inquiries only?? No email, fax, or telephone contact regarding the boxes

you can email and fax him, just no phone calls.

jay what did you ask him about? what year of cards?

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I purchased an '81 Topps Football Vending Box a few years ago. The box was kind of banged up on one end but I pulled two Montana Rookies (both came back PSA 8's). He also seems to have an endless supply of 1972 Topps Football 3rd series wax boxes available (very tough). Course, he's priced them at $5500/box. As previously stated, his stuff is good just a bit overpirced. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I just checked his website. The 1972 Topps Football 3rd series wax boxes are $6,400. Maybe he will put these other unopened boxes on his website once he has exhausted all other avenues.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I used to drool over his ads in BHN and other publications in the 1980s where he was constantly listing boxes and cases from 1968-1970 to present. Even back then, prices were steep. I remember seeing a picture of his warehouse in Wisconsin - floor to ceiling, wall to wall cases.
  • Options
    I would imagine that he does make some sales. However he wants top dollar for his stuff. that is a reason he still has it.
    in his mind I would think he thinks it can only gain in value.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Just remember that Larry wants the hobby to chip in so he can build a "museum" to house all of his cards so he doesnt have to sell them and they can remain as one of, if not THE largest collection.....
  • Options
    I specifically asked about 1971 Topps baseball wax, still have not heard anything yet.
  • Options
    Yikes Jay! I bet that is gonna be an arm, leg and a few other body parts lol

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "It seems like they are trying to create an artificial air of mystery surrounding this sale, making it seem as if there are some super duper incredible buys in there 'no phone calls!' screams out 'hey we want to make it seem more important than it is, therefore driving prices up'.

Seems awfully forcefully dramatic to me"

I couldn't agree more. Which brings me to another pet peeve; if you have something to sell, man up and state what you want for it. None of this 'I have 'x', submit offer' nonsense. If you want to take that route then put it up for auction.

I know a dealer at the Gibraltar shows who just hits the roof whenever someone comes up to him with something to sell, then says 'what will you give me' when he asks what they want for it. His stock response is some obscenely low number. When the potential seller blanches he says 'well, make me a counter offer'.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496

<< <i>I purchased an '81 Topps Football Vending Box a few years ago. The box was kind of banged up on one end but I pulled two Montana Rookies (both came back PSA 8's). He also seems to have an endless supply of 1972 Topps Football 3rd series wax boxes available (very tough). Course, he's priced them at $5500/box. As previously stated, his stuff is good just a bit overpirced. image

Scott >>

Any idea as to how many '72 Topps football Hi# boxes he has? He's been selling them forever.

• Options
    Well I got a response today saying they are pricing the stuff I asked about so we will see. They also said they got a lot of response from their ad so be patient if you emailed them. I can't wait to see how out of line these box prices are going to be! image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a "fishing" expedition. If one had access to a list of unopened packs available from other dealers around the country, one could fish for buyers, see what they're willing to pay, and then if that buyer is willing to pay more than the cost of buying the pack from another dealer, then a sale is made.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Larry from back in 1979 when I was an official Topps dealer. Never could figure out where he found his suckers to pay his ridiculous prices, but I guess he has a way to find them.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    <<I just checked his website. The 1972 Topps Football 3rd series wax boxes are $6,400.>>

And the prices just keep gettin' higher and higher.

<<Any idea as to how many '72 Topps football Hi# boxes he has? He's been selling them forever.>>

No idea. He must have had a few cases put away. I know he was submitting cards to SCD Authentic for grading (when they were still doing cards) and using that "Untouched" grading service. The grades weren't coming back very high so I guess he stopped grading them and went back to selling the boxes. Must not have too many takers at those prices. I think I paid $199.00 for my vending box which I thought was pretty good at the time. I've wanted to pull the trigger on some of his singles but I'm not sure how fare he grades cards. I mean, one man's Ex-Mint is another man's Poor to Fair. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    A few years ago, I bought a few of his '59 Topps football second series vending lots ($99 for 40 cards w/ Mitchell and Taylor rookies, now it's $139!). This was before the pop report exploded.

They were sharp cards with the normal distribution of OC's, PD's and NM-MT cards. I think I got one 9. The Mitchell and Taylor rookies were OC (70/30), but still sharp.

With so many cards for sale, there's bound to be some deals in there somewhere.

But most of his prices....woah.....$45 for an '87 Topps baseball set? $475 for an '84 USFL set? Ok.....
  • Options
    Got this reply today:

Christopher,

Thanks for your recent email to us concering our Sports Collector's Digest Ad. We are currently in the process of pricing items out that you requested. Many emails have come in requesting prices on a lot of different items. Because of this there will be some delay, but we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
    Alan/Larry Fritsch Cards

I am impressed as I only sent the email this morning..........hope they have the goods to match the hype lol.
  • Options
    hmmmm...interesting. Guy puts out an ad requesting people email, fax etc him for stuff and he does not even have a price list ready?

Methinks the price of any item depends on the amount of requests he may get for said item.

he really does not want to sell. he wants to see how many people will grovel for his items. JMO

SD

thanks for getting back Jay

Good for you.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    The guy's being selling cards FOREVER. I like his adds. Sometimes he has some oddball stuff. I use to think that boxes and packs were oddball, but there is really a market for unopened product. His prices use to be steep. I think I bought some baseball sets from him in the 1980's but that's too long ago to recall. He's a legit guy, just not one to put everything on Ebay at 99cents.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    whatever happened to texas sportcard company?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>whatever happened to texas sportcard company? >>

He was a personal friend of mine and ended up with a few problems.
  • Options
    Fritch is selling some 75 football and baseball cellos now, under user id alesb. I won a real nice football cello a couple of weeks ago from him $60 delivered. The cello looks like it was just purchased at the local 7-11 thirty years ago. His reserves were I believe around 50 for the football cellos. The ones they have up right now he has upped his reserve I have no idea what they need for them. I think you can trust that his product has never been tampered with. I really want to know what his reserves are on the baseball and football cellos he has up now. I bid on the 75 with Bubba Smith on top and I can't meet a reserve yet.
  • Options
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Some of the bids are $50+ for the 75 BB cellos and the reserve is still not been met? Do not know price of typical cello, but these ones mainly have star cards on them. Wish I had a few extra bucks.

Stingray
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I think it would have been easier to just list what he had for sale and whatever prices he wanted. If you wanted the item and could deal with the price then buy it, if not let it rot in the vault. Is Fritsch doing this to spread it out to the collectors instead of an auction on ebay? We just wanted information. I have been waiting over a week now...they should have come up with a price for us waiting a week.
  • Options
    think it would have been easier to just list what he had for sale and whatever prices he wanted.

I agree! Since he hasn't, that tells me he just wants to see how many people will in fact email/fax/whatever him.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    I also got the generic response as did brianwintersfan, jayhawk & spazzy. Hopefully he answers these requests.

I actually like the way Larry went about this as we all know he doesn't give anything away. If he listed all his wax with phonebook #'s he would have drove up everyone elses prices.

Hopefully he has some vintage hockey left. I bought a few raw 68 topps from him about 10 years ago and they were dead on. He charged hi beckett X3 but it was worth it since all the local stuff was vg-ex at hi beckett.

JMO, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    if you go to his site, and look thru his catalog especially the first one..click on page #26 or 66 you will see a price for every 75 cello unopened with the player on top and back and a price..one cello in 75 with the ryan he wants 550.00 for...ouch!!!
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    It would be awesome to see some 1968 or 1969 topps hockey wax packs. I remember years ago asking him if he had any other unopened stuff and he said no. By the way, that 550.00 baseball cello has been that same price since the late 80s when Ryan , Brett and Yount were hot. It just scares me when you see him selling 1975 football cellos in the catalog with stars and cello boxes too. How much is cherry picked? Sure its unopened ..but is it really unsearched or untouched.? I always wondered when they were grading Untouched 1968-72 cards from vending for scd card grading but he had none for sale....where did these came from?
  • Options
    personally, I wont buy unopened unless its been authenticated as such (GAI) or I get it direct from BBCkid or BBCexchange. Period!! Even the GAI concerns me but, since I am not opening it and I am keeping it as an investment, it should hold its value.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    I would not be surprised that bbc exchange and bbckid have dealt with Larry some times to get 1972 football wax packs or 1972 topps basketball boxes (when basketball boxes were 1900.00 last year)
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an unopened collector, but has anyone EVER seen the price of vintage unopened go DOWN? Sure, Fritsch will ask a ton for his product, but that doesn't mean it's a bad buy. If you want pack X or box Y and it's only available from Fritsch, he can name his price. No matter what that price is, the odds are very good that it will look like a steal in five or ten years, no?

Anyone interested in making a list of requests emailed? The odds are that I won't buy anything, but I'm curious to know what his prices are. I'll send an email listing a few items, but I'd rather not duplicate anyone's prior request.

So...if you want...list what you've inquired about and maybe we can put together a list of most of his prices.
  • Options
    I don't know if he is playing games now with his existing auctions. NONE of his cellos have met reserves yet. The 78 cello with Staubach is at $56 . I don't think that is that rare of a cello and is a lot of money for that. He has a day and change left. I bet the 75 baseball cellos are reserved at $125. There are a couple of ways to find out.
  • Options
    he can name his price.

i agree, i just would like him to give a price once someone emails him with a request as per his instructions. To keep people in the lurch is not good business. either he is selling this stuff in his "this is not a sale" ad or he isnt.

I for one will not play his game.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I just shot an e-mail requesting pricing on 1978 Topps baseball unopened. I'm just fishing too image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Has anybody gotten a reply?? I know I haven't!

• Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Nope!
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is Larry? Maybe he is thinking about retiring?
    Mike