Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Queen Victoria Holey Silver 3 pence

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Just for LordM >>

Pffft.
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>Just for LordM

Pffft. >>

Unless of course somebody else is working on a Holey Vest and wants to start a bidding war ... image

Happy Rock Wrens

Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's a Maundy 3 pence?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    If lordM had to buy each and every holed coin that various forum members discover from time to time, he would have to sell his body to afford them all.image

But I'm sure he appreciates the effort. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he would have to sell his body to afford them all. >>

Now that is not a pretty thought, especially if you have met the man in person. Wrong on so many levels. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>he would have to sell his body to afford them all. >>

Now that is not a pretty thought, especially if you have met the man in person. Wrong on so many levels. >>

So ... he's not exactly cut out to be the next Fred Garvin of the old SNL skit fame?

Happy Rock Wrens

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Why buy the coins holed at all? Just buy a bunch of 3ds from a junk box and "do it yourself?" I have plenty of specimens of that ilk just waiting to be holed. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Why buy the coins holed at all? Just buy a bunch of 3ds from a junk box and "do it yourself?" I have plenty of specimens of that ilk just waiting to be holed. image >>

Hmmm ... smoebody could make the vest out of coins then ... sorta like ringmail shirt ...

Happy Rock Wrens

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm ... smoebody could make the vest out of coins then ... sorta like ringmail shirt ... >>

Scale mail rather than ring mail, actually. image

The idea first ocurred to me more than a decade ago, when I bought a 25-pound bulk lot and probably six or eight pounds of it was 1980's Greek 2-Dr coins. I took them to work and drilled 'em all at their 12 o' clock position, using the drill press in the maintenance shop.

But I never got around to making my holey Greek coin "armor". I had the coins until 1999, when I dumped the whole lot of them on eBay. They did pretty well, too. All prepped for the jewelry trade, I suppose.

It wasn't until 2000 that I got the idea of doing a coin vest with already-holed old coins, not to replicate a suit of armor but as decoration.

<< <i>Pffft. >>

Thiggy was welcome to that 3d; I have more than I need.

But thanks for the post, anyway. I had missed it until somebody brought it to my attention. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.