Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A New Registry Set for Carson City Morgan Dollar Varieties

As there are numerous varieties of the Carson City Morgan dollar included in the

Morgan Dollar Circulation Set with Varieties,

can somebody tell me why there is no

Carson City Morgan Dollar Circulation Set with Varieties?

It would seem to be a logical step in particular as CC coins seem to have become a lot more popular in the past 3 years.
cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
- Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
- Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
Morgan Dollars Proof
- Basic Set - Varieties
Peace Circ.

Comments

• Options
    You never know. Why don't you ask via the Q&A forum?
  • Options
    I did and my question was not posted. Go figure.
    cho10

Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    I had to ask three weeks in a row once to get the question answered. I would post it again.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probly cuz not very many registry collectors collect the Morgan CC varieties I would guess.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    2 gripes I have w/ the current CC registry:

1. You cannot list any variety in the registry. For instance, you cannot have your Tailbar listed in the registry in place of your ordinary 90cc. Same can be said for any variety of the 80cc, or the 79cc capped die. So if you purchased an 80cc 8/low7 the computer will tell you the cert# is invalid - you must purchase an 'ordinary' 80cc

2. Set is not weighted for PL or DMPL designations. This makes no sense to me. Mirrored morgans are the most sought after, and the CC mint produced the nicest cameos. A nice cameo may command double the price of a non-mirrored morgan.

I wrote DH and asked him to "flip the switch" on the CC registry, he responded that they would be doing something 'soon'; that was a year ago. I don't think they would ever weight this set, or allow the recut 79cc in place of the non-capped version; doing so would totally realign the current and all-time standings and probably piss-off some people. That said, I do believe there will be a new CC registry sometime in the future.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigAl:

Sometimes a year is "soon" at PCGS image

I've been talking to Mr. Hall, and waiting, for a Morgan VAM Registry set for three years.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BigAl,
    you have mentioned things about the CC Registry set that bother me too. It was the choice that I was obliged to make between an MS63 1879-CC and an MS63 Capped Die CC that prompted me to start this thread in the first place. I have noted on my CC set that I also have the numerous 1880 varieties too. I don't see why PCGS has recognized all the varieties in the Morgan Dollar Circulated Varieties set and has omitted those very same varieties from a potential CC Varieties set.
    cho10

Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    BigAl, just a note that I was allowed to enter my 90CC Tailbar in the CC registry ( I was not allowed to use any of my 80CC varieties thoughimage
    steve

myCCset