Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Take an Ancient Guess...

Here is one which isn't meant to baffle you too much. Take a guess on this coin. It is an ancient is all I'll tell you. It's pretty corroded but should be easily identifiable.

Ben
100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roman Imperial. Can't make out the inscriptions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Roman Imperial. Can't make out the inscriptions. >>

1st Clue, maybe??? Constantine II
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Roman bronze AE2 of: (can't read the legend) so will guess:

Constans Emperor AD. 337 - 350
  • Options

<< <i>Roman bronze AE2 of: (can't read the legend) so will guess:

Constans Emperor AD. 337 - 350 >>

Yes, that could be it. The back is what has me puzzled though.
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    Your picture is too small for me to make anything of the legends on the coin.

I think it is Sol on the reverse, wearing a radiate crown and holding a globe.

Look at the reverse of the first antoninianus on this page.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's almost certainly Sol on the reverse of your coin.

But what the hell do those legends say? Post a bigger picture, please, before my head explodes. image

• Options

<< <i>It's almost certainly Sol on the reverse of your coin.

But what the hell do those legends say? Post a bigger picture, please, before my head explodes. image >>

Well, therein lies the problem... The camera I use is a Sony Mavica FD91 hand held and that's as close as I can get it. SORRY!!!!!

LOL
    Ben
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options

• Options
    Right you are it appears. Check this ref.# _London RIC VI 153.1 or any around it with old Sol holding the globe w/crown.

Sol at large

Gooe Job!!!
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    It's a bit late for me but I think that the reverse legend is "CLARITAS REIPUBLICAE" a correct type for the Sol reverse. The mint appears to be Siscia, 4th workshop. I have a 1988 Sear and this is the type of S3944. I almost never use my van Meter, but it is listed under Ce 2 as #33. I'd go pull the RIC VII to be more precise, but I just got called downstairs for dinner!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    By Jove (Iovi Conservatori), I believe he's right! image

Thank you, STLNATS, I can put the pieces of my skull back together now.

• Options
    A couple of adds

It is indeed RIC 37 from Siscia. These were stuck in 317, the year Ce2 became Caesar AND 3 years old! (must have been tall for his age).

Also, according to my Dictionary of Roman Coins (also long neglected as I chased around pieces of paper for the last 10-12 years) Claritas means brightness or brilliance, so this is the brilliance of the Republic and Sol would be an obvious link.

I note the coins I have in the RIC and notice that I have one of these for Ce I. Don't recall it nor do I recall looking up Claritas so thanks for the opportunity to dusk off some books that I hadn't looked at for too long......

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you guys don't even have a Redbook or dates.

STOP IT !!!
  • Options
    And you guys don't even have a Redbook or dates

Of course we have a "red book." Its called "Roman Coins & their Values" by David Sear.....

And, dates are for wussies!

• Options
    Whew, found it at the bottom of a dirty cloths hamper, image LOL. But then again you guys didn't know I'd misplaced this coin a couple of weeks ago.

Take Care
    Ben
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!