Home U.S. Coin Forum

Photography Practice: or Look at/Grade this Large Cent and 3 Cent! (Big Files)

I have been playing around a bit with my friends camera which is a lot better than mine and took a few pics. Here is a Large Cent and 3 Cent for you to comment on. I would appreciate any advice! Oh, and there's going to be another picture thread in a moment here with a couple possible Lincoln Cent errors I would like help with and some other stuff, check it out!

BTW, All photos were editted using Paint!!!

Large Cent Obverse:

Reverse:

3c Obverse:

Same under different lighting:

3c Reverse:

Same under different lighting:

Thats it, feel free to comment/ grade these and check out my other pic thread! Thanks

Joe
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• I like the pictures and I love thge cent. It is nice and original. The 3c looks extremmely whizzed.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Thanks, I like the cent as well. Im still a very new collector and it happens to be my oldest coin. I know it's nothing too special but I could look at it for hours image I agree about the 3c, you mean dipped/cleaned right? It becomes very obvious if you invert the colors.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    First, it would be nice if the coins were oriented in the proper direction.

Second, if you adjust your lighting, you need to adjust your white balance and/or exposure. I'm assuming you used the same background for all the coins? If so, they all should look white like the first 3 cent nickel pic.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say VG8-VG10 for the 3c piece. I don't know if I would say it was whizzed- maybe- but it certainly looks a bit scuffy. On the large cent, I would say VG10 to F12, I guess.

<< <i>I know it's nothing too special but I could look at it for hours >>

That's all that counts. image

I miss the earlier days when I was like that. I guess I'm more jaded now. There aren't as many coins that I can look at for hours. Interestingly, the ones that do hold my interest are, like your 3c there, not always in the best of shape. I can fondle one of the well-worn, holed Bust halves I've been collecting lately and enjoy it even more than one of the slabbed AU examples from my dealer stock. And a grubby Seated dime that I dug out of the dirt while detecting can excite me more than a brilliant Uncirculated example I bought. I like circulated Morgan dollars more than I do Mint State ones. Go figure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>
    First, it would be nice if the coins were oriented in the proper direction. >>

<< <i>
    Second, if you adjust your lighting, you need to adjust your white balance and/or exposure. I'm assuming you used the same background for all the coins? If so, they all should look white like the first 3 cent nickel pic. >>

I agree with you. Unfortunately, my computer at home is very slow and I had to do all of this at school. The only photo editting software is Microsoft Paint and you can only rotate photos in multiples of 90 degrees. They are all as close to aligned as I could get them this way.
    Same goes for all the lighting, you can't edit that in Paint. Thanks for all the tips thought.

Lordmarcovan: Well, maybe hours was a bit of an overstatement. image

joe
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Joe,
    The white balance and exposure should be adjusted/set in the camera. That way you don't need to do much in image editing software, other than cropping and compressing. Practice, practice...
    Good advice Barry, that would save a lot of time. I agree about the practice, thats what this morning is forimage I think these pics are a lot better than any previous ones I posted. In fact they are so bad, I'm not posting any links.
  • First coin: VF 30
    Second coin VG 10 (looks cleaned?)

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file