Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sidney Crosby - Drafted By The: The Pittsburgh Penguins

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Didn't end up in Canada but oh well at least he went to the team who needed him the most.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Yea whatever lol.
    Was watching it live too.
    Being a CA guy, I wanted him to be
    a duck. I guess it's good for Pittsburgh.
    Get that franchise back on track.
  • Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be sweet to see Crosby playing alongside Lemieux. It'll be interesting to see if he comes close to living up to expectations. I wonder if he'll be able to handle the bruising NHL defensemen - after all, he's just a 17 year old kid who's only 180 lbs. My money's on Ovechkin to make an impact right away. He's just as skilled as Crosby (except he doesn't see the ice as well), plus he's big, strong and feisty.

On a related note, I noticed SP Authentic Rookie Redemption cards for the Penguins spiked to $200+ as soon as it was announced that the Penguins won the lottery.
  • Options
    oddballoddball Posts: 119
    he's the LeBron James of hockey...of course he'll never live up to expectations...but he'll be ok and people will still praise him just because ESPN has told us to
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>of course he'll never live up to expectations >>

I'll just copy and paste what I said on the sports talk forum..

There was a ton of hype regarding Daigle, Bonk.. I can name quite a few if I thought about it more but you get the idea... they didn't do very well in the NHL.

If the Pens didn't need him so bad as a quick fix to their lack of fan support I think it would be in their best interest to trade him to a team who's willing to fork over 20-30mil (they could use the cash), that teams first draft pick.. and a proven superstar player. Like an Iginla calibur player..

Just too many drafts have gone by with these so called 'next ones' who end up suck'n while the players picked 4th.. 7th.. turn into stars.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he's the LeBron James of hockey...of course he'll never live up to expectations...but he'll be ok and people will still praise him just because ESPN has told us to >>

I don't really follow baskeball all that closely, but LeBron's done a pretty good job of living up to the hype so far. Obviously he still needs the rings to fully realize the expectations, but they certainly could still come.

I'd like to see Crosby succeed, but NHL draft history is indeed littered with busts. My personal favorite being Pat Falloon. I must've bought a million of his '90-91 Upper Deck WJC card, not to mention many of the highly coveted 7th Inning Sketch juniors card. Of course, even if he had lived up to his #2 billing, those cards would probably still be virtually worthless. What the hell were we all thinking in the late '80s/early '90s?!?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would have liked to see him in Chicago, which I know would have never happened even if the Hawks got the first pick. Wirtz family is too cheap !! They would have traded the pick for a couple of picks and a 35 year old has been.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    I think Pittsburgh is going to build a team around Crosby. They've got new ownership who are willing to spend a bit of cash. Unlike most teams in the league, the Penguins have lots of cap room to sign some top notch free agents. Plus, Lemieux said he's willing to take a low salary to give the team more money for free agents. You know with Mario only having one or two seasons left, he would love to make one more run. They already signed Mark Recchi, and I've heard Kovalev might be coming back. They've got one of the top prospects in hockey with Malkin who they're trying to get over from Russia. They've got a great young goalie in Marc Andre Fleury. If Pittsburgh could sign a couple solid defensemen, they'll be contenders.
  • Options
    I found this old thread and found it interesting to see how people were speculating 3 years ago on how good Sidney Crosby would be. I think he has answered all those questions and more.
  • Options

<< <i>I found this old thread and found it interesting to see how people were speculating 3 years ago on how good Sidney Crosby would be. I think he has answered all those questions and more. >>

Indeed. He is quite a skater to watch. I'm not big into hockey, but got to see Crosby play in person back in early January. He's impressive, even to non-regulars to the hockey world.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to see Crosby succeed, but NHL draft history is indeed littered with busts. My personal favorite being Pat Falloon. I must've bought a million of his '90-91 Upper Deck WJC card, not to mention many of the highly coveted 7th Inning Sketch juniors card. >>

Heh-heh...New Jersey had next pick #3 and drafted Scott Niedermayer. Philly #6 and took Peter Forsberg. #15 and #16? Alexei Kovalev and Markus Naslund. Any of those guys could have been someone to build a team around. All hindsight I know, but I'm willing to bet I could tell that Scott Niedermayer was better than Pat Falloon, even in Juniors.

• Options
    Crosby is still not as good as Ovechkin.....
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>Crosby is still not as good as Ovechkin..... >>

After his hat-trick in the first period tonight, it's tough to disagree with you.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    When is Crosby supposed to be back?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This brings up kind of an interesting question. Which first overall pick entered the league with greater expectations (and hype): Lindros or Crosby?