Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A PVC question

I recently bought a PCGS coin that had a few green spots on the high points, yesterday I took it in to ask a
dealers opinion and he confirmed it was PVC. The thing that has me confused is he said it was an acceptable
amount. I thought even a tiny amount was a terrible thing so now I'm a little confused. So is there such a
thing as an acceptable amount of PVC?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is there such a thing as an acceptable amount of PVC? >>

On a PCGS graded coin? No IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Don, thanks for your opinion. That's pretty much my feelings too.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC is not good. I guess what is acceptable is a very, very relative term

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    acceptable if he's the one that sold it to you. Not if he's buying it!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>acceptable if he's the one that sold it to you. Not if he's buying it!!image >>

I should have offered to sell it to him and see if his opinion changed.image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    PVC in any amount is unacceptable.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "So is there such a thing as an acceptable amount of PVC?"

No!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i> So is there such a thing as an acceptable amount of PVC? >>

That depends - in a lawn sprinkler system, yes
    on a coin, NO WAY!
    Roy

• Options
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. The dealer I had look at the coin was a PCGS authorized dealer.
    Here's a scan of the coin so you can see what he called acceptable.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for showing us the coin, Python, even at the great risk to your reputation .... image

Liteside + PVC = AAAACCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!! Get thee behind me, Satan!!!! image

On a related note, isn't this a good idea to dip coins in acetone before submitting them?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I hate finding coins in the grade I want, then looking closer to see that greenish-ness lurking.

I guess it is acceptable if the seller and buyer both are aware of its presence and agree on a price. I would generally avoid it, unless it was a coin i wanted, that is hard to find and most likely won't come up again for a long time.
  • Options
    I returned the coin and got my money back. The sad thing is the dealer just put the coin back on his website
    without even mentioning the PVC.image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    PVC bad!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Python:

I completely agree that there is a high level of frustration here. I am curious... what is the date and grade of the coin?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I returned the coin and got my money back. The sad thing is the dealer just put the coin back on his website

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Maybe an acetone bath would have been in order? It helped other coins I have read about here?
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot believe what some so called collectors, that think of only themselves, have said in the thread that Python started on the US coin board.

Bravo Python for your concern.....image

Ken
  • Options
    PVC is not a good thing to have on a coin and should be removed so as to avoid further damage to the coin.

Python, I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with this dealer. Thanks for sharing your experience with us; the community is better because of your story.