Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2005 Topps on the registry

In looking through the 1 registrered set, I can't decide which is more puzzling: that the set is on the registry at all, or that there are actually a lot of cards PSA'd already. At least 3 Tony Clarks have graded 10, 7 Antonio Alfonsecas 9 or better, 7 John Thomson 10s (!). I guess some people are really into the latest sets.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    that is certainly a head scratcher....
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Yeah, that's definitely weird. Although IMO (and please--I don't want to start a flame war here, this is just one man's opinion) it's no weirder than grading commons from '76-'81. Well, OK-- it is a little weirder, since if you score a 10 on a 70's common you can flip it for a reasonable return. But think of it this way-- a typical late seventies common in PSA 9 usually barely recoups the grading fees. The same is doubltessly true for 2005 Topps, so it really just comes down to personal preference.

Note-- I did not say that people grading and collecting slabbed sets from the late 70's are suckers, or that there efforts are misplaced. I'm only trying to point out that from a financial perspective collecting almost any graded set post '75 offers a similar ROI.
  • Options
    I can understand what you guys are saying and i would be the last one to send some 2005 topps to psa for grading. But alot of people must think that I'm off my rocker for putting together the 1987 Donruss set together all PSA graded. But to me that was my favorite set growing up, it has every player that I loved, a classic design and best of all I can pick them up fairly cheaply. Add to that the fact that I can compete on the set registry and have the joy of having all my 87 Donruss here next to me completely protected from my dog, cats and son for eternity in these slabs. There is nothing like the ease of storage and piece of mind of having a graded card.

I think the best thing PSA could ever do is significantly lower their grading fees so that it was more cost effective to slab modern issues as well as commons. I am sure the sheer volume would more than make up for the discount.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    my take on it?

to each his own, some may not care about ROI.

some collect ...just to collect

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    For the health of PSA; and all of us have a vested interest; this is a good thing!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "To each his own, some may not care about ROI."

Obviously not, if people are grading 2005 Topps cards. But that wasn't really my point; what I was saying is that from a ROI perspective slabbing a 1979 set is only slightly better than slabbing a 2005 Topps set. I wasn't saying that this was the only legitimate perspective.
  • Options
    boo i assumed that those submitting 05 topps are self submitters trying to collect the set. that was my point.

are you saying that these people are having these cards graded with the intention of selling them? im confused as my take has to be a valid one as not everyone cares abt ROI I know I don't.

Sd

edited to add: lol boo i re read your post and you were agreeing with me.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Well, I know that DSL has been getting '05s graded to sell them. I get most of my Raphael Palmeiro stuff through them, but the 2005 actually got a bid for $15 on a PSA 10. Now, I know it's not much, but it's overpaying for that card. Only reason I'd be after it, is because I have the Palmeiro set that I'm putting together. Other than that, not sure why I'd want an '05 set graded versus a vintage or even decent modern issue.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Yeah i forgot about them and 4 sharp. they are doing that so people like yourself can get the cards you need. providing a service.

if i ever have my MVP, CY YOUNG. ROY and FIREMAN sets graded i too would need them every yr.

and I thought i was the number one fan of Palmiero.

good luck arnyves on your sets.

steve
    Good for you.