Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Wish List

This fall we will be reprogramming and enhancing the PCGS Set Registry. This
will be the first major update since we launched in February, 2001. Through the
years, you have sent some great ideas, some of which we were able to implement
right away, some we have had to hold until the right time. If you have some
feedback, we would love to hear from you. Send us your ideas about how the
Registry might be more flexible, easier to use, and what tools you might like to
see that might help you in your collecting pursuits. Don't be shy. Your ideas
count!

Separate obverse and reverse pictures!

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seperate the Early dimes, Early quarters and Early halves sets. Make individual sets for the Draped Bust and the Capped Bust. As it is now someone only collecting Capped Bust can not have a "complete registry set" because they don't have the Draped Bust that are included. Works the same for the guys collecting only Draped Bust. PCGS did this and seperated the categories for the half dimes and it's great....now for the other 3 denominations?
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    How about you enter "coins" and not "enter coins in a set". This would allow you to just add a cert number once and then attach it to your set. Kind of a pain to add the same coin 4 times. You should just enter a coin and then the system would ask you which of your sets you would like to add it to.
  • Options
    How about instead of having the little camera icon for coins with photos attached there is a thumbnail image of the actual photo?
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Canadian $1 sets separated out by monarch for the large size dollars prior to 1968

Canadian $2 PL set

UK decimal sets

UK £sd sets ... at least where it makes sense ... King George V thru Queen Elizabeth II first

UK type sets for those who collect by monarch

UK proof sets pre decimalization

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    I would agree with Steve

Canadian $1 sets separated out by monarch for the large size dollars prior to 1968
    Canadian $2 PL set

UK decimal sets

UK £sd sets ... at least where it makes sense ... King George V thru Queen Elizabeth II first

UK type sets for those who collect by monarch

UK proof sets pre decimalization

Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An actual info page where you can have obverse and reverse images as well as a detailed description. Replace the one image page with this page, so you could click the camera icon and once you are on the page of information, you have the last and next links to other coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Require any Best Set Registry Award winner to list their coins or give the award to the next lower set that does. Alternatively photos without grades would be a fair. Or photos of the paper insert, if the coins are long sold and now in NGC holders.imageimage
    morgannut2
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures first and then a "Hit List" like the NGC Registry has.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Restructure the weights in sets that have special attributes, (full steps, full head, full bell lines, full band) As an example... FB Dimes, There are certain years that FB's are Extremely rare. And when found for these years only in lower grades or very low numbers, ms64FB for example, are ignored because of the fact that even with the two point bonus, a 67 non band coin will rate higher in the registry. Years when the special attributes are extremely rare the weight should reflect this with an extra point. As it stands now there is no upside for finding and submitting these marginal grades, with better strike coins.
    Dan
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Dig out Frank's old post on how the Jeffs should be weighted ... Did you know, for example, that 1938-42 proof Jeffs in DCAM (pop for all years 1/0) are weighted at 2, while any 1950s proof DCAM is weighted at 3? Now, that makes sense ...
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    True "WEIGHTING scores" that actually take grade into account.

You can have one set that has a tough date in MS55 that's worth $2000 with a POP 100. Another set can have the same date in MS65 with a POP 1 and is worth $50,000...and the SET points are basically the same.

There should be some credit other than GPA for having a superior set of coins.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lincoln short set.
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

regarding ALL FINEST MODERN REGISTRY SETS that are retired

They should not be penalized for not adding coins after they are retired.The Sets should retain the GPA they achieved when they retired their sets.

For example the JOHN TROY Proof Lincoln cent 1959-date set(famous for purchasing the 1963 PR 70 D Cam Lincoln) is off the charts because he retired his set in 2004 .Therefore he could not add the 2004 and 2005 coins.

I second the SOG idea !

Stewart

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Stewart,

You know I 2nd "that" motion image

Plus, we need a Proof Roosevelt Dime 1950-Present w/Varieties set image
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I know I have said this in another post. PCGS HAS to hire what is called an information architect. It is this person's job to figure out the flow of the site BEFORE the programmers get hold of it (just so you know, I am a programmer). Have you ever gone to a website and said

I can't find anything, why do I have to click 8 times just to add this photo, what the heck were these people thinking when they put together this site?

The odds are that the company didn't bother to hire an information arch and they just started adding features and slapping on software that they downloaded.

On offense, but PCGA features that demostrate this:

1) Why do I have different passwords/usernames for the boards and the registry (I know the answer is that they just downloaded this board software and didn't take the time to truely integrate it. But I guess a close 2nd is that they can kick people off the boards without killing their sets)?

2) Why do I ALWAY have to go to the screen where I put my set's description when I want to add a coin (I almost never change this description, but I have to click past it everytime)

3) why can't I just enter a bunch of cert numbers separated with commas or spaces instead of one at a time (sometimes when you make a big purchase, you get a list that you would like to just paste in)

4) Why is it that after I validate my set I am at a screen that doesn't allow me to go anywhere useful (I would either like to go back to editing my set or view the set I just edited)

5) Why do I have to enter the same certificate 4 times if the coin fits into four sets. Shouldn't I just enter a coin and then I can hit a button saying "show me the sets that this coin can improve" and then let me decide if I want to add that coin to that set (this would require taking databases 102 in your 2nd semester of school). This would make the website somewhere that I can maintain my entire collection and then bring me to the site more often.

6) Why is "set summary" under "register/edit set". I never knew it ever existed.

7) why is it that when I am looking at a set, sometimes I see the bread crumbs:

PCGS Set Registry > Two and Three Cents > Shield Two Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1864-1872)

But I other times I do not

and on a smaller scale why don't I have a breadcrum to bring me back to all the registry sets when I am looking at all of the types of sets under things like "Half Cents and Cents" (I can hunt for it on the side, but that is always true and yet they put it sometimes)

8) why am I doing all of these things for free when I just deleted all of my sets?

Just some ramblings of a crazy person.
  • Options
    A simple addion- For the most popular series (ie. Lincolns, Morgans, SL Halves ) have a full mint mark set. They have it for Carson City in Morgans, but not the other mints. This partly distorts the marketplace to CC's-- because afterall, most people don't have a million dollars setting around to do a full date/mint set in MS60, but might be interested in the other mints..

And obviously the different logins/pw's for the forum and registry have to go----
    morgannut2
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HRH has already promised an O mint Morgan set I believe. Not sure when it will happen tho.
  • Options
    Thanks--I am putting together a lower grade MS/ toned O mint set of Morgans and it would be great to register them with photos.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    World War II Basic sets (1941-1945PDS no varieties) for Walker Halves, Washington Quarters, Mercury Dimes and Lincoln Cents. They already have it for the Jefferson Nickels and I'm guessing it's because of the silver content. It would be great to have matching sets for the other denominations.
  • Options
    Create a lincoln wheat cent date set. the current date set is for both wheat and memorial coins.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the program for loding pictures automatically size the image for use in the data base. You can load any size picture into the eBay program for loading auctions and it resizes it to fit the listing and even givers you options on super size and such. This would make including images easier for everyone.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Add a Lincoln Cent Short-set, 1934-1958

For those sets that have pics, have a link in their registry that will put the pictures in a gallery format.... so that you can scroll through the pics without having to click "next pic," or what ever that little link says.

David
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Add a "Box of 20" registry were the coins can be from ANY PCGS set. Require pics for it. Make it a show-case set There are LOTS of collectors that want to see a feature like this in the registry. Most aren't tied to having only twenty in the set, but they do want to see a place where they can show highlights or collections that dont necessarily fit into any one set.... for example a toned coin collections.

As far as ranking goes, people seem less concerned with having a rank than being able to show-case. If you've just GOT to have a ranking system, I'm sure we could get some of the forum members to work up some suggestions.

David
  • Options
    More respect and awards for the UK sets.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Lots of good recommendations. I'd like to second Sonof-a-gunk's recommendation of an Information Architect. He mentioned lots of reasons an Architect can make a user's like easier. I'd add that it also makes the programmer's life easier and it makes future changes easier. For the guys writing the checks, this means you save money over the life of the product as well as having happier users.

I also would like to recommend an "options" page. This would allow users to configure the Registry to work the way they want. For example, I frequently visit maybe 20 pages on the Registry. These are the sets I watch. I should be able to list those pages (e.g., 1950-1958 Proof Lincolns, 1938-1964 Proof Jeffersons, 1913-1938 Circulation Buffalos...) and have them appear as links on my Registry Home page.

For each of these, I should be able to list which ranked sets I want displayed initially (eg. Lincolns: 1-20, Jeffersons: 1-10, Buffalos: 10-22), as well as a default for all other list pages. My Home page should indicate which of these list pages have sets that have changed in anyway.

I should be able to have a links to all my Registry sets on my home page. And links to any other individual sets I wish.

Similarly, I should be able to specify what I want an individual set's page to look like. Perhaps I'd like the images to appear without additional clicks. Perhaps I'd like more extensive population information. Or pricing information.

Perhaps there should be a "what if" option for any individual Regstry set page. E.g., if I added this coin to my set (or removed it), what would its rating become? I suspect many of us do this in Excel already.

Perhaps I should be able to link to sales archives like Heritage or Teletrade.

Just a few thoughts on a Sunday morning.

CoolKarma
  • Options
    I like the idea of adding a coin once and having it post to all applicable sets. That would be good for PCGS also, because it would inflate the number of sets rather quickly. I believe that you would need to only show sets that are 25% or more complete to keep the number of sets from being too burdensom.

I would like to see sets that feature continuous runs in the same denomination (this is selfish), such as proof halves..... 1900 - 2000, or all proof halves.

just an idea.
  • Options
    Add the 1869/69 S-3 Indian Cent to the Indian Cents with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1859-1909) Set,
    This coin is a very popular variety and should be included.
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    NumisnewbNumisnewb Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Sound like good ideas. I think some of these things on the other registry?
    Numisnewb
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should definitely be able to add coins or images when visiting a set [after logging in].
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that PCGS has to now play catch up with NGC, but the new gallery page and signature sets (ie. make-your-own-registry) are pretty cool!
  • Options
    Too Late--NGC now has the "make your own" Signature sets. I added my certified foreign coins, and just sent off 25 more for grading to go in the set.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Create a "Loons Only" (Canada Dollar) Sets for MS & Proof, (It would mimmic the sacagawea sets) & a "Combination set", that would include: ALL Loons: MS, SP, Proof & Comm's Loon Dollars.

Allot of people like the loons and not the silver dollars and vice-versa.

Also a Combined Proof & Specimen Grade Comm. Dollar Set?

Canadain Mint Set - Year Sets. Starting from the early 50s-Present. In both Proof & Mint State.

• Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Try adding the current year New Mint set sometime before December or before the coins have been released for 6 months.

As well, Start allowing points to accumulate in the sets sometime before the end of the year. If pop / weight / point adjustments need to be made as the pops change, then do so during the year or the first 6 months to keep it aligned with the particular coin.