Home Stamps Forum
Options

Help please

Just received some stamps, and I know nothing about stamps. My grandmother left about 15 cancelled "first day of Issue" stamped envelopes all dated from 1961. Can someone tell me a good source to research these, and do you think they are worth anything?

0.04 Lincoln
0.11 Liberty
0.04 workers comp law
0.04 range conservation

Thanks
"You don't need no gypsy to tell you why, you can't let one precious day slip by" G. Allman

Comments

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    4c Workmen's Compensation is Scott 1186, 4c Range Conservation is Scott 1176. Both FDC's catalog at $1 (minimum cat value for a FDC). Fairly common at shows, but still cool to collect.

Not sure about the Lincoln, as there are several 4c Lincoln issues around the early '60s. The only 11c 'Liberty' issue that comes to mind is from the Liberty issue, the Statue of Liberty, 1044A. If none below are the right ones, you could cruise around this site, and see if you recognize the design.

Your Liberty?

If so, it is also $1.25 cat, unless it's tagged ($40 if it is a tagged issue). You'd need an UV light to detect the tagging, but other than that, I don't know too much about tagging varieties.

Do any of these look like your Lincoln?

• Options
    Thanks, you found them. Are they more vauled cancelled or uncancelled.

Thanks again
    "You don't need no gypsy to tell you why, you can't let one precious day slip by" G. Allman
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    About the same.

Unfortunately, almost all US stamps post 1932 aren't worth much more than face value, these included. The quantities printed were simply enormous. They're still avidly collected, just not worth a lot.
  • Options
    Are they addressed to your grandfather? Or are they just on a FDC with some sort of picture and a cancel?

Jerry
  • Options
    They are addressed to my Grandmother with pictures and text " first day of issue"