Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many dupes do you own?

This is a sequel to the other "How many?" threads. Either vintage or modern dupes qualify, but you have to explain WHY you have so many.

Me, I have so many Johnny Bench dupes from every year of his playing career, it's embarassing. Hundreds, total. Some are graded, most are raw from my earlier life as a collector, pre-1991. The best graded ones are in my Bench Master registry set. I even have many dupes of some graded Benches. I seem to lose control when I see a PSA 10 Bench going for cheap. "No... don't give in... You already have 5 copies of that card in PSA 10... dozens in raw mint or NM-MT... You will NOT bid.... but it's going for less than the cost of grading! ..... arrrrrrrghhhhhhhh.... SNIPE!"

I'm sure some of you can relate to that.

On the vintage side, I can never resist a 1961 Golden Press Lou Gehrig. I have 11 of those in PSA 7 and 8, and one PSA 9. Why so many? Well, it's one of the few vintage Gehrigs that are still pretty cheap, and I guess I tell myself that it won't always be like that. But really, I love the card and, frankly, I'm a little insane.

Comments

• Options
    No dupes!
    see my previous response in "how many cards do you own ;-)"

well, I do own a small stack of strawberry topps rc's...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many dupes do you own? >>

JR
    That's almost a Freudian slip - I have a 50 ct./dup stack of Cal Eldred - I "duped" myself into rookie investing back in the late 80s, early 90s!

For every winner, this is 20 losers!!!

Mike
  • Options
    Stone- you are definitely not alone on investing in some duds. I bought a ton of Harold Minor cards who was deemed "baby jordan" at that time. I also have a stack of Brady "90210" Anderson rookie cards collecting dust too. I don't think I picked any winners when it came time to picking the next phenom.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I got hundred counts of scott cooper and Carlos Quitana, Phil Plantier, Tim Naehering, and some other stiffs. What can I do with them should be the next thread!
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be that I have about 100,000 dupes or more.

I started in the early 1980's. I would simply buy boxes at a time and put them in monster boxes except for the stars and better rookies. I would sell those to buy additional boxes. Example: I have at least one and a half five thousand count monster boxes with 1983 Fleer baseball commons and minor stars. The same goes for 1983, 84, and 85 Topps baseball. I pulled the better rookies like Ripken, McGwire, Gwynn, etc and sold some to buy the additional boxes and I still have some that I put away.

Anyway, I have lots of cards (dupes, trips, quads, etc.) from 1981 to 1987 in baseball, football, hockey and a little basketball.

Thats my story.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Too many- a byproduct of constant upgrading.
    Right now I"m sitting on a dupe set of '58 Bell Brands (#2 on the registry), a dupe set of '36 Goudey's (#6 on the registry), a whole bunch of '48 Leaf short prints, a set and a half of T218's,a bunch of graded packs from '51-75, and a whole lot of others from the above sets.
    This happens every year or so, then (usually when I get a catalog from an upcoming Mastro) they all get sold off.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many- a byproduct of constant upgrading.
    Right now I"m sitting on a dupe set of '58 Bell Brands (#2 on the registry), a dupe set of '36 Goudey's (#6 on the registry), a whole bunch of '48 Leaf short prints, a set and a half of T218's,a bunch of graded packs from '51-75, and a whole lot of others from the above sets.
    This happens every year or so, then (usually when I get a catalog from an upcoming Mastro) they all get sold off. >>

Griff
    I'm really worried and got serious concerns about all that stuff being a definite fire hazard and dangerous to your health.

I will be glad to survey and remove all that extraneous "paper" items from your domecile.

There will be no charge for the service since you're a regular contributor on the boards!

Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Whatever graded dupes I have, eventually get sold off. I used to collect multiples of certain key rookies, but I would rather have more individual cards than a few of the same. The only exception is modern - I am happy I have some great Dwayne Wade and Lebron RC's in quantity - but, I am sure I'll eventually sell those off too.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have dupes of my dupes.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I "duped" myself into rookie investing back in the late 80s, early 90s! >>

How many Greg Jefferies, Todd Zeile, Jerome Walton, Brien Taylor, Kevin Maas, Eric Anthony, Todd Van Popels do you want? Please take them... Seriously, please take them. I'll even pay half of shipping, which will probably be.. I dunno... $5... $600 max??

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I remember being caught up in the Greg Jefferies craze, before I hit my head on something and sold off most of my modern. I went around buying loaves of bread because they had Jefferies cards in them. Also had tall stacks of Greenwell, Will Clark, Wally Joyner, Kal Daniels, and other "can't miss" studs. 1987 Bonds and Maddux and Palmeiro, of course, went into the commons pile.
    At least I dumped the stuff that turned out to be truly worthless before they got that way. Mike Greenwell and Joyner in particular turned into some nice raw vintage that 15 years later became the first cards I submitted to PSA. (Yeah, some of it turned out to be trimmed, and most of my NM's turned out to be 6's, but still it was a surprisingly smart move for a young guy). On the other hand, I held onto Canseco and Eric Davis and Gooden even through the many years I was out of the hobby. Good thing I kept those instead of the Bonds and Maddux rookies, eh?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    You can call me Noah, as I generally have at least 2 of a lot of the good cards in my collection. I'm trying to thin out the heard so to speak, but I either currently have in my collection or recently had 2 or more of the following:

1951 Bowman Ted Williams autographed cards (one PSA/DNA'd, one in person)
    1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese autographed cards (one quick opinioned, one GAI/DNA certified)
    1955 Topps Sandy Koufax autographed rookies (both PSA/DNA'd, one slabbed a 5, the other just had the letter)
    1958 Topps Stan Musial All Star Autograph (one PSA/DNA'd, one quick opinioned, and one not certified but I sure is legit)
    1960 Topps Yogi Berra (one quick opinioned, one in person)
    1968 Topps Superstars (one GAI/DNA certified and one in person for all three signatures).
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson autographed rookies (1 PSA/DNA slabbed a 6, 1 PSA/DNA slabbed Authentic, and one quick opinioned).

If I do this with autographed cards, you can imagine what the rest of my collection looks like...
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Here is a brief summary of my obsession, I mean Stargell collection:

1964 Venezuelan- 4
    1966 Venezuelan #99-6
    1966 Venezuelan #255-6
    1967 OPC-7
    1967 Stickers-4 each
    1968 KDKA-19
    1970 OPC-8
    1972 OPC #447-45(bought as a lot)
    1972 OPC #448-25(bought as a lot)
    1965 Kahn's-6
    1963 IDL-5

This is just from the top of my head and does not include the graded or autographed cards! My current obsessions are 1966 Topps and 1970 Topps. My wife is in complete support of this which really helps.

Any Stargell's for sale? LMK!

I NEED A 1965 TOPPS STARGELL AUTOGRAPHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    so many shaq rcs... generally they're not expensive at all (can we spell OVERPRODUCTION class? image ) but sometimes they're just plain dirt cheap, often in lots.
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I have about 25 RC of Wes Chamblerlain. He was a rookie in the early 90's. I thought he might turn out to be a good player, of course just speculation. Anyone need one?
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Eh, what's that? 25 Wilt Chamberlain rookies? I'll take a couple!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I have around 25 1980 Topps Mike Schmidt cards. They were DP, so when I busted the 4 wax boxes and 4 vending boxes he appeared over and over again. I also have around 25 1980 Topps Fred Lynn cards as well.

Julen
    ______
    Collecting:
    1980 Topps: Over 4,000 cards from vending and wax boxes awaiting a giant bonfire
    1969 Topps: Master # 1 1
    1987 Kraft Dinners Home Plate Heroes
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have about 1,800 Rod Carews. Most of them are from 1971 on unfortunately with a TON from 1979-1983. Have at least 100 of his K-mart card from 1981 or '82. Have started sending in some from the early/mid 70's for grading but no 10's yet. A ton of 8's which is generally not worth grading for cards like those. Still love Carew so can't get rid of the cards but they just take up space.

Also, Larry Allen cards. Cowboys, offensive lineman. Only player from my college to do well in the NFL so I started collecting his cards. Have about 300. Dare I say, the biggest Larry Allen collection there is!? image Though he is a sure hall-of-famer his cards are commons. Off topic, amazing for a guy from a non-scholership division II school to end up in the HOF in my opinion! I especially hoard his limited editions. One Pacific card of 100 numbered cards I have 7 or 8 of them. Hey, they are cheap! I know it's odd you don't have to tell me.