Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

I SENT IN 35 MINNESOTA "D" BUSINESS STRIKE COINS. GUESS WHAT I GOT BACK?!

Every single coin was designated as a "Satin Finish"! How did PCGS not catch this? Is this going to be an ongoing problem with these coins? Has anyone gotten Satin Finish coins designated as business strikes?

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian: Assuming the coins are not Satin Finish, but actual business strikes, why not simply contact PCGS Customer Service to privately resolve your issue? I did the same thing last week on (4) CA(d) MS69 coins which accidently showed up in the pop report as regular issue when they were Satin Finish. It was corrected promptly and I know PCGS appreciated it.

MY TWO CENTS - I HOPE PCGS CONTINUES TO "ERR" ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION AND LABELS EVEN "CLOSE CALL" COINS AS SATIN FINISH - frankly, I am pleased to see PCGS being very cautious in their slabbing of non-Satin Finish coins. Collectors would get "burned" real bad if SF coins make it into non-SF holders. Again, IMHO, defaulting coins (especially "d" mint Lincolns and many of the "d" mint state quarters which can take on the look of non-SF coins I believe) into SF is the proper thing to do - at least at this juncture.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Mitch, the coins have already been sent back to PCGS for proper designation. This would have been an error on whoever slabbed the coins not the grader. No big deal.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    It's easy to distinguish the coins IMHO. A real nice gradable business strike coin looks nothing like a nice gradable satin finish coin. If they are indeed world class graders, they should be able to distinguish the coins quite easily. My offer still stands to all who have a questionable 2005 coin that they have purchased to render my opinion and help get it in the correct holder. i have had a few people take me up n it and all you need to do is pay for return shipping. obviously the submitters know what they sent in but this is an attempt to protect the buyer and also to keep dealers honest. Send them on over! Oh, I do not profess to be a better grader than PCGS it's just an opinion from extensive hands on experience.