Home Sports Talk
Options

Another Over the Hill Guy for the Gang

I just knew this was coming when I heard the Marlins designated him for assignment a few days ago:

Yanks expected to obtain Alois Terry

Hey, he came up through the Yankees farm system. Maybe he will prove me wrong. He is a good guy who I always liked as a person.

Career Stats for Alois Terry Leiter

Comments

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Actually, after looking at his stats he did have two decent ERA years the last two years for the Mets, but we are talking about the weak hitting NL here. LOL. He will probably be another one of those washed up Mets pitchers who gets a World Series ring and No Hitter with the Yankees.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    NY sports radio this morning is full of Yank fans who are making this sound like their savior has arrived! image

You guys realize the Marlins cut him because he is having an awful season, and is by most accounts - finished?

Who's next? Anyone else on the waiver wire or trash heap to help you out? image
  • Options

You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

Yes, looking at his stats this year it does appear that ole Al is finished but he did pitch well last year. Maybe he was just NYC homesick as he is from NJ. LOL. Don't get too coc ky about the Sox 17-1 win against the Yankees last night. Remember the 19-8 drubbing the Yankees gave Boston in Game 3 of the ALCS last year? It did not really matter, did it?
  • Options
    Of course, it's only one game. But, this is the second time in two months that the Sox layed the smackdown by the same score - I would be more worried about the severe lack of pitching you have, and how there seems to be no help in sight for the near future.
  • Options

<<I would be more worried about the severe lack of pitching you have, and how there seems to be no help in sight for the near future.>>

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Yankees don't have great pitchers like Bosox does. Your closers have been superb this year, nothing less than miraculous in fact.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i><<I would be more worried about the severe lack of pitching you have, and how there seems to be no help in sight for the near future.>>

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Yankees don't have great pitchers like Bosox does. Your closers have been superb this year, nothing less than miraculous in fact. >>

How pathetic is the yankees pitching that Al Leiter and his 6+ era is the 'answer'?

Al Leiter:

3-7, 6.64 ERA, .292 batting average against, 60 BB vs. 52 Ks, 9 HRs given up in 80 innings.

He'll fit right in!
  • Options

<< <i>. Remember the 19-8 drubbing the Yankees gave Boston in Game 3 of the ALCS last year? It did not really matter, did it? >>

How funny is it you mention not getting to worked up about it, when the night before you were posting how great of a win it was for the Yankees over the Red Sox and Schilling?

LAME.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember the 19-8 drubbing the Yankees gave Boston in Game 3 of the ALCS last year? It did not really matter, did it? >>

I remember that game quite well, Gemmy. That was the last post season game the Yanks won, after being up 3-0. Remember what happened afterwards? It didn't really matter, did it? I mean, being up 3-0 with home field advantage... Regardless of how many runs were scored or how lopsided the victory was.. Blowing out a team and being only, what two or so outs from reaching the World Series? The Yanks went on to be the ONLY team in MLB history to choke a 3-0 lead.

Kinda ironic that of all the games you could have mentioned, you brought up that one.

Ouch...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Axtell,

Al Leiter is very welcome on the Yankees in my view. He came up from their farm system and was in NY for a number of years. I know what you mean he is washed up and all, but have you seen the Yankee pitching staff? He will fit right in. Like other washed up Mets pitchers like Cone and Gooden, he will get a WS ring and a no hitter.

So, don't try and down grade the gem that we got. We deserve to be happy with Leiter. I am excited with Brown starting on Monday. This is a fun team to watch as they scratch and crawl to the top of the division.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I always liked Leiter when he was a Met and I thought that he got a bad rap from the fans and the press when he left. I think that he still has it in him to start pitching effectively again I'm sorry that he's with the evil team in New York.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    I find it hillarious that yankee fans are thinking that Al Leiter is going to give them anything worthwhile.

He's done nothing all year, with an ERA approaching 7, and somehow people outside of NY are supposed to think he's going to do anything but crash and burn?

You can't be serious in thinking he's going to help the team, can you?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ax it is at least possible? You would be surprised at all the times a guy gets traded in the middle of a season and goes on and has a transformation. I remm one year D. Alexander went from 5 and 10 with the Braves and then to the Tigers went 9-0. You just never know. If you do noy try you have no chance.

he is the type of pitcher (left handed, to boot) that could run off 8 to 10 wins. he could also go 0 and 5 and be shown the door.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I find it hillarious that yankee fans are thinking that Al Leiter is going to give them anything worthwhile. >>

So do I! This is great, actually - so I'll play along.

Yes, Al Leiter will turn his career around in 48 hours after being dumped by the Marlins because he was getting hammered night after night, and his ERA was approaching 7.00 (actually, this is good for the Yanks staff). Those pinstripes are magical! image

<< <i>scratch and crawl to the top of the division. >>

$200 million dollars plus for a team that has to "scratch and crawl", eh? How amazing is that?
  • Options
    From what I've seen, Al Leiter is going to have a rough time. However, it's tough to not pull for him considering all the charity work he does.

Brian
  • Options
    << Ax it is at least possible? You would be surprised at all the times a guy gets traded in the middle of a season and goes on and has a transformation.>>

Being the consummate baseball historian I am, and using my vast memory bank I site you one Randall David Johnson circa 1998, the 125-50 Yankees' Record Breaking year.. This memory will be sweet to Axtey because surely he can recall the Big Unit having an ERA of 4.33 and a Won-Loss record of 9-10 in 160 innings pitched. Then Randy was traded away to the Houston Astros and promptly went 10-1 with a 1.28 ERA in 84 innings pitched. Axtell Rose, certainly this must be up there for you with the 2001 Marineers.

Randall David Johnson (Big Unit)
  • Options
    I know Randy Johnson.

And you sir, Al Leiter, are no Randy Johnson.

I am not bashing Leiter in the least. I know he was the player's rep for the union for several years.

What I am bashing are yankee fans who think he is the answer to their pitching woes.

• Options

<< I know Randy Johnson.

And you sir, Al Leiter, are no Randy Johnson.>>

LOL

SENATOR LLOYD BENSON to DAN QUAYLE (October 6, 1988):

"I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."
  • Options
    I remember the Benson remark well. See Gemmy, if you and I can have Axtell with us in a bar, I am sure we would all get along GREAT.

Back to Leiter. Axtell, I know his ERA is approaching 7, but look at the other pitchers we have. They are Far worse. Don't you get it, having Al Leiter is going to be an improvement over D. May, Redding and Sturtze starting. Yes, we have Johnson and Mussina, but Wang is injured. Brown is coming back, but we have a hole to fill still. We need Leiter to fill in, otherwise we can leave a batting tee for the opposing team. We don't want that.

pitching coach Mel will help Leiter out a bit, so he can pitch 6 innings---so what if he gives up 5 runs (that's good for the Yankees). That will alleviate the pressure off the Bullpen.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    I love it when a plan comes together.

For all the nay sayers....ha ha.....Leiter did turn around his career in 48 hours despite being ineffective for the Marlins. Its something about NY that Leiter was missing.

He pitched 6+ innings which is what they mainly needed him for. He is a great clubhouse guy, so he is a great addition no matter what.

One of you mentioned that its hard not to pull for the guy since he is such a nice guy off the field. Yeah, I like pulling for guys like him. He reminds me of Jim Abbott.

• Options
    He turned around his career on one outing?

Wow you really are in desperate need of ANY silver lining, aren't you yankee fans?

I guess with as abysmal a year as your pitching staff has had, any hope is desperately needed. He won't sustain what he did today.
  • Options

<< <i>I love it when a plan comes together. >>

Yes, great plan there! Lets see, sign a whole bunch of pitchers for big, big money - watch them all stink up the place, then watch most all of them get hurt, leaving you with AAA starters that get shelled, which forces you to the waiver wire to spend even more money on a washed up player even the Marlins didn't want anymore.

Great plan! Good to see things are going well in the Bronx!
  • Options
    We are DESPARATE for any silver lining. Why is that so hard to realize that we accept it. We spent millions on free agent pitchers, and most flopped. At least Leiter is a farm hand, originally. Glad we have him now even though we missed out on him for many years. Better late than never.

I am excited about Brown tomorrow.

Gee, is that the stock market index or the average ERA of the Yankee pitching staff?

Next thing you know, Jack Morris will be called out of retirement to pitch for the Yankees.