Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New to Registry Forum - why didn't my set score go up?

I apologize if this is one of those questions that everyone asks, until everyone wants to puke... but I tried searching for it and didn't find anything.

I have Basic Washington Quarter Registry Set currently ranked #27...
Kurt Hagen's Washingtons

I recently got a 1946-S to cross from an NGC old fattie MS 67 into a PCGS 67 Pop 45/3

Before I entered the new coin into my set I had an 1946-S in MS 66...

Before adding the low pop 67 my set was 64.75 grade points, 100% complete, 64.75 set rating.
AFTER adding the low pop 67 my set is 64.75 grade points, 100% complete, 64.75 set rating.

I don't get it... not even a .02 bump in my rating? What's the incentive to upgrade then?

-Kurt-
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
NoEbayAuctionsForNow

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Thanks Craig, not much incentive...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks Craig, not much incentive... >>

Once you upgrade a couple here and there your grade jumps quickly. If you upgrade

a coin that has a high weighting like a 1932-p then the grade pops up alot. The 46-s has a weighting of

only 1 therefore only minor changes. A 1937-p which I think is about the same difficulty as a 46-s

carries a weighting of 3 (which means it is equal to 3 of the 1946-s qtrs). Pcgs may want to review the weights

in the future. For example a 1959-p ms67 with a pop 3 has less weighting than a 1937-p ms 67 witha pop of 40+. >>

I understand, yet still feel cheated. I do hope someone at PCGS would look at something like this. Thanks again, -Kurt-
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    please dont stone me - im not a registry buff.... but my outside opinion:

you just got a nice new low pop coin. get excited about that!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing that can happen is that you can add a coin and forget to Validate the set after the addition. Your rating would not change untill it is validated.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there done that!!!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you just got a nice new low pop coin. get excited about that!

Even better, now you don't have to cough up extra money to buy the next PCGS 67 you see!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I upgraded my 1921 Morgan from 65 to 66 my set score did not change.