Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DID TOPPS MAKE A FACTORY SET IN 1975???

Anybody know if this is legit? Does the wrapping and box look right?

Text
Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps

Comments

• Options
    Yes Fritch used to advertise these. I have never seen one in person. The one he used to advertise I don't think had this sealed plastic set. I have never seen one like that.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that you could find the 1974 Topps Factory Set in the 1974 Sears Wishbook (Christmas catalogue).
    And I have seen them come up from time to time.

I have never seen a 75T factory set.

All and all, these were produced for companies like Sears and Pennies Catalogs for people who live in the boonies and want to get a set and don't have access to wax?

Very interesting
    And it's hard to believe that they would produce the set in exact order?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Interesting item..........I bet it doesn't go cheap.......

PS as Stone193 says: I am only aware of 74 factory set.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    What has happened to the corner via the shrink wrap? The ccentering look sgreat on the #1 but I can see the chips on the corners from here!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a '75 factory set either (1974 had one and the next one I know about is 1985).
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What has happened to the corner via the shrink wrap? The ccentering look sgreat on the #1 but I can see the chips on the corners from here! >>

The first card (in shrinkwrap) is always gonna have issues.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I always hated that about the cello's, getting then open is even more brutal. How do you think the other cards have worn?
  • Options
    He also has '77, '79, '81, and '83. I don't believe Topps made any factory sealed sets in those years. This is some guy who is just shrink wrapping sets. THe shrink wrap all looks exactly the same like they were done at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if a key card is missing from a set too....after all since he is claiming they are factory sealed it isn't his fault. More likely you will have a miscut Brett or Yount rookie, and certainly the Ozzie in '79.

He isn't getting much interest on the '77-'83.

You are better off buying a set where you can see what the cards look like. Heck, even if by some remote chance it were legit, the corners are not going to be perfect anyway. Don't let the greed get to your senses.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never seen a '75 factory set either (1974 had one and the next one I know about is 1985). >>

I agree Bob

My NCOIC bought a factory set in 85 while he was overseas from the Sears catalog I recollect.
    After the 74, the only factory sets I have ever heard of started up in 85 and ran from there to today.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The thing that bugs me about that '75 set is not the cards or how they are wrapped, but rather the box they are sitting next to. I don't recall boxes like that existing back then, at least not the style with the flaps on the ends of the lid that tuck into the edge of the box when closed. I can't recall the first time I bought card boxes like those, but I definitely remember the first ones I had were of the style that the whole long edge of the lid tucked into the long side of the box, next to the cards, usually damaging the corners of quite a few cards just opening and closing them, which is why, I believe, someone designed the better box. I think I still have some of those old boxes around somehwere.

I never bought factory sets back then, but wouldn't they have packed them in some kind of TOPPS box, such as the ones used for vending boxes?
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this is factory sealed...

...from the seller's own, personal, basement "factory"!
  • Options
    What I really enjoy about this board is that I learn every day!

BBCExchange has a buy price for 83 and 84 Topps factory sets.

Here's a 83T Factory set: he wants 150$ for it.

Is this great or what!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mike I have 2 1984 factory sets. they are in a white box with just the date stamped on the front. I think they wholesaled for 8.00.

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike I have 2 1984 factory sets. they are in a white box with just the date stamped on the front. I think they wholesaled for 8.00.

sd >>

Steve
    Ya know what annoys me....is the fact that they are NOT mentioned in the Standard Catalog - come on...we rely on these tomes to help us in research. Want to buy the ultimate joke? The Krause pubs most recent tome on memorabilia....extremely poor....years ago they did a better job.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I clearly remeber getting a 1983 factory set for Chistmas, shortly before the 1984 set came out. It was in a plain brown box just like the one pictured above. I am almost positive that my parents ordered it from the JC Penney catalogue. Funny thing is that the cards were not in numerical order from the factory. It really puzzled me at the time. I think they were probably in the same order as the appeared on the factory sheets before they were cut.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I clearly remeber getting a 1983 factory set for Chistmas, shortly before the 1984 set came out. It was in a plain brown box just like the one pictured above. I am almost positive that my parents ordered it from the JC Penney catalogue. Funny thing is that the cards were not in numerical order from the factory. It really puzzled me at the time. I think they were probably in the same order as the appeared on the factory sheets before they were cut. >>

That's why I was suspicious about the 75T set being in order.

BTW, I bought stuff from the Penny's cat back in the late 80s - got an Mantle ball for 29 bucks - at the time he was under contract with the Scoreboard. You know these are real since Mantle was signing for around 10 bucks for a long time. Then around 1993 I was at the Nassau Colliseum and they wanted 60 bucks.
    I was shocked. Kind of puts the auto biz in perspective in terms of costs today!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Sorry to keep this post off-track since the original topic was about the '75 set but I noticed all the comments about the early '80s set. I know BBCExchange had a 1982 Topps Set on their website last month which was in a "Xmas" style box (colors and pictures).

I picked this up out of curiosity: 1984 Topps Factory Set?

I plan on busting it open to see if it appears to be a legit.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I don't recall boxes like that existing back >>>

Interesting point but he could have simply put the set in this box years later.

Just a feeling that the auction is legit. Doesn't look scammish to me. I could be wrong. I agree though that just because if in fact it is a factory sealed set, doesn't mean it couldn't be a bunch of dinged corners EXMT type cards. I always presume that most ebay sellers like this have already taken these cards to a local baseball card shop to get an offer. The good cards the shop owner, most of them are experienced weasels, will windup getting the good cards if the person really does want to quickly sell. The fact that they put the cards on ebay with no reserve means they do want to sell. I would just have to think that a baseball card dealer, if he saw this set in pristine condition, would have made this seller an offer he wouldn't refuse. So I'd be surprised if that set contains anything that grades over a 6 or 7. I'll admit though that I'm thinking of taking a shot at it if the price isn't too high - would be an interesting speculation. Even an EXMT set is worth something and if it happened to be a pristine set - what a find that would be.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i><<< I don't recall boxes like that existing back >>>

Interesting point but he could have simply put the set in this box years later. >>

That could very well be. But, in my opinion, if it was put in a newer box after the original year of issue, then it can no longer be termed "factory sealed", just as I would no longer consider an unopened box "factory sealed", if the 36 packs were placed in a different box after the fact. I would only consider it factory sealed if it were in the original box. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to find something wrong, or maybe I'm just being too technical.

I do agree however, that even if it were not a pristine, factory-fresh set, it should still have a certain amount of value, assuming everything is at least there and hasn't been tampered with lately.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options

One thing of interest...look at the top of the cards - they appear in consistent laminations or striations and is not random - sorta like something that would come from the factory - like what one sees inside a new vending box - this would not be easy to reproduce IMO.

Since the set has taken such a dive over the years - it used to book in the 900 range Nrmt - if someone had 300 bucks to gamble - that would be my max. The end cards are probably taking a beating.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    <<< Maybe I'm just trying too hard to find something wrong, or maybe I'm just being too technical. >>>

Not being too technical at all - you make very good points. Of course, I as well as I'm sure some others here, aren't looking at the "factory sealed" value, but the value in getting the cards graded. Again...an interesting speculation.

Steve
  • Options
    As someone who also used to get these factory sets from catalogues, They were usually in the brown boxes, not it order and stacked similar to the way vending boxes looked.
  • Options

<<<< But, in my opinion, if it was put in a newer box after the original year of issue, then it can no longer be termed "factory sealed", just as I would no longer consider an unopened box "factory sealed", if the 36 packs were placed in a different box after the fact. I would only consider it factory sealed if it were in the original box. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to find something wrong, or maybe I'm just being too technical. >>>>

If I had a box of unopened wax packs and took them out of the original box, and each one was graded and sealed by GAI wouldnt the "unopened wax pack" carry the weight in an auction taking the "validaty" ofthe packs out of question hence the value is there.

So, I really am not to sure if the box the cards sit in is of any real consequence, rather the seal the cards sit in themselves. that is what GAI would grade.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    As a kid my dad worked for WoolWOrth and I remeber him bring me a factory set at starring at the diffent colors on the cards.
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Looks like someone bought a new shrinkwrap sealing machine.

1983 Sealed Set?

Check out his other "factory sealed" sets.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Now, that is interesting! I know I purchased a few factory sets in the mid 80's, and don't remember the cards themselves actually being shrink-wrapped. The box they came in, maybe - but not the cards. Also, by this point, the factory sets should have come in boxes that were clearly labelled "Topps Factory Set".
  • Options

<< <i>Now, that is interesting! I know I purchased a few factory sets in the mid 80's, and don't remember the cards themselves actually being shrink-wrapped. The box they came in, maybe - but not the cards. Also, by this point, the factory sets should have come in boxes that were clearly labelled "Topps Factory Set". >>

Actually, I called topps and they DID NOT put topps anywhere on the factory boxes in the 70's..In fact, they indicated that they had the cards placed in grayish / white boxes with no indication of the name of the company anywhere on the box.

They were unable to inform me as to the "shrink wrap" those cards seem to be in. I was told I would get a call later today after they were able to inform me as to how the cards were stored in the box (via shrink wrap).

However, I was told that there was a "gap" in the original placement of the cards and the boundries on the box and that a foam was placed in the box to protect the cards from moving.

Again, I am only passing on the info as it was presented to me by an employee in the (cards/ product) who has been at topps since 1974.

She also indicated that "factory sets" were made back then. becuase she has every factory set since that year in her closet ( she has since passed them on to her children), she gets them every year when they are issued as a perk.

I am not saying that this item is the real deal, but so far, by all accounts it does fit the discription that topps provided me, the final seal for me at least will be if they actually wrapped the cards themselves or not.

I will keep you posted..
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    IJLC
    Thanx for taking the time to call Topps.

The 74T factory set that was sold by Sears or Penny's was in a colorful box - either that was an aftermarket thing done for them by a big distributor or she may have forgotten that they may do a special promotion box for Christmas?

Super job!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree - thanks for the research. Something still doesn't sit right with me on these sets, I wonder if anyone who purchased one is a member here, and can comment on them?
  • Options
    For what it's worth my grandmother purchased a 1975 Topps Football factory set for me from the JC Penny catalog. As best as I can remember (I was 9) it was in a plain brown cardboard box. I kept the cards in the box for several years and finally but them in nine card pages and a binder. I do not recall if they were shrink wrapped or not.

Shannon
  • Options
    Well Boys and Girls,

I have sent a link to Topps concering the 75 Set that was on ebay...and here it is straight from the horses mouth (TOPPS):

Topps Did NOT begin over sealing the factory sets until the 80's, and the item you showed us has been checked by the head of our product delevopment and marketing departments.

Both of these individuals have been with Topps for over 30 years and stated that TOPPS has NEVER sealed sets in that way before. All cards in SETS were placed loose within the box.

Stone:
    In answering your question reagrding Xmas sets Topps told me that they did have a holiday set that was issued with a colorful box in the 70's and did so in grocery type packs in the early 50's to accomodate stocking stuffers during the holiday season, but again, never had the Name Topps on any regular issue complete sets in the early to mid -70's.

So, in conclusion,
    What we have here is a FRAUD!!!!

And If the seller wants to come on these boards and defend him/herself by all means please do. I would like to know how you (seller) can state "FACTORY SEALED" when in fact topps never "Factory Sealed " those Cards..Maybe the factory you are refering to is in your basement.

and for future refrence for those that may have a question about other older topps baseball card products:

Please feel free to contact topps yourself..heres the contact info:
    Topps 1-212-376-0300.
    you can ask for Anne at ext. 515 (baseball card division)

email address for her correspondence is: Amaniscalco@topps.com

• Options
    Thanx again IJ

So, ask and you shall receive!

I would say this was a Topps product.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree that set is a fraud. I do remember ads in scd, sportscards plus that did have 1975 factory sets, and the cards were loose in th box.
  • Options
    stone:

here is the complete correspondence from Topps:
    I looked this over myself as did the head of our product development and marketing department, we at topps never cello wrapped over our cards and then put them in a box.

I was told that by the head of the warehouse department which does this process, the ends of the cards would get bent. As far as the box themselves, we did have a box that the sets came in that was colorful but they were issued during the holiday season in the early to mid-seventies and all other regular issue complete sets were issued in grayish/white boxes with the cards loose inside.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Anne

So stone,

what you are showing is a holiday version according to the email that I received, and it was not the regular issue that a case of sets would come in.

at least thats how I interpert the email.
  • Options
    I agree with the 74T set being a holiday thing - that's what I remember someone telling me - it was a special in the catalog.

I have purchased some good stuff from the Penny's catalog years ago - e.g. they used to buy stuff from the ScoreBoard when they were legit - Mantle auto balls were 29.95, the DiMaggio was a bit more and for what ever reason the Ryan ball was more than the Mantle ball - I think I'm going back to about 1990 in the X-mas catalog. And back then, there was no reason to sell fake Mantles - he signed for about 10 bucks at a show.

thanx again for your hard work
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

mike >>

wow, thats nice!.. too bad the seller has crappy feedback..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

mike >>

wow, thats nice!.. too bad the seller has crappy feedback.. >>

Perry
    I would be affraid that the set had been messed with?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    link to the closing price

Whew - $825 for who knows what - most probably a bunch of EXMT cards - worth something but not even close to $825. Of course the buyer gave the scammer positive feedback because he believes it's a factory sealed set and probably did not open it.
  • Options
    PLEASE READ!! ALL Paypal payments OVER $20 MUST Include an additional 50 cents for delivery confiramtion due to Paypals unfair chargeback policy.

Guy is selling a set that should reach 400.00 and needs 50 cents more?

as for that 75 set whew is right. I figured it would go for 5 bills myself.

hey but if that set is truly nmnt/mnt and the cards are decently centered the buyer just may have made out. Thatis a lot of ifs I know.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

hey but if that set is truly nmnt/mnt and the cards are decently centered the buyer just may have made out. Thatis a lot of ifs I know.

SD >>

Well heres what I now know to be the truth..The seller (and before anyone assumes anything NO NO NO I did not buy the set) Has admitted to buying these cards at an auction, and in fact, had the nerve to say that the cards are better protected than what topps could have done for you.

well, my response to him would have been if I wanted to protect my cards better than a loose set of cards I could have put each card in a penny sleeve inside a top loader!!!

rather than advertise a factory sealed set that was NOT factory sealed. I am sure the Key cards have been picked thru and they are all ex at best.

so the end to this whole thing is the Seller was selling a bunch of Factory sealed sets that were in fact NOT sealed by the factory.

Case closed , The defense rests..your Honor!
  • Options
    Since I was quoted I would like to add:

I was being sarcastic. i fully understand that it is highly doubtful that those cards would yield 9's and 10's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    steve not inferring you meant anything by what you said, you clearly stated it was a lot of "ifs"..

sorry if you thought I was picking on you or questioning your thoughts, that was not my intention
  • Options
    Thats ok Ijust i guess i have just been a lil touchy as of late, thanku for clarifying, I appreciate it.

SD
    Good for you.