Home Sports Talk
Options

Raffy at 2,999 in the 6th inning!

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
you want to watch history? maybe his next at bat? i hope he hits a home run! i have never had anything against this player. all this hall of fame talk.. PUT it to end he will be a hall of famer no matter what. this year at 40 years old he is 4th in hr's and rbi's.

Comments

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

COOL image
  • Options
    going to 7th inning he comes up 5th! could happen tonite!
  • Options
    Is the game on ESPN?
  • Options
    no its not i have the package.. 2 out in the 7th looks like he will come up in the 8th baseball tonite will cut to it for sure.

inning over he bats 2nd in the 8th!
  • Options
    << no its not i have the package>> Do you have an internet package or satellite TV?
  • Options
    comcast digital cable. im in atlanta so i have to bye the package to see the mets play! sometimes i wish i didnt waste my f@cking money!

top of 8th coming up! baseball tonite should cut to it.
  • Options
    he walked! tomorow night it will be!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I am not doubting he will make the hall.

But it's troubling that so many people can't put his career into context (live ball, juiced ball era) and the fact he wasn't near the best first basemen (let alone best player) during his playing days.

He's a good player, but a good player who was never able to dominate a single season, let along a run of seasons.

The media's obssession with hyping up whoever is hot this week and the fan's obssession with numbers even out of context is why he's being discussed as an all-time great.
  • Options
    axtell when has the media ever overhyped this guy(raffy)? he is about to BECOME THE 4TH PLAYER EVER TO HIT 500 HR'S AND 3,000 HITS.

He will be the 26th player EVER to have 3,000 hits.

he is 40 years old this year and he is 4th in hr's and rbi's at his posistion!

on another note you same guys gonna say mike piazza wont be a hall of famer?? id like to hear this argument as well. skin pinch your invited to give me all the numbers?

and axtell or skinpinch, i know axtell is an m's fan, i have no idea who you route for. i will bet that if raffy was a mariner or whoever skinpinch goes for he would be a hall of famer?
  • Options
    <<but a good player who was never able to dominate a single season>>

This domination thing ad nauseum. The guy DID dominate, How many 50,000+ other guys have ever hit 500+ Homers and 3,000+ hits?
  • Options

<< <i>axtell when has the media ever overhyped this guy(raffy)? he is about to BECOME THE 4TH PLAYER EVER TO HIT 500 HR'S AND 3,000 HITS.

He will be the 26th player EVER to have 3,000 hits.

he is 40 years old this year and he is 4th in hr's and rbi's at his posistion!

on another note you same guys gonna say mike piazza wont be a hall of famer?? id like to hear this argument as well. skin pinch your invited to give me all the numbers?

and axtell or skinpinch, i know axtell is an m's fan, i have no idea who you route for. i will bet that if raffy was a mariner or whoever skinpinch goes for he would be a hall of famer? >>

Uhm how about Larry Bowa leading off baseball tonight saying that Raffy is a first ballot HoFer?

How many stories in the past 2 weeks have we heard crap about Raffy's countdown to 3000?

Piazza is the greatest hitting catcher EVER. Raffy hasn't even sniffed that status at first...there is no comparison between them.

LISTEN: I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS LIFELONG ACCUMULATION OF STATS. A Hall of Famer should be one who defined his position, one who dominated, either at the top or near the top for a period of time. Raffy did NEITHER. He's a mediocre first baseman in the field, and in the scheme of things, he's been in the middle of the pack at his position for his entire career.

How many people do you know who, before his approach of 3000 hits, was a fan of Raffy? Who thought of him as an all time great?

A great number of my friends follow baseball closely, and not a one cares one iota about him.

• Options
    9th inning tejada up raffy on deck 2 out! he might get up again tonite!

never mind tejada hit to the pitcher.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    3000 hits gets you to the Hall. So does 500 dingers .... although I feel that will be much easier in todays game.

Raffy was never a dominant player, and I never thought too much of him (even less now), but there is no argument that he will make it to the Hall of Fame. I would not be surprised if it is not on the first ballot however ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Kuhlman, I've followed two teams in my life, and believe it or not they are....the Orioles, and The Cubs! I am what you would call the least biased sports fan in the world. Like I said before, if Palmeiro wasn't the 28th best hitter in the league so often, and if he could have hit a few more of his homers with men on base, maybe his teams would have won more games? You think?

He just is NOT as helpful to his teams as the recent typical Hall of Famer of the past 20 years. How could he be when you look at all the evidence presented. Who cares if he played longer than some. McGwire could have played longer too and been slightly above average or average, but he retired, the Cardinals took his salary and put it towards Scott Rolen. That is a better scenario than what Palmeiro's employers have done. Palmeiro's employers have paid him very good money the last few years and he hasn't been that special.

Piazza??

He makes the handsome hall of fame!

With yearly OPS+ rankings of 1,1,2,5,6,6,10, and with that value coming from the catchers positions, Mike Piazza equals EASY HALL OF FAMER! Even if he couldn't throw out the garbage, his value of hitting at the catcher position makes him a Hall of Famer.

MVP shares of 3.15. How he finsihed behind Barry Larkin and Bichette in the 1995 MVP race is beyond comprehension!! THe writers must not have known of the Coors effect too much back then, and Larkin? I just scratch my head as I have no explanation on that. Same in 1997, writers must not have understood Coors effect to give it to Walker over Piazza. Piazza was the best hitter in the league both of those years, and he was a cacther. Nobody gave his team as good as an advantage over their enemies than Piazza gave the Dodgers those years!
  • Options

<< <i><<but a good player who was never able to dominate a single season>>

This domination thing ad nauseum. The guy DID dominate, How many 50,000+ other guys have ever hit 500+ Homers and 3,000+ hits? >>

Slappy.

Why don't you show me a single season where he was the best hitter in baseball?

How about a run of seasons where he was a top 5 hitter in baseball?

You won't be able to, because he DIDN'T!

• Options

<<I would not be surprised if it is not on the first ballot however ...>>

I would be extremely surpised if he is not elected on the first ballot.