Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'52 Topps Mantle in local paper..

Noticed this add in our local 'bargain finder' paper. Too good to be true.. I guess these scammers who haven't had much on eBay lately are turning to the classifieds.. I should meet this guy. image (and say BAD!)

RARE UNGRADED 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card, if you are looking for great finds at a fraction of the cost please contact me for great baseball cards for just pennies on the $$$$. $675. firm. EDMONTON ALBERTA. Tel: 780-995-2338

Comments

• Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    At least you get a chance to see it in person right?? image
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Why so cynical ?

Maybe the seller is just a really nice guy
    who gets enjoyment out of saving strangers thousands of dollars on cards ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    He sent me these scans..

imageimage

and these.. they're also for sale..

imageimage
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Hmm, cynical? YES! That's me. But seriously, if this were the real deal, you would be able to see the goods before handing over any $$.

However, I believe the scan of that Mantle is a well known fake. Crease through the hat, somewhat rounded corners...and only $675.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    just got another e-mail from him telling me to check out his other cards for sale at these other links..

1933 GOUDEY BABE RUTH

1951 BOWMAN MICKEY MANTLE
  • Options
    The edges on the '52 Mantle look like the edges of the Hostess cards I used to cut out with a pair of scissors. Look at how crooked the top edge is. It is obvious it was cut with a pair of scissors all the way around the card.
  • Options
    The 52 mantle is the same copy i bought about a year ago from a kid in california. I sent it to Josh ( a76****) from the boards and he scaned it into his fake mantle guide. It is the exact same down to the upside down (Y) crease at the top. All of the other things you used to look for are correct. Such as the stitching on the baseball and the black around the Yankee box. The only problem was it came from a high quality copy of an ORIGINAL one.
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    What is the guy in CA name? I got taken by some guy in San Diego aka John Stevens aka Elmo Dill aka Robert Stewart.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea
    They know that ebay if flooded with scams....crook A says to crook B..."my brother, who used to collect, told me that a lot of people look in the paper for cards...figuring they are going to get the "find" of century for pennies on a dollar" Crook B responds..."I'm there dude!"

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    This guys name is Keith his e-mail is tippy123@telus.net