Home Q & A Forum
Options

Chop marked, Mint State Trade Dollars

stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
I've now seen several (3) Trade Dollars that had chop marks and were graded as MS coins by PCGS. This seems to be an oxymoron. Since the coins have chop marks they were in circulation for some period of time. The definition of "Mint State" by both PCGS and ANA is a coin that has never been in general circulation "and" shows no wear of any kind. So the question is how can a circulated coin be graded as uncirculated? The chop marks are a clear indication of circulation, and shouldn't they also be considered a sign of wear?

I think the MS or uncirculated definition is used to identify coins that have no marks or wear except those caused by the mint itself. I'm sure a lot of coins have been pulled from circulation and graded as MS, but in this case there is proof that they were circulated for some period of time. So it seems to me the best grade they are entitled to is AU58.
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

You have a point, but we do not consider chop marks to be signs of circualtion. They are marks made on the coin and they can be made prior to circualtion. We certainly have seen a few cherry Uncs with chop marks. They are rare, but they look solidly mint state to us. I guess it just depends on how you define your terms and how you interpret the definitions.

Thanks,

David