Home Stamps Forum
Options

Picked up a few more stamps! Check them out! Updated with question!

The airmails are my fave in this group.

Bison and top middle is my fave here.

Airmails....way cool

top and lower right are my faves on this set.

I love both of these.......way killer!

Thanks for looking!

PURPLE!

Comments

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    I'm supposed to be "on hiatus" from buying for the rest of the month, but I really want to pick this one up:

So, Purple, are you collecting US by #'s, just buying what you like, hoarding some stuff? Just curious.

Edited to add: Looks like someone beat me to it. Oh well. image
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Hey DJC!

Here is my story. When I was 6 my dad bought me an album and a few stamps. I started getting into it but as I got older I left it set.

I moved back to my hometown last year and my mom dug up my old album. I couldn't believe it. All the stamps I had were there and everything. I also found out about how much I didn't know LOL!

So I'm just going to fill this album with some regular Stamps. Used (but look ok ) or unused doesn't matter. I'm not really going for the perfect set or anything. I just want a pretty decent set. Obviously some of the stamps that are a bit more expensive I will take into consideration and want a nice example.

I'm not in the upper tier of collecting but willing to learn as much as I can!

DJC, I have a question for you regarding one of my stamps.

1)Is this stamp Offset Printing? If yes, Type III or Type IV

2)If no to the Above question then is it the 1917-1919 Unwatermarked Perf 11. Is it Type I or Type II?

I know it is not a coil so it don't fit in that slot.

Here is a blow-up of the Stamp in question

Thank you DJC! If you need a bigger picture....no problem. I had to shrink this one 50%.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    You would have to ask me about a Washington-Franklin! It's by far my weakest area (that, and there's only a few hundred of 'em, mostly differentiated by very minor things.) But, I'll take a stab at it.

It could be Scott #333, 359, 376, 426, 464, 501, 502, 529, 530, or 541 (and that's excluding imperfs & coils) on the basis of design, color and denomination. Fun, huh?

To really tell, it's easiest to have it in hand. Without watermark fluid, a perf gauge, and a millimeter scale it's gonna be almost impossible to tell for certain. BTW, if you're gonna do Washington-Franklins to any serious degree, I really recommend this US Specialized gauge. It has gauges for millimeter measurement of design areas (essential for rotary vs offset), a really good perf gauge and a grill gauge.

It looks like type IV. In type III the P and O in POSTAGE is completely seperated by a line of color. In type IV, the P and O are joined in the white areas, which looks to be the case. Type IV was used in offset printings only. So #530 is the most likely culprit. #530 is unwatermarked, perf 11 and offset printed.
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Thank you much DJC!

PURPLE!