Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally....after 33 years of searching!

After 33 years of searching auctions, show, rolls, etc. I have FINALLY located a 1958P Franklin in a PCGS holder
with the type 2 (proof eagle) in 65FBL. Unknown to many collectors, this comprised about 20% of the 1958P's
and were struck from retired proof dies (Breen). I have only ever seen 3 others in FBL, in '64 holders. This
particular type is rarer in FBL than the '53-S! I tried to attach a photo, but the file was too large.

Comments

• Options
    Dont know much about Frankies but it sounds like a sweet find. image
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    Congratulations on the find.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    flykiteflykite Posts: 147
    A follow-up....the certification # on the slab is 7943882; and according to the # lookup, 7943881, 83, and 84
    are also in 65FBL holders, so assuming they were from the same submission, these also could be type 2
    reverses....check those holders....Ed
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Fantastic! Wish I had your patience. Remember this one:

1958-P PCGS MS64 Non FBL
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Seth
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. It's always nice to find one after a long search.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to take anything away from your find, but for the first 14 years of your search, PCGS did not exist so not finding one should be expected.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Time to celebrate with a picture appropriate to 33 years ago. Congratulations!

"Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options

What are the diagnostics for the 1958 (P) type 2?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna

• Options
    Larry:

What to look for is a "high-relief" eagle, which appears on all post-1956 proofs, and only on the '58
    and '59P business strikes. there were approx. 800,000 '58P's minted, but almost impossible to find
    in FBL.

Dbldie55:

Yeah, but i've been an FBL collector since my mentor made me aware of such a thing looong before
    it was fashionable. This guy was a cameo proof collector, but always looked for nice business strikes.

Ed
  • Options
    Lee:

Yeah! I LOVE THAT COIN!!! Keep it forever, as that kind of color is rare, indeed!

FYI: No type 2 reverse coins appear in mint sets, unless they were switched at some point.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Regardless of the PCGS FBL designation (since we all know the FBL standard is inconsistent), what do you think of the bell lines?

Also, is it white or toned?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Pure white, and the nicest lines I've ever seen on one of these; they are complete.
  • Options
    Everyone needs to check out the collection of coins at overstock.com auctions. I have gotten several coins from them including the 1964 Washington Quarter in Rare PF67 DeepCameo. I love it.
    auctions.overstock.com