Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Set PBA Bowling Stars

1974 Set PBA Bowling Stars

Anyone ever heard of these cards:

They come in 10 different rack packs (labeled Set No. 1 thru Set No. 10)

Each rack pack contained 4 (2 1/4" x 3 1/2") PBA Bowling Stars' Color Action Photos (plus an additional same sized "lesson card" in each pack, marked "MINI" Lessons by former ABC Masters Champ, Lou Scalia).

Front of eack pack says, Endorsed by Professional Bowlers Assoc. (With a Logo).

I have 2 complete sets (40 players and 10 lesson cards in each set).

Has anyone ever heard of such cards?

I was told they are from 1974

Anyone?

rbd

Comments

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I don't know much about the set but the entire set in its original package is on Ebay for $15.

Link

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    An entire set of Sports cards that are 31 years old still in their original wrappers?

I have never heard of them but for $15.00 I will take a flyer...........
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    i sold the ben webber card raw for $18
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the early 70s, there should be cards of Dick Weber, Billy Welu, Don Carter, Ray Bluth, Carmen Salvino,
    Buzz Fazio, Earl Anthony, Nelson Burton, Dave David, Johnny Petraglia, Mark Roth, Marshall Holman, Gary
    Dickenson - just to name a few....

I was a big bowling fan from around 1974 to about 1989. Then just lost interest.

The game of bowling never got any respect and almost never got air time on ESPN except, perhaps, if someone shot a 300 to win the tournament. That fat guy, with the beer and cigarette stereotype is a shame. It takes a lot of stamina and skill to bowl like these guys week after week.

imageimage

Mark Roth and Earl Anthony were two of my favorite bowlers from the late 70s and the "King" of bowling in my mind is Don Carter - what made him interesting is that he had a totally unconventional stroke - he kept is elbow bent when he delivered the ball.

I know this is more than anyone wanted on the topic but if there is an odd sport - I'm there!

mike

edit: And to me, bowling's "Ambassidor" was the late Dick Webber - you guys probably know his son Pete.

Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Where id lostdart on this one?????image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Mark Roth is a legend. He is the Bobby Orr, the Wilt Chamberlain, of bowling. He single handedly did more to change the game than anyone who came before him or anyone after.

When I see replays of what he was able to do with a bowling ball in the pre-polyurethane era it just staggers me.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark Roth is a legend. He is the Bobby Orr, the Wilt Chamberlain, of bowling. He single handedly did more to change the game than anyone who came before him or anyone after.

When I see replays of what he was able to do with a bowling ball in the pre-polyurethane era it just staggers me. >>

Agree Boo
    Mark was one of the early "power bowlers" who cranked a ball with speed and rotation! He's one of the few guys who has made the 7-10 split on TV!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where id lostdart on this one?????image >>

Lostdart is now the proud new owner........image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where id lostdart on this one?????image >>

Lostdart is now the proud new owner........image >>

Congratulations!
    If you open the set - how about sharing some scans?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    "Mark was one of the early "power bowlers" who cranked a ball with speed and rotation! He's one of the few guys who has made the 7-10 split on TV!"

You watch old footage of Mark Roth, and compare it to the style of Earl Anthony, or Dick Weber, and you can't believe you're watching guys playing the same sport. He was just a fantastic bowler, and whether you like bowling or take the 'Jim Rome' approach to it it's hard not to appreicate what he did with a 16 lb. sphere. There are guys today using reactive resin equipment who can't get half the carry that Mark Roth used to get-- and remember, he was doing it in the pre- LT48 era.

For the non-bowlers out there, Mark Roth would be the equivalent of a guy who could drive 340 yards with an old wooden Wilson driver. Or a guy serving a tennis ball at 135 with one of those antique wood raquets.

• Options
    no respect,but i think BOWLING has better ratings than the NBA and buries the WNBA.
  • Options
    Boo
    Agree!

The one thing that is/was interesting over the years is the contest between the finesse bowler who plays the 2nd arrow or the outside line/1st arrow with anywhere between a 3/4 and full roll - Walter Ray Williams is a control bowler who has done really well but they don't provide the excitement of the guy who cranks the ball with a belly shot from the extreme left side! (righty bowler of course)

Contrast Dick Webber who played around the 2nd arrow - who threw a controlled ball that was designed to either bury the pocket or hit light with mixing action with his son Pete who cranked the ball and destroyed the pins on every pocket hit.

Keep in mind tho - if the lanes are tight - the finesse bowler has the advantage - especially if the outside line if hitting. This of course is all my opinion based on my undestanding of what's going on.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    No one would ever accuse Mark of being a "looker" but he was one of the most dominant players during his prime!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roth sure had a nice set of Chicklets. I remember some showdowns with Earl Anthony and Roth - a tour de force. Also enjoyed the old "Superstars" competitions - nothing like seeing pro athletes doing other sports like bicycling and bowling, in addidtion to the traditional athletic events.

Too bad Topps didn't make a Kingpin set after the movie, I imagine it would have been a hit.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    "Walter Ray Williams is a control bowler who has done really well but they don't provide the excitement of the guy who cranks the ball with a belly shot from the extreme left side!"

Walter is a freak of nature. He's like Michael Jordan--- he has no peer, so you can just leave him out of the discussion. I am continually amazed by how accurate the guy is. What's he have, like 24 revs on the ball? But it doesn't matter, because he goes dead flush on every single shot. And, of course, he never misses a spare.

Freaky thing about Walter-- When the lane conditions change he doesn't move his mark. He just puts or less rotation, and more or less speed, on the ball. Compare this to Norm Duke, who can bowl anywhere from the 20 board to the 3 board. I have no idea how Walter pulls this off-- to have that kind of speed control (he must have it down to the 1/10 MPH) is stunning.
  • Options
    "Contrast Dick Webber who played around the 2nd arrow -"

If you ever have the chance watch any REAL old Dick Weber footage you'll see him bowling over the 15 board, hooking the ball about 2 boards, and carrying. In other words, just barely enough hook to carry the five pin.

I shudder to think what I would average if I bowled like that. Probably 150.
  • Options

<< <i>"Contrast Dick Webber who played around the 2nd arrow -"

If you ever have the chance watch any REAL old Dick Weber footage you'll see him bowling over the 15 board, hooking the ball about 2 boards, and carrying. In other words, just barely enough hook to carry the five pin.

I shudder to think what I would average if I bowled like that. Probably 150. >>

Boo
    Dick played the 3rd arrow? I would've guessed - based on memory that he would be a classic 2nd arrow guy? Looking for a lot of light hits and mixing it up?

On Walter Ray - I think the key to his game/accuracy is the fact that he started his career as a champion horseshoe player. Just a guess. And I agree - the guy varies the speed on his ball all and all.
    I want to say, that he would also try the outside line if conditions dictated?

I assume you bowled? Back in the early 80s I practiced about 20 games/day. Played in local city championships - and because I had an "official" league average that included "very slow" mixed leagues with my wife, I got loads of handicap pins. Thus, I had no problem finishing in the money. Not a lot, mind you, but a lot of fun!

Mike
  • Options
    Do you think I could find a UD Mark Roth "game-used" Munsingwear polo shirt like the one in the photo?

• Options
    Cool thread. Those guys were my idols. Here is what my Columbian Yellow Dot (bleeder) got me...

Kevin
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see a bowling thread here. I have actually met Dick Weber and bowled with Pete Weber this past weekend in a PBA tournament in Jonesboro, Ark. Pete didnt do well in the tournament as I felt he still is getting over the loss of his father a few months ago. The cards that were mentioned in the thread are fairly available at many tournament sites. The 100 card Kingpin Set which was printed in 1990 is a fairly complete set of a lot of today's older bowlers from Walter Ray to Pete Weber as well as some Hall of Famers like Anthony, Holman and Roth.

As for the quality of bowlers nowadays, I agree that most of today's 200 average house bowlers could not average 170 on a PBA condition and that many of today's bowlers on the PBA tour could not compete with the guys from the hey day of the PBA like Dick Weber. Mark Roth, etc.

Still, I think $10-$15 for a set of the cards isnt too far off of, especially for a set over 30 years old.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    TFCTFC Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Here are several examples of the 1972 PBA set. This is an inexpensive set for a 40 card set that is over 33 years old. Some great PBA bowlers in this set with 15 of the cards having members of the PBA hall of Fame.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>I shudder to think what I would average if I bowled like that. Probably 150. >>

Hey! What's wrong with averaging a 150!? image

Actually, I'm much better than that....I have a 175 average! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    By the second pitcher of beer i am a much better bowler...
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx